Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Skalak and Murphy?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Is he not suggesting what they can do rather than put them in the team or on the bench or have I misinterpreted it.

What they can do rather than put them in the team? Like what? Tidy up at the end of the match, empty the bins or help out behind one of the bars?
:D
It's not a massive thread BG, but isn't the OP saying Skalak and Murphy should maybe start as March and Knocky are not playing well?
Or is it me that hasn't read the OPs comments?

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
IMO,these players are key,to our survial ! Removing them both would allow us to bring in 2 "provan ?" attackers,a striker and winger.Depending on Sidwells injury,a third adition in midfield .

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's interesting. I went to the Barnet game and saw a team that included Hemed, Knockaert, and Bong - regulars in and around our regular premier league squad. Also in the team was Huenemeier, who has made an appearance and was praised for his ability to step up when needed, and Goldson who is expected to deputise for a suspended Duffy next week. That team performed really badly.

Yet it's the same performance some people are pointing to as a reason not to give Murphy or Skalak a chance. I was watching the game yesterday growing increasing frustrated with March's inability to put a decent cross in, and his reluctance to run at the defender (especially in the second half after Knockaert went off and he was on the same side as a guy already on a yellow card), and frustrated with Knockaert not being able to find the killer pass (too often just tapping it a couple of feet to the side, or not passing it at all and eventually getting crowded out). Hemed, Knockaert, Bong, Huenemeier have all shown their performance in that match isn't reflective of how they perform in the premier league.

As such, the thought did cross my mind yesterday - would they produce a better performance in a premier league match? They will know they won't get many opportunities, so will need to step up and it could bring the best out of them. Or, of course they could be exposed as not up to premier league, but in my growing frustration yesterday I started to think it might be worth giving them a shot...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Murphy: at least can run at players well, with the ball, and works hard defensively (plus has a decent shot on him).

Skalak: can at least put in a decent ball, occasionally.

Izquierdo is so..... absent.

Knocky and March are simply off form and we've stuck with them both for a while now. People will say Murphy and Skalak aren't good enough but like Knocky and March they had plenty of good games in the Championship, so what gives?

I thought this was a thread to see how much we could get for the two when we get shot of the useless pair.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Murphy: at least can run at players well, with the ball, and works hard defensively (plus has a decent shot on him).

Skalak: can at least put in a decent ball, occasionally.

Izquierdo is so..... absent.

Knocky and March are simply off form and we've stuck with them both for a while now. People will say Murphy and Skalak aren't good enough but like Knocky and March they had plenty of good games in the Championship, so what gives?

and Kazenga :D

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Don't rate Skalak, not good enough in open play. I am surprised Murphy has dropped out of the picture, more than good enough to do a job off the bench.

I saw Skalak play in the U23 game v Aston Villa at the Lancing site.
Let's just say I didn't think he looked at all interested!
A very good low centre of gravity, but nevertheless not PL quality.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Neither are good enough, simple as. Murphy has talent but not the bottle to use it. His crossing is abysmal as is his decision making. With a bit of luck he'll be off to Scotland in the window. Skalak might as well return home. Wasn't bothered in the cups so shouldn't get a sniff at a seat on the bench.

As for the OP's assertion that Murphy has a great shot, can he remind us of examples?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Neither are good enough, simple as. Murphy has talent but not the bottle to use it. His crossing is abysmal as is his decision making. With a bit of luck he'll be off to Scotland in the window. Skalak might as well return home. Wasn't bothered in the cups so shouldn't get a sniff at a seat on the bench.

As for the OP's assertion that Murphy has a great shot, can he remind us of examples?

This is a bit harsh! Many times in the prior two seasons we have seen Murphy run fast with the ball directly at the defenders and been successful. He has also finished well imo. I would agree he lacks confidence and can disappear but then Knocky/March can be similar or the opposite, over confident, with the same result (sweet f.a).

My O.P wasn't shouting loud that both should be straight into the team but there have been a few games this season, including Burnley, when I haven't thought "ooh we're playing such high premier league quality!!". Rather it's been two championship quality level teams. And at times Murphy and Skalak played well against decent championship sides so why not give them a sniff? Yes, Liverpool, City, were miles and miles ahead of us in terms of individual and team quality but the games we've played against Soton, WBA, Burnley? If March, Knocky aren't working then maybe we could try Murphy and Skalak. The premier league has not really been that much of a step up imo outside of the top 6 - 8.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I’d seriously consider giving Murphy game time at the moment. I think the left of midfield is a concern and Murphy’s desire and ability to drive up the pitch with the ball could be utilised.

Unfortunately, I just don’t feel the same about Skalak. He was barely good enough for the top of the Championship (set pieces aside).

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Will never forget Skalak's shift against Norwich at home last season. That peach of a cross for Murray's second. :love:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here