Sky Sports reporting that 2 championship clubs have bid for Jordan Rhodes....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Good point. There are still a couple of players in Bmuff team from their L1 days. And they are 1st teamers as well.

More than a couple. Elphick. Cook. Daniels. Francis. Harry Arter. Matt Ritchie. Marc Pugh. Eunan O'Kane.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Take your point, but Vydra has done chuff all for Reading really (apart from score against us, obviously). Maybe he'll get more of a chance now that Blackman has gone, and Orlando Sa is reportedly on his way out too, but really, for the loan fee and wages they're spending, they've not had much of a return.

The Vydra move has really not worked out for the player - he didn't score under the sacked Steve Clarke and he hasn't set the world alight under Brian McDermott either. It's likely Watford will get rid over the summer while his stock is still high amongst Championship clubs, while because Brian McDermott was scouting for Arsenal just prior to rejoining Reading I can see him getting Gunners players in on loan next season.

That said, I rate him although he's done his best work alongside Deeney. Given that Reading have sold Nick Blackman and are 11 points off the play-offs one option might be to see whether we can take over the Vydra loan deal with Watford. I fancy Vydra will be a real handful up alongside Zamora - good for the player, it would save Reading a lot in wages, we'd get a quality striker without blowing our budget.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Jordan Rhodes is one of those players who seemingly does nothing at all and rarely impresses. As such, opposing fans who only see him play once or twice a season will generally say one of two things:

1. That Jordan Rhodes is rubbish - he did nothing all game.
2. Other than scoring that goal, Jordan Rhodes did nothing.

And, then, by the end of the season, he'll be on 20+ goals after a season of nothingness.

His price is determined by what the market will pay for him. As a comparison point afobe is 12m.... Therefore he ain't overpriced at 12 million.

You want proven quality you pay for it other clubs realise that. You can't force bloom to part with the cash but it's a shame we can't go the extra yard.

and Austin is valued at £4m! The Afobe deal (IMO) is barking mad as is Charlie Austin's! Price should be reversed. I would take Rhodes like a shot, on Saturday he was a constant thorn in our side and pushed Dunky and Goldson to their limits (who were fantastic throughout the game). £6m should do it. He's proven at this level, hard working and age is on his side.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
and Austin is valued at £4m! The Afobe deal (IMO) is barking mad as is Charlie Austin's! Price should be reversed. I would take Rhodes like a shot, on Saturday he was a constant thorn in our side and pushed Dunky and Goldson to their limits (who were fantastic throughout the game). £6m should do it. He's proven at this level, hard working and age is on his side.
Yer but its the overall deal not just transfer value. Austin gets paid 100k a week!!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Jordan Rhodes is one of those players who seemingly does nothing at all and rarely impresses. As such, opposing fans who only see him play once or twice a season will generally say one of two things:

And, then, by the end of the season, he'll be on 20+ goals after a season of nothingness.

Plenty of players like that in history. Never really thought Thomas Muller does a lot when he plays for Germany, but his scoring record is freakish.

Likewise, Gary Lineker was renowned for scoring tap-ins. We all look on at certain players and think, so and so doesn't do blistering runs, or hit rockets into the top corner, or beat six men before rounding the keeper. Perhaps the instinct to be in the right place at the right time is one of the most precious commodities of all, and Rhodes certainly seems to have it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Exactly. And because of that, I can't make my mind up on whether he'd be worth a punt of £10m (of someone else's money).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If we don't sign a proven goalscorer this window we will have little chance of getting promoted via the playoffs and pretty well nil via automatic. Just IMO like. As [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] said a few days ago it really is quite bizarre that we have the best and most expensive facilities in the Championship but hold off on spending the necessary money to reach the cash cow of the Premier League.

How many clubs in the Premier League are making a profit every year?

Yer but its the overall deal not just transfer value. Austin gets paid 100k a week!!

Noted - but I suspect Rhodes would come here for £12.50 per hour, a pork pie and the freedom of Brighton as contract clauses!

Add-ons and weekly wage are our Achilles heel and stops us from being competitive (not to mention FFP - apologies for bringing this in again). How do we address this when other clubs have built foundations on sand? West Brom are a pretty good operating model to look at in terms of remaining competitive without breaking the purchasing strategy (agreed they don't actually really do anything but they are premier league). I'm sure the conundrum will continue!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Apologies if ts been asked before but there's too many posts to catch up on...are we one of the two teams interested? Or is this 27 pages of transfer speculation for another teams signing?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat

Blackburn with Rhodes in the team have not beaten us since we started playing each other again in Jan 2013 , Rhodes has scored 3 goals , 2 of which were penalties now looking at those stats 3 goals from 7 games in three seasons is a pretty decent tally but not spectacular , and thats the point , if he was spectacular he would of already been playing at a prem club when rovers were relegated , i would imagine the player himself knows by now Blackburn are never going to be promoted and its time for a move but the price tag is simply not of value , no matter where he goes if he goes for 12 million whoever pays that will be taking a massive gamble with their clubs finances .

Obviously IMO

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
Seems a general split decision on the ability of someone like Rhodes. Imagine the NSC traffic were we to ever attain the money-sloshed PL, it would be awesome. An example of the madness today is the likes of Man U asking £20m of your British Pounds for that Belgian with the hair. What a joke.

Personally speaking, I think to spend the sort of money Rhodes agent will be playing clubs off for would be ridiculous when it would not guarantee anything. Promotion from this League is correctly identified as tough to say the least, where both luck and strategy are vital also.

Putting many eggs into a basket is not a good idea in my opinion, and I certainly feel that the powers that be approach these matters in a pragmatic way. We evidently need strengthening, but to spend a fortune on a massive contract then for it to not reap the benefits would be awful.

A year is such a long time in football.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
An example of the madness today is the likes of Man U asking £20m of your British Pounds for that Belgian with the hair

Tin Tin? Could do a job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports