Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skalak

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
My mates and I said the same thing.

"Skalak should come off, he's got a yellow, he's a bit erratic and we've got Murphy just sat there"

I'm so pleased to be wrong.

You can add me to the club.

Shows what I know about bloody football :lol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What exactly does he do?
I thought that from memory, but when I checked he only gets Bruno's one? Unless it ricochets off him for Hemed's third?
No, that came off a Fulham player.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I would yes - Murphy has been great and was bang in form recently. Agree with you though, he's not a winger, winger so it's difficult to compare. Hughton knows best so I'll go with his decisions. I was adamant he should have brought Skalak off at HT tonight esp with the yellow to his name but look what happened next :thumbsup:

But what a decision to have to make. Compare to last season when we were borrowing Carayol and Ledesma off Boro just to give us another winger. This sort of football seemed so far away.

For what it's worth, I think it would be very harsh to drop Skalak. He's been involved in a goal (scored or assist) in each of the last four games. However, Murphy must also feel very unlucky to be on the bench after the season he's had. He was a key part in our turnaround in form and has six goals, which is a pretty good return for a winger.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Much prefer Murphy. What do I know. I would have taken him of at half time and would have missed what was the best strike of a ball I have ever seen from Albion player

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
Jiri is only going to get better the more time he is given and he's earning his minutes at the moment. It's kind of crazy that Murphy who is a key player is now being kept out of the starting line-up. 5 assists and a goal in your last 5 starts will do that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But what a decision to have to make. Compare to last season when we were borrowing Carayol and Ledesma off Boro just to give us another winger. This sort of football seemed so far away.

For what it's worth, I think it would be very harsh to drop Skalak. He's been involved in a goal (scored or assist) in each of the last four games. However, Murphy must also feel very unlucky to be on the bench after the season he's had. He was a key part in our turnaround in form and has six goals, which is a pretty good return for a winger.

I think Hughton has done a great job keeping the whole squad happy. It's testament to his man-management skills and to the professionalism of some of our players - like Lua Lua, Greer, Baldock and Murphy - that they don't appear to be having a massive strop whenever they are excluded. It's a squad effort, and most of them are changing games for our benefit when called upon.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I've been trying to work out why some people still don't rate him even though the number of assists he has is incredible.
I think it's down to his playing style and the fact that our other wingers can go past a player. Jiri isn't that kind of winger, but he'll make clear chances for the forwards at least a couple of times a game.
Compare that to some other wingers we've had who look like they're running rings around the fullback for 90 minutes but don't have an end product.
I know which one I'd rather have.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I've been trying to work out why some people still don't rate him even though the number of assists he has is incredible.
I think it's down to his playing style and the fact that our other wingers can go past a player. Jiri isn't that kind of winger, but he'll make clear chances for the forwards at least a couple of times a game.
Compare that to some other wingers we've had who look like they're running rings around the fullback for 90 minutes but don't have an end product.
I know which one I'd rather have.

If you ever listen to the radio, WA never seems to be impressed with him at all. He then pops up with an assist or, like last night, a goal.

Saturn

Vicarious
Feb 11, 2016
Whilst I have no gripes with him and have been delighted with his contribution since joining, I don't personally see him as a winger but more as an advanced attacking midfielder. I'm not sure if he is suited to playing the out and out winger role.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Part of the criticism comes from people wanting to make instant judgements and then wanting to be in a 'I told you he was shit' position.

They tend to view their own opinions as sacred cows that must be defended at all costs, regardless of evidence to the contrary, rather than initial observations that can evolve into a different viewpoint over time as a weight of evidence is produced over time.

Whether their behaviour is due to arrogance, insecurity, stupidity, conceit or just internet rage (or in some cases a combination of more than one of the above) is a separate issue.

Sent from Konnie Huq's lingerie drawer.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
If you ever listen to the radio, WA never seems to be impressed with him at all. He then pops up with an assist or, like last night, a goal.

When player wasn't cutting out, Warren kept saying "he keeps coming inside, wide players should play wide" and then forgave him when he scored a potential goal of the season.

He's frustrating, but brilliant at the same time.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Definitely not a winger, but the potential to be absolutely brilliant playing through the middle. Leaving the position discussion aside, he's delivered some brilliant and really important contributions so far, considering he's still so new to English football.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Fact is with the ball at his feet in play he isn't the best - but his crossing, shooting and dead balls are ****ing sublime. Feel for Murphy as he has been quality this season, but I would be starting Jiri. Man is a hero.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come on everybody he's a ****in class act, we're lucky to have him

It's just a shame he's not really good enough. I do hope he comes good eventually. :facepalm: x 100.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
It's just a shame he's not really good enough. I do hope he comes good eventually. :facepalm: x 100.

Yeah I think we're getting too desensitized by the brilliant last few years. He's a full Czech international and he shows it, he has real quality. His crossing and dead ball delivery is exceptional as is Knockeart's. If the goal last night doesn't convince people then nothing ever will. How much skill and ability it takes to score like that. You get one chance, so many average players would completely **** it up. Knockeart's free kick was the same. How many players would you see doing that in the championship? They're both so gifted, exceptional footballers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here