Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky sports

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I am not sure what you point is. I am suggesting that very regularly we get letters from Virgin saying our subscription has gone up due to sky sports....this time an extra £2.50 and that means now we have a monthly bill of £130. I was suggestion that we are going to look at binning Virgin as, and I know it is a minor point but a good example, we have two kindles. They connect to wifi using the super hub2 but then drop out regularly. To get them to reconnect, we have to reboot the router! A known issue according to Virgin. We have had no end of problems with Virgin since the new router went in...dropping signal, slow signal, can't connect etc.

So my original post was to gauge opinion as to what people have and what they pay. I am loathe to get rid of sky sports as I want the cricket...but I could live without the footy. We have two boxes...one in the dining room and one in the front room with the TiVo thing. We have broadband XL and phone as well as telly.

I wondered who had bt and what the equivalent to Virgin would be.

Btw. We did contact Virgin and told them we were looking at other suppliers and what can they do, and the attitude seemed to be...tough..get lost

Ok. I understand now, I was just a little confused as nearly all of the subsequent posts have been moaning about sky's service. I have heard good things about virgin media but I suppose it just goes to show we all have different experiences with different providers. I don't understand how virgin media can have the cheek to increase your sky sports subscription by £2.50 a month when sky themselves have not increased.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I don't understand how virgin media can have the cheek to increase your sky sports subscription by £2.50 a month when sky themselves have not increased.

I'm not defending Virgin here but they pay a licence to broadcast Sky channels - there's a possibility Sky have increased the cost of that licence and that Virgin are passing that on.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Ok. I understand now, I was just a little confused as nearly all of the subsequent posts have been moaning about sky's service. I have heard good things about virgin media but I suppose it just goes to show we all have different experiences with different providers. I don't understand how virgin media can have the cheek to increase your sky sports subscription by £2.50 a month when sky themselves have not increased.

Sky are increasing their prices - I got a letter from Sky about it in the post. An average of £2.50 per customer: http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/news/tv/sky-tv-prices-to-increase-in-june-00308

Although according to that article - only a £1 increase for Sky Sports itself, with the hindrance of no more Champions League.

Sky are always creeping up their prices, but they do offer good deals if you know how to work them. Out of my experience of the various TV, phone and broadband packages: Sky > BT > Virgin

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I've had the letter and it's a £2.50 increase for me.

I'm going to be in the minority here but I have no problem with how much they charge because they provide me a very good service.

My Sky bill is around £120 a month. I'm on their top broadband package as its the only one that provides a dedicated IP which I need for work. Never had any issues with it and its lightening fast. With phone that's about £45 of the cost. So I'm paying £75 a month for TV most of which most of that is for the sport which is pretty much all I watch. I don't bother with the movies (I do have netflix at £6 a month though) but I do subscribe to BT sport.

Skys sport coverage is second to none and there is always something on live every night even if it's Greyhound racing or speedway. That commitment to live sport must cost them a fortune. I can't think of one sport they cover badly. The only gripe I'd have is with the US golf they have a period of downtime most weeks where the US broadcaster switches over but even then that is filled with interesting and informative chat.

To be honest I'd rather stop paying the £150 a year (or whatever it is) for the TV licence and be without the BBC than get rid of my Sky.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I am on BT and get phone, broadband and the basic TV package, BT Sport for around £38. Added in Sky Sports 1, 2 and 5 for £20 odd and I think that's a fair price. The BT box and UI etc aren't anywhere near as polished as Sky's, but it does the job. I would get rid of the Sky Sports bit, especially now they haven't got the Champions League, if it wasn't for their La Liga coverage.

UrbanGull

Apr 15, 2015
Yeah that's one of the ones I was looking at, but it got superseded, so I don't know if there's an option like that any more. I couldn't see any Humax on the link?

I've had 2 Humax boxes from their outlet store, the first was for a Christmas present a couple of years ago so it was a couple of months old by the time it got powered up and just my luck it didn't work but a quick phone call to their customer support line and we had someone deliver a new one the next day and pick up the old one.. great service

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Can't understand why many people bother anyone, there's NowTV, the pub and other sources. Why lock yourself in ?

UrbanGull

Apr 15, 2015
I remember the days before $ky when people used to complain about the £50 a yearTV licence fee when there was only 3 channels, but you did get free films, free live football (but only the FA cup and World Cup) Cricket, Grand Prix.. mind you thinking even more about it, there was no TV after about 11:00pm and no daytime TV either

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I've had the letter and it's a £2.50 increase for me.

I'm going to be in the minority here but I have no problem with how much they charge because they provide me a very good service.

My Sky bill is around £120 a month. I'm on their top broadband package as its the only one that provides a dedicated IP which I need for work. Never had any issues with it and its lightening fast. With phone that's about £45 of the cost. So I'm paying £75 a month for TV most of which most of that is for the sport which is pretty much all I watch. I don't bother with the movies (I do have netflix at £6 a month though) but I do subscribe to BT sport.

Skys sport coverage is second to none and there is always something on live every night even if it's Greyhound racing or speedway. That commitment to live sport must cost them a fortune. I can't think of one sport they cover badly. The only gripe I'd have is with the US golf they have a period of downtime most weeks where the US broadcaster switches over but even then that is filled with interesting and informative chat.

To be honest I'd rather stop paying the £150 a year (or whatever it is) for the TV licence and be without the BBC than get rid of my Sky.

I have never had issues with Sky broadband either, that is a lot more than I can say for BT.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My son wanted to cancel sky so phoned and they offered him a deal, not sure of the exact details but I am sure he said it was SkySports for 9 moths for a 1 off payment of £49. They chap did say somebody will ring near the end and if he refuses the offer they will offer him this deal again for another 9 months.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No its fine. It is only sitting in the bedroom. We now use the xboxone as the freeview box. Sorry taken long to reply.
No problem, thanks for the reply.

Your Humax would let you watch freeview channels, and record them, and series link them. The Xbox One can't do that stuff can it?

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
No problem, thanks for the reply.

Your Humax would let you watch freeview channels, and record them, and series link them. The Xbox One can't do that stuff can it?

I have two of the humax boxes, one we use downstairs which we use a lot. The xbox we use mainly for catch up and sometimes freeview when all tv's are in use.
The spare one has not been used for ages.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have two of the humax boxes, one we use downstairs which we use a lot. The xbox we use mainly for catch up and sometimes freeview when all tv's are in use.
The spare one has not been used for ages.
I asked because I have an X1, and didn't think it was really a replacement for a PVR. I'd like to take your Humax though please. Will send a pm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here