Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky v Virgin (Again)

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Found this on http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/a58442/survey-virgin-media-customers-not-happy.html

"As Virgin Media gets ready for a marketing push through its sponsorship of Big Brother 8, the company has been dealt a blow by a new survey.

Commissioned by Swiss investment bank UBS and conducted by research company GfK NOP, the survey of 1,000 households found that 45% of Virgin's television customers would switch provider if they could. Of the study group, 10% planned to quit as a result of the removal of Sky One and other channels from Virgin's cable service.

The research stated that Virgin was suffering an "identity crisis" as Sky's broadband and landline offerings had taken away from Ntl:Telewest previous "triple-play" offering, and that the customers surveyed perceived that Sky offered a better product and customer service. Although 14% of households had an "ideological aversion to Sky and are unlikely ever to subscribe".

The report said: "Our survey strongly suggests that Sky customers do not see Virgin as a credible alternative...Virgin appears to have underestimated the value of Sky's basic channels, with our survey indicating up to 400,000 subscribers could switch to Sky."

A Virgin Media spokesperson said: "The headline projections UBS has driven off this sample group should be treated with extreme caution. As we have said, the full impact of the loss of Sky's withdrawal of its basic channels will be seen in the second quarter. We have seen a significant drop-off in call-centre activity since March/April when this survey was carried out and, based on actual customer behaviour to date; we believe TV customer losses have been contained to a fraction of that suggested by UBS."

How bad is Virgins Customer Service if people think Sky do it better??

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I saw an advert in the Metro for V+. Has anyone got it? Apparently it's their own "better" version of Sky+.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Well Virgin's customer service is only gonna be the ntl customer service, widely accepted as the UK's worst, so it isn't too surprising.

Mind you AmEx must come in pretty close behind with their f***ing useless Mumbai call centre. As if never being able to use the worthless plastic wasn't annoying enough

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
awful overall , the broadband cuts out at dodgy times and i don't use the phone much

still really gutted about the loss of sky one , especially with the DT finale on Sunday coming up :down:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Simster said:
I saw an advert in the Metro for V+. Has anyone got it? Apparently it's their own "better" version of Sky+.

its a better box for what it can do, I like V+ its a great improvement on my freeview PVR ..

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Braders, have you found out who the bird in your avatar is yet? Frankly, I want to see the rest of the gif. :love:

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
When I switched to Sky about 6 years ago I was amazed at how much faster the box responded to the remote. Sky changed channels almost instantly whilst NTL took almost 5 seconds. I did notice that when I switched to Sky+ it added a tiny delay.

My parents have V+ so I used it last weekend when I popped down and the box seemed a slow as ever. Being a bit of a channel flicker I could never go to Virgin for that reason.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
I rang Virgin's sales team the other day for an installation and the pre-recorded message said they were on a training day. Asked me to leave a message and someone would call me back. 3 days later and no phone call. Very poor.

McShane79

Oct 20, 2005
Worthing
Virgin are shite. Would change if I could, but as I'm in a flat, I can't get a dish.

Last week, I lost the free on demand service we have. I was literally watching 1 episode of Black Books, then went to watch the next one, and it was saying I was unsubscribed. Fuckers. What pisses me off is that most other people I have spoken to can still get it for free.

So I ring them up, and am told that it was a 3 month promotional thing that expired on the 20th May. Ok, so how come other people still have the service?

Branson's a load of Bollocks.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Sky are very good - if you play them right. Last week I called SKY claiming I wanted to disconnect to go to virgins 3 for £30 deal. I had no intention of cancelling but occasionaly phone to cancel and have previously been given 3 months half price, free Sports/movies etc. Anyway this time they offered free sky plus, no installation and no monthly charge which I was very happy to accept.

The guy in customer rententions seemed chuffed, he'd saved a disconnection and I'd got a good deal so it was Win/Win but free HD is next on the list.
:clap:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Dougal said:
v+ is shite if you want it for HD , apparently only got BBC in HD and thats it

and a lot of the VOD content is HD as well !!!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Virgin Media have got the rights to exclusively screen all the games in the Barclays Premier League for three years from the 2007-2008 season. You can see them on 'On Demand' the few hours after the game ends.

:nice:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
McShane79 said:
Virgin are shite. Would change if I could, but as I'm in a flat, I can't get a dish.

Last week, I lost the free on demand service we have. I was literally watching 1 episode of Black Books, then went to watch the next one, and it was saying I was unsubscribed. Fuckers. What pisses me off is that most other people I have spoken to can still get it for free.

So I ring them up, and am told that it was a 3 month promotional thing that expired on the 20th May. Ok, so how come other people still have the service?

Branson's a load of Bollocks.

lost on demand too, we will cancel Virgin as soon as the year contract is up,

and as for the customer services it is WORSE, no MUCH WORSE than NTL's ever was

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I had V+ put in on saturday, 20MG broadband and the remaining set top box put upstairs

I have the VIP package £85 per month and I think the V+ think is brilliant.

I had an issue with setting up Broadband and after 10 minutes chatted with some bloke from Bombay who was really pleasant and although I had not read how to set the broadband up correctly, he talked me through it and was very helpful.

I am as happy as a pig in swill with the transaction....just got to pay for it now...:lolol:

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Dave the Gaffer said:
I had V+ put in on saturday, 20MG broadband and the remaining set top box put upstairs

I have the VIP package £85 per month and I think the V+ think is brilliant.

I had an issue with setting up Broadband and after 10 minutes chatted with some bloke from Bombay who was really pleasant and although I had not read how to set the broadband up correctly, he talked me through it and was very helpful.

I am as happy as a pig in swill with the transaction....just got to pay for it now...:lolol:

Enjoy it while it works....the honeymoon will soon be over :(

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
TonyW said:

Nonsense, my Virgin+ and broadband never causes me any problems at all :)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
TonyW said:

thankyou...have a lovelly day yourself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here