Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Sky Stream or Sky Q?

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I threatened to leave a few months ago and now I'm paying £35 a month for Sky Signature, Sky Cinema, HD and Sky Go. I'm currently on an online chat to see if I can get a discount on Sky Sports and TNT. Broadband is with Vodafone.
Good price, that's helpful. I have multi room as well. It's the sports packages where they ramp up the price though.

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
Good price, that's helpful. I have multi room as well. It's the sports packages where they ramp up the price though.
It didn't go well. They wanted £28 a month for TNT and £27 for Sky Sports and wanted to increase Sky Cinema by £12 a month for some inexplicable reason.

Aug 21, 2011
I just renegotiated with Virgin a couple of weeks ago, 300m Broadband, Sky sports 4K and BT Sports with their latest TV box (which I find quite clunky) for just over £61 pm. As others have said, set your 30 day notice and wait for the call from retentions.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We are on FreeSat and just pay NowTV £22 a month for sports. We were getting SkyCinema for 99p a month but it's going up to £9.99 so being cancelled.

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
Cancel and then play the waiting game.

If they haven't offered you something respectable give them a call a few days before its due to go off.

Always call and never go via chat. Calling retentions gets through to the UK call centre who have much more power. The call centre is overseas somewhere.

I get Signature inc netflix, sports, movies, HD/UHD and multiroom for £57.50 pm.

As for Sky Q vs Stream. Q is in better quality and like you say, you can download, watch when the internet is down and skip adverts etc.

I went with Q on the picture quality alone.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I did the cancel, then you get a call from the team in Northern Ireland - got a great offer, probably due to start the process again

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No. We pay NOWTV, not Sky although they are part of Sky.

It’s on special offer at £21 for 6 months at the moment

I get it, I have been a long term subscriber for years. Reason I said Sky is because Now Tv is owned by Sky. In order ot watch in full hd they charge £6 a month which in this day and age is ridiculous. You cant even buy an sd resolution TV so this is simply money grabbing.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Just to confirm the Sky Retentions team has now been ' catchily ' been renamed ' Sky Loyalty Stay Team ' and they are on 03442414141.

As people have mentioned previously you need to convince them that you are prepared to cancel. And to save valuable time I always state from the outset that " the package I have is perfect for me ' . Something along those lines negates the usual tactic whereby they try to 'chip off' components of your current package to get the price down.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Tell Virgin you are leaveing they will give you a better deal.....probably match your old price for 18 months.

also look at the 100's of shite channels that you never ever watch.....get rid of them and save more money,

Or...

1) Receive an email from Virgin saying you are moving which you aren't.

2) Virgin disconnect you.

3) Virgin them reconnect you (at the same address) as a new customer and give you the same discount they did when you initially signed up to them.

For all their dysfunctionality, terrible customer service, lies about "connection" dates (which are actually "survey" dates) and delays connecting to a cabinet that happens to be in the street right outside your f***ing front garden....

.. they are definitely value for money.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I rang up only this morning to renegotiate my Sky Q deal and walked away having signed up to Sky Glass and even getting a new TV included in the deal.

Pleased with my deal I passed this on to Mrs PWK who promptly pointed out a few negatives.

I rang back and cancelled. Like you say, Sky Q is excellent.
The main negative with Sky Glass is the TV itself, it’s really not that good a picture. Compared to my OLED TV it was dreadful, we sent ours back, with no complaints from SKY.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The problem with Sky Stream is that if your broadband goes down, you can not watch anything.
But with Virgin if your internet goes down then your TV goes down - both services share the fibre infrastructure.

Turn off notifications for matches you're watching!

Yes I do try to remember to put my phone on Do Not Disturb – but have forgotten a couple of times.

Even watching Sky Sports via my iPad Sky Go app connected to Sky Q box (when the Mrs insists on watching something on the main TV) has had a delay of around a minute or two. But you don't know that until there is a notification.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here