Sky hd

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
Any of you already have it?

I'm getting it installed on saturday (upgrading from sky+).

Do you think it is worth the extra monthly sub?

I'm hoping England reach the final of the U-21 tournament, so i can watch the final in HD (which i can do anyway - but'd be nice to see England play!)

just looking for peoples feedback etc on what they think of it.

I'm pretty excited, as i love playing the ol' PS3 in high def, so i can only imagine how good the footy etc will look! :clap2:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
S'alright.
I've watched football a few times round a mates house who has it, but after about 10 minutes I pretty much forget I'm watching it in HD. Certainly didn't come away thinking "wow I must get HD". And films I couldn't even tell the difference from DVD to be honest.

Oct 24, 2007
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
Any of you already have it?

I'm getting it installed on saturday (upgrading from sky+).

Do you think it is worth the extra monthly sub?

I'm hoping England reach the final of the U-21 tournament, so i can watch the final in HD (which i can do anyway - but'd be nice to see England play!)

just looking for peoples feedback etc on what they think of it.

I'm pretty excited, as i love playing the ol' PS3 in high def, so i can only imagine how good the footy etc will look! :clap2:

The documentary channels are really good, especially the wildlife programmes.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
My dad's got it and loves it, my mum, like myself, couldn't tell any difference. I suppose it depends on how much of connasieur of TV you are.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I have a panasonic 42 inch screen and close up shots are awesome for sports events ( sweat on brow and blades of grass spring to mind!! ) and wildlife programmes. Maybe my TV but distance shots don't come across so well and I agree it's easy to forget you are watching it after a while

Having said that every now and again you do see something quite stunning that reminds you of the HD

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
You only get the full benefit using a full HD TV.

If you use an HD ready TV it has to downscale the incoming signal with loss of quality.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Tip : for watching in HD make sure the colours etc are put up to enhance colours etc . Should be setting on TV.

It's ok , nature programmes are the best in HD, evrything else is generally just a bloody good picture. Novelty soon wears off

Sky + or V + ... now thats a different arguement, best thing ever invented

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I don't think that's correct is it?

SkyHD broadcasts at 720p - FULL HD is 1080p which you only get from Blu Ray.

Dont know about Sky (shit company), but my Freesat HD signal comes in at 1080 straight into my 1080 set.

An HD ready set is 720 (or thereabouts) and cant show a 1080 signal without further processing. So the TV has to downscale the HD signal with attendant loss of quality. Its the ability to do this downscaling that allows them to call the set "HD ready".

Yes Blue Ray is 1080 and I think I am right in saying this is the only commercially available HD format.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
For those that think I am talking out my bottom, just have a look at the price difference between an HD ready TV and a Full HD TV.

That should be enough to convince you.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
For those that think I am talking out my bottom, just have a look at the price difference between an HD ready TV and a Full HD TV.

That should be enough to convince you.

my TV is FULL HD (1080p) which is brilliant for playing my ps3+ bluray.

just looking forward to getting the SKY HD set up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports