Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Sports reporting that 2 championship clubs have bid for Jordan Rhodes....

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The problem with Rhodes (as our experience chasing Marshall showed) is that Blackburn will want more than his true market value and (as his never having tempted a premier league bid indicates) we will struggle to recover even a significant proportion of the outlay if we need to sell-on.
McCormack has attracted a bid of £6m. Half what Fulham reportedly paid for him.
That's realistic IMO.
Double that for Rhodes would be a serious serious punt. I reckon his true current value based on recent form is maybe £4m in a summer transfer window so should realistically go for no more than £6m in the January window to a club desperate for what he may bring. Really push out the boat in a bidding war between two clubs and he could value at £8m tops but that is seriously overpriced IMO and all the suggestions are that Blackburn want much more than that and will hold out

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
McCormack has attracted a bid of £6m. Half what Fulham reportedly paid for him.
That's realistic IMO.
Given what we're told Fulham offered for Dunk, I don't see how £6m is realistic, it's laughable IMO.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It amazes me when people say about wages as if they were going to pay them and if TB didnt want to pay those type of wages he wouldnt so the wages are not a problem only in the eye of NSC posters.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
So we may aswell never have any ambition then?

Of course we should have ambition... I admit to being really torn over this subject (not just of Rhodes but making the leap to that kind of money for anybody); so many clubs have failed to keep a control of their finances in recent years and are in complete turmoil. I know we're better run than those clubs and at some point we have to take the leap but this is Brighton, it's never that simple is it!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Given what we're told Fulham offered for Dunk, I don't see how £6m is realistic, it's laughable IMO.

Agree entirely. - in theory. But with the bidding club seemingly nailed on for promotion to the promised land and working to turn the player's head........... It changes the market :shrug:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Back to the old 'FIFA' game experts, £6 mill here, £8 mill there....£60k per week. It's all numbers and far from reality, easy when you are pressing a couple of buttons on a games console. Reality is a sensible, balanced attempt at PL status, not ending up like some others that tried, failed then suffered financially.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
Back to the old 'FIFA' game experts, £6 mill here, £8 mill there....£60k per week. It's all numbers and far from reality, easy when you are pressing a couple of buttons on a games console. Reality is a sensible, balanced attempt at PL status, not ending up like some others that tried, failed then suffered financially.

Spot on.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Im torn too. Without a doubt we will have to pay those wages in the premier league if/when we get there just to stand still and then if we return to the championship we will still have players earning that much. I cant decide whether we.should break the bank to that level of wages before we get there. Perhaps our best option is to pay wages to a midway point with a.hefty bonus for promotion

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Those sort of wages are suicidal in the Championship.

Boro are, I believe, sticking Stewart Downing much, much more than that per week.

Going back to Rhodes, I simply don't believe we'd be in the running. SkySports are reporting Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: have made a bid, which is no surprise as they have money to burn this season and have now put themselves in a position on the field where they're more attractive to potential signings (unlike in the summer). Boro, meanwhile, made a widely publicised bid for Rhodes last season, and aren't particularly prolific, so it stands to reason they'd go back in.

Either of those two are promotion contenders, they'll pay him the wages he'd be after, and are likely to be happy to pay the fee that Blackburn want. Plus he could probably get away without having to move house, whichever one of those two he chose.

I just don't think he's on our radar.

Derby, meanwhile, have just signed Nick Blackman, so I'd be surprised if they were planning on splashing the cash on too many other strikers. Pleasingly, Twitter suggests their fans are less than impressed with Blackman so far :lolol:

[tweet]688406962346815489[/tweet]

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
Would be an unbelievable signing. Anyone who disagrees is, quite simply, a moron. Even if he contributes nothing else to the side, he is a guaranteed goalscorer at this level, which is exactly what we need right now.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Would be an unbelievable signing. Anyone who disagrees is, quite simply, a moron. Even if he contributes nothing else to the side, he is a guaranteed goalscorer at this level, which is exactly what we need right now.

...at any cost?

18s3yoan9thocjpg.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Im torn too. Without a doubt we will have to pay those wages in the premier league if/when we get there just to stand still and then if we return to the championship we will still have players earning that much. I cant decide whether we.should break the bank to that level of wages before we get there. Perhaps our best option is to pay wages to a midway point with a.hefty bonus for promotion

The tv money and parachute payments take care of that. It's a gamble paying out high wages and then falling away at the last hurdle. Even if we got Rhodes there is no guarantee that we would finish in the top two and the playoffs are just a lottery.

I don't think we're in for him.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
I think what it comes down to is would we sacrifice our long-term stability and existence of our club for an 'all or nothing' assault on promotion?

There are players out there as we proved with finding Ulloa that fit the bill and fit in to our wage structure; unfortunately as we all know they don't come along very often. Not a striker I know, but I'd class Knockaert in that bracket as well (based on his form at Leicester) which I'm delighted with so it can be done.

I'd prefer McCormack anyway :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here