Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sky bids £40m for rights to city-based domestic Twenty20 tournament

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In the last 94 years there has been the addition of ONE new county in first-class cricket - Durham. There are 20 minor counties all doing their own thing and getting zero coverage while the likes of Derbyshire and Leicestershire exchange the Div 2 wooden spoon with regularity. Big counties like Surrey and Lancs are complacent giants, with large memberships and test match status guaranteeing a level of income their performances don't merit.

English cricket needs far more of a shake-up than a simple T20 city bash, but where IS the vision?

This makes a lot of sense (although as Mikey points out, you do Derby a disservice, they were in Div 1 not long ago). The trouble is no-one really knows the point of the current structure: is it to provide a decent test team? Is it to make money? Is to provide an outlet for talented players to come through? I'm not sure that it works on any of those levels. I totally agree that more minor counties should have come through by now - how much talent are we missing?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
This makes a lot of sense (although as Mikey points out, you do Derby a disservice, they were in Div 1 not long ago). The trouble is no-one really knows the point of the current structure: is it to provide a decent test team? Is it to make money? Is to provide an outlet for talented players to come through? I'm not sure that it works on any of those levels. I totally agree that more minor counties should have come through by now - how much talent are we missing?

That's my issue I think, my heart says no to this setup as I love my county, but my head says something else? I have no issue if we say the purpose of the county game is to bring young players through, great lets do it, but take a look at the Lancashire scorecard v Glamorgan last week, how does that help you English talent?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Not for me, and very bad for clubs like Sussex who can actually sell out 20 20 games, perhaps if they offer a ridiculous yearly parachute payment of £5 million a year to not be involved. \

More money for the big clubs and agents

Not for me either. Personally I can't stand T20 never watch it. Just isn't cricket. Give me a test match or 4 day championship game any day.
Yet another example of Sky ruination of sport.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
That's my issue I think, my heart says no to this setup as I love my county, but my head says something else? I have no issue if we say the purpose of the county game is to bring young players through, great lets do it, but take a look at the Lancashire scorecard v Glamorgan last week, how does that help you English talent?

Exactly, it doesn't.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
While not wanting to bite, or deny that we're generally a bit crap, we have only achieved that particular highlight once in 10 seasons!

Fair enough, my bad, but the Derbyshire of the last ten years seems light years away from the side of John Wright, Kim Barnett, Peter Kirsten, Hendricks, Bob Taylor, Geoff Miller et al.

There but the grace of God...

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Fair enough, my bad, but the Derbyshire of the last ten years seems light years away from the side of John Wright, Kim Barnett, Peter Kirsten, Hendricks, Bob Taylor, Geoff Miller et al.

There but the grace of God...

No doubt - We are the county with the least resources, which does make things slightly difficult! The currently chairman has done a fantastic job of redeveloping the ground and the academy etc but it is an uphill struggle.

And there but for the grace of god indeed!!

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Love my cricket and my 20/20. I think this is sky trying to generate some more revenue due to BT's entry into footie big time.
Would be tragic for the game.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

and Lancs and Glamorgan will be at the heart of this franchise which will be full of overseas high earners. The present set up has produced a successful decade.
A city based franchise is madness and, in England unlike India or Oz, cricket is NOT a big city game.....and that applies throughout the country.

If they're going to rejig T20 I'd much rather an FA cup style competition, involving the counties, and other teams across the country.
I remember when Norfolk, Staffs, Oxfordshire etc in the Gilette cup (or whatever) No idea why these teams are not involved in a 20 over comp. Cricket is yet another game I've fallen out with, just glad I've got other activities on my plate at the moment.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
and Lancs and Glamorgan will be at the heart of this franchise which will be full of overseas high earners. The present set up has produced a successful decade.
A city based franchise is madness and, in England unlike India or Oz, cricket is NOT a big city game.....and that applies throughout the country.

It actually feels like its all the grounds that get terrible gates for 20 20 anyway.

Country Seagull

Jan 11, 2013
Sounds terrible but so was Allen Stanford's ponzi 20/20 franchise. I'd put nothing past the ECB once someone waves some cash at them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here