Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sion Jenkins: No Compensation

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The Ministry of Justice said it would not comment on individual cases but that damages for wrongful imprisonment were paid only when a person was shown to be "clearly innocent."

My wife read his book recently, in which he witters on about his innocence, and he comes up with more conspiracy theories than an Princess Di being killed by Lord Lucan on Shergar, who then escapes to Loch Ness where he lives happily ever after with JFK.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Is it worth a read ?..Scene of crime not far from a friends house in Lower Park Road Hastings ...at the time local coppers seem to think they got the right man and he got off on a technicality

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Does he get the royalty if you buy the ebook?

He does get the royalties.

Not worth a read IMO, unless you want to give money to a very dodgy paranoid character. I was not happy about her indoors buying it.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Same as the birmingham six.

Never caught anyone for that did they, with the 'peace process' and murderers and lifers being allowed to walk free you'd have thought someone would have had the decency to put their hands up for it, in the knowledge that it was an alleged 'act of war'.

In the Jenkins case, there was some very dodgy and unconvincing forensic evidence that was presented by the prosecution at the first trial - at least that was the view of some lawyers that I recall discussing the case with at the time.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Same as the birmingham six.

The police fabricating and suppressing evidence is quite a technicality, along with the forensic evidence being totally dismissed by independent forensic scientists at the appeal Bushy, come on. The police, in their eagerness to arrest somebody, would have arrested anybody with an Irish accent if they thought they could have got away with it at the time.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Judge summed it up perfectly, compensation is only paid if the person is CLEARLY innocent.

Wierd because my understanding of the law in this country was that you were innocent until PROVEN guilty beyond reasonable doubt. It's up to the authorities to prove he's guilty not for him to prove he's innocent. The authorities make it up as they go along.

*** My post above is not support for Jenkins - I haven't seen the evidence ***

Wierd because my understanding of the law in this country was that you were innocent until PROVEN guilty beyond reasonable doubt. It's up to the authorities to prove he's guilty not for him to prove he's innocent. The authorities make it up as they go along.

*** My post above is not support for Jenkins - I haven't seen the evidence ***

i agree with your post to an extent. The law says you are Innocent untill proven guilty.

it's got something to do with the re-trials and the Jury not being able to come to a decision.

i sat on a jury that was a re-trial, although we did not know this at the time. we could not come to a decision either and the defendant walked free after a 9-3 split. i can say now that i think the defendant was guilty but the police were unable to prove it.

if i remember rightly the crown had brought the case twice and the only way to completely clear his name was for the defence to ask for another trial, which they didn't unsurprisingly.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
It's interesting that Jenkins failed totally to convince any of his own family or his foster daughter's family that he was innocent.

I believe that he has since married a wealthy woman who wrote to him in jail.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I know someone who covered both his trials for national media and has covered all the big cases in Lewes as well as sussex related cases at the Old Bailey and he reckons that Jenkins' being a free man is the biggest miscarriage of justice in modern times.

I know the police do (regularly) get things wrong and can be myopic in certain instances (they are supposed to investigate all avenues that point to or away from the suspect but in many cases don't) but I don't believe this to be one of those cases.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The police said the same about Colin Stagg and the Rachel Nickell murder. They lied about that as well.

The forensic pshychologist on that case was convinced as well - he wrote about the Rachel Nickell murder in his book, "Jigsaw Man". From what I remember he said that the chances of someone else fitting the killer's profile being at the same place at the same time were miniscule. He has now, of course, been proved wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here