Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sir Bobby Charlton RIP

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Never saw him play. But you just KNOW he's one I'd the all time greats. A name that resonates.

Good innings, and a life well lived. Hats off to him
You say that, but he never got over all his boys dying at Munich. Poor sod. RIP

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yellow cards weren’t used until the Mexico World Cup.
I think he and Jackie were booked in that game. Yellow cards weren't around at the time as you say, but players could be cautioned nonetheless. They weren't introduced domestically until the mid-seventies.

I seem to recall that they were taken away for a while in the 90s which caused confusion for crowds.

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Was there also watching from the Chicken run with my dad . Was Sir Bobby as well as Alan Ball the only players from the world cup winning side to play at the Goldstone Ground ?
I think Gordon Banks played one half of the 75th anniversary match against Stoke?

I was there that night too,so if he did 👍

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Was there also watching from the Chicken run with my dad . Was Sir Bobby as well as Alan Ball the only players from the world cup winning side to play at the Goldstone Ground ?
Possibly George Cohen for Fulham,but that's a guess

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
There's one expression that always springs to mind when I think of Bobby Charlton...'A foot like a traction engine!'

Pretty much every single goal I've ever seen of his on the telly is a long range screamer. His shooting technique looked absolutely superb!

RIP. Clearly a true legend of the beautiful game.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
There's one expression that always springs to mind when I think of Bobby Charlton...'A foot like a traction engine!'

Pretty much every single goal I've ever seen of his on the telly is a long range screamer. His shooting technique looked absolutely superb!

RIP. Clearly a true legend of the beautiful game.
But not too much of a legend for some man city scum obviously!

'Man City condemn offensive Charlton chants and appeal for information'

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
One of the true gents of English football, RIP

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Actually quite emotional driving back from Manchester this morning listening to countless tributes on the radio from so many people.…….absolute role model on and off the pitch.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
I understand from LBC radio some man sh1ty fans disrespected the name of Sir Bobby against us, can any Albion fans there confirm and I trust there was no disrespect among our fans?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I understand from LBC radio some man sh1ty fans disrespected the name of Sir Bobby against us, can any Albion fans there confirm and I trust there was no disrespect among our fans?
Didn’t see or hear anything at all from them or us. Death wasn’t announced in the ground or anything as far as I know, only became public knowledge around half time via SM.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’ve just finished watching his tribute on IPlayer. It covers everything from his childhood, his Mum Cissie (from the famous Milburn family), right through to his charity work abroad including the minefields of Cambodia.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Just checked my old programmes and yes, I saw him play for Utd. Long story but it was 20th Feb 1971 at Old Trafford against Southampton (I still have the programme (5p) and ticket stub (50p)).
United Team:
1.Stepney 2.Fitzpatrick 3.Burns 4.Crerand 5.Edwards 6.Sadler 7.Morgan 8.Best 9.Charlton 10.Gowling 11.Aston
Manager: Sir Matt Busby
Referee: Clive Thomas
The only Southampton player of note: 8.Channon

Utd won 5-1 with Alan Gowling scoring 4, Morgan 1, (Gabriel replying for Soton)

I'd never heard of Alan Gowling before the game and didn't hear about him afterwards.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Just checked my old programmes and yes, I saw him play for Utd. Long story but it was 20th Feb 1971 at Old Trafford against Southampton (I still have the programme (5p) and ticket stub (50p)).
United Team:
1.Stepney 2.Fitzpatrick 3.Burns 4.Crerand 5.Edwards 6.Sadler 7.Morgan 8.Best 9.Charlton 10.Gowling 11.Aston

I'd never heard of Alan Gowling before the game and didn't hear about him afterwards.
Didn't he go to Newcastle?

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
United Team:

How many booked?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here