Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skalak out

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Posts like this are one of the things I dislike most about NSC. Player has ordinary game so poster comes on here and says they are rubbish (ignoring everything about their previous play). Skalak had a poor game today but has been very good for us since signing. And two games ago against Derby he had a really good game. So yes he had a poor game today but to say he is pants is ridiculous.

Seriously, when does he have a good game?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So that Akpom and Skalak both pants it seems..... at least according to posts here... how did we win?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

1-0 wasn't a tonking though? I accept the criticism but sometimes it just has to be said, liked or hated.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Of course, the manager who has guided us to the brink of promotion quite clearly doesn't have clue what he's doing! Skalak is clearly in the team to do a job, one that he must be doing to the managers liking,
Give it a rest and get behind the team rather than sniping from the sidelines.

I am absolutely 100% behind our campaign, and got very drunk last night :smile:

I just have an opinion and that is it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought this thread was about a season ending injury, acd took the click bait in a panic.

FFS.

He had a couple of Robbie Keane moments yesterday ('given too much time to think, it all goes to bollocks', styleee) when he misjudged the pass he was receiving, and the ball ran out of play. It looked a bit amateurish. I must admit I did make some disparaging comments about 'not having a proper footballing brain ( - him not me). And he was badly beaten for pace a couple of times. But so what? I agree with all the others who have poo pooed this negativistic piece of highly unfashionable and unseasonable bed wetting from the OP.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Knowing the OP's previous posts it surprises not one bit that he singles out an individual for a public stoning!

I would love you to quote some of my 'previous posts' regarding 'public stoning'... please feel free to do so, in fact I'd give you a tenner for each slagging off of our players. Over to you.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Derby home (one I clearly mentioned in my post) and Norwich home with about three assists off the top of my head. Some of our so called fans seem to want players to fail and it is pathetic in my view.

Why is it pathetic to think a player isn't cutting it?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Why is it pathetic to think a player isn't cutting it?

There's a difference between saying a player isn't cutting it and calling them pants. He clearly didn't have a great game yesterday. That is a fair comment (and could have been added to any number of threads on here) but that's not what you said. Sadly it seems to be the way with some of our fans to slag off certain players and Skalak is one of the classic scapegoats. Stockdale, Bong, Norwood, Hemed and Baldock have all had turns at various points of the last couple of seasons. It is amazing we've done so well in the last two seasons with so many rubbish players.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
There's a difference between saying a player isn't cutting it and calling them pants. He clearly didn't have a great game yesterday. That is a fair comment (and could have been added to any number of threads on here) but that's not what you said. Sadly it seems to be the way with some of our fans to slag off certain players and Skalak is one of the classic scapegoats. Stockdale, Bong, Norwood, Hemed and Baldock have all had turns at various points of the last couple of seasons. It is amazing we've done so well in the last two seasons with so many rubbish players.

I can quite honestly say I DO NOT slag our players off. Please find me any comment where I have. I am more inclined to defend our players when they are slagged off. However, yesterday, I literally had enough of Skalak. He has no pace, he dives at any given opportunity, and in my honest opinion he adds nothing to the team. As I said previously, I probably, on reflection, should not have started this thread, or indeed, given a balanced view of why I think he's not a good player. But I was drunk, like a fair few on here no doubt. He is not the scapegoat, he is just clearly not good enough.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I can quite honestly say I DO NOT slag our players off. Please find me any comment where I have. I am more inclined to defend our players when they are slagged off. However, yesterday, I literally had enough of Skalak. He has no pace, he dives at any given opportunity, and in my honest opinion he adds nothing to the team. As I said previously, I probably, on reflection, should not have started this thread, or indeed, given a balanced view of why I think he's not a good player. But I was drunk, like a fair few on here no doubt. He is not the scapegoat, he is just clearly not good enough.

No, you should not have started this thread. No, you are wrong that he is clearly not good enough. Akpom is clearly not good enough. Skalak divides opinion but clearly Hughton thinks he's good enough and he has more knowledge than either you or me. So, I'll continue supporting Skalak as long as he's playing for this club.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
No, you should not have started this thread. No, you are wrong that he is clearly not good enough. Akpom is clearly not good enough. Skalak divides opinion but clearly Hughton thinks he's good enough and he has more knowledge than either you or me. So, I'll continue supporting Skalak as long as he's playing for this club.

Yes, and the 'Hughton thinks...' is a rather easy out in an argument.

Last edited:

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017
I thought he was slightly unlucky to be subbed yesterday. Not his best game offensively, but more always goes through Knockaert anyway... Had a shot on target, and put in a good shift generally.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Akpom was awful, but not Jiri, IMHO... he always works hard for the team, and he had a few threatening moments yesterday... still expect Solly to start Tue, but the criticism of Jiri on this thread is OTT IMHO...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Akpom was awful, but not Jiri, IMHO... he always works hard for the team, and he had a few threatening moments yesterday... still expect Solly to start Tue, but the criticism of Jiri on this thread is OTT IMHO...

I seriously don't think it is OTT. Nobody has slagged the player off, they have just made points as to why he is just not good enough. I also accept those that think he is good enough. I just haven't seen a post that makes me think, Ok I was wrong.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Without the likes of Jiri in the squad we would be a poorer team for his loss , everybody knows including the man himself he is not blessed with blistering pace or twinkle toed skill but he brings so much more to the table in terms of choices for the manager , March suffered what must be the worst type of leg injury for a footballer to get and has had to be managed with the greatest care since his return , Skalak & Murphy enable CH to do this with Solly , if he had started games as soon as he was fit (ish ) he would no doubt have broken down , Skalak is a vital part of the squad and every player has the odd bad patch and the good ones come through them , there's not a game goes by when somebody singles out a player stating they're not fit to wear the shirt , madness , if he was pants he would be nowhere near the 1st team , yesterday was a pivotal day in the season for us bloody enjoy it .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Bemoaning Skalak for having no pace is like complaining about your cat not being able to bark.
If CH wanted pace yesterday (I did, and clearly you did too) he could have started with either Murphy or March.

I'd like to know how many decisions Skalak 'gets'.
Jiri is all about deadball delivery, it's not in his, therefore the teams, best interest to try and beat the full back.
His 'diving' also breaks up the oppositions play when he's back defending.

Saying he adds nothing to the team, really cheapens your argument, esp on the back of a MotM performance v Derby, and a decent shift v Leeds. (Had Knockaert been as resolute defensively Leeds wouldn't have scored the all important first goal)

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Everyone loves a trier and Skalak is that all right.

Can deliver a mean cross, has a shot on him and works hard. But that's about it in all honesty. We have plenty of players who can do the flair/trickery/beating players thing so much so we loaned one of them out. Offers something different to those options.

Not at his best yesterday but had been in good form coming into the game and on balance, probably deserved to start in what was always going to be a tight affair.

Unlikely to cut it in the prem but you just never know.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
This.

NSC is going to be a dreadful place next season. The whingers will be out in force.

I thought Skalak did OK yesterday, and was unlucky to be subbed as Knockaert was anonymous again (although he was being marked by 5 players at one point, so it can't have been easy).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd stick 5 players on Knockaert if I knew the guy on the other wing was Skalak in the form he's in. You thought Knockaert was ananymous, but he still created the winning goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here