Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Single Malt

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
I am a big fan of Talisker 18.. Not so peaty as some of the other Taliskers , but a very nice drop. I also like Jura Prophecy. Earlier, Welsh whiskys were mentioned, I also bought a bottle last time I was in Wales, didnt expect much from it, but was pleasantly surprised

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
My brother in law is a huge whisky fan, so I got him a lovely bottle of Japanese whisky for his 50th.. he was blown away by how good it was

Worth looking into the Japanese market as it were.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I bought some Penderyn the other day. I was a bit sniffy about it as Welsh whisky (or wisgi as it's spelled) didn't seem right to me but it's rather nice.

It's not something that will ever replace my beloved Islay but it's a good back-up.

Came in this thread to say the same thing. Heartily recommend the distillery tour if you’re down that way. They have some fantastic single barrel varieties in the shop that you won’t find online as well.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Recently tried a “blind” sample (so my subconscious bias didn’t come through) of Kavalan whisky and was very impressed - it was from Taiwan and award winning. I was going to buy but slightly bulking at spending £80 on a bottle so whilst in the whisky shop trying to make decision they let me try a Campbeltown - Glen Scotia - really warming and full of flavour so I bought it instead.

Just had an email from the Whisky shop - they have a Dalmore Sherry Cask - a brand new edition which combines my two favourites - Dalmore and sherry cask - so that’s my Xmas shoppping list sorted.

Thanks for the tips above, I’m going to finish off my bottles with little left in them (need a friend to drink the Laphroig) so it will be Tullibardine this weekend

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
My recent go-to single malt is The Sexton, a N. Irish whiskey. Probably Bushmills. An unusual hexagon bottle and a slightly salty tang. Excellent value for money. Available in Waitrose for £30, often on offer at £25. Try it if you get the chance.

Its Bushmills, same owners.

Bushmills 10 (single malt, the white/red/black 'colour' brandings are blends) can be got for buttons coming up to Christmas and is an exceptional example. No smoke, obviously.

On the Scotch side of the cupboard, Talisker is my most regular I'd say.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I am a big fan of Talisker 18.. Not so peaty as some of the other Taliskers , but a very nice drop. I also like Jura Prophecy. Earlier, Welsh whiskys were mentioned, I also bought a bottle last time I was in Wales, didnt expect much from it, but was pleasantly surprised

Woahhhhhhh smokey that Talisker :cheers:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm not much of a whisky fan, but Did some work at the Invergordon Distillery back in 2002/3 and got introduced to single grain. light almost coconut ish flavour, and suprisingly good.

THey stopped producing the cooking 10 year old not long after I was there, but I still have a bottle left.

we got the full tour while we weer there, quite a place! ALso met Terry Nutkins in the Hotel bar back in Inverness!

https://www.masterofmalt.com/distilleries/invergordon-distillery/

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Recently tried a “blind” sample (so my subconscious bias didn’t come through) of Kavalan whisky and was very impressed - it was from Taiwan and award winning. I was going to buy but slightly bulking at spending £80 on a bottle so whilst in the whisky shop trying to make decision they let me try a Campbeltown - Glen Scotia - really warming and full of flavour so I bought it instead.

Just had an email from the Whisky shop - they have a Dalmore Sherry Cask - a brand new edition which combines my two favourites - Dalmore and sherry cask - so that’s my Xmas shoppping list sorted.

Thanks for the tips above, I’m going to finish off my bottles with little left in them (need a friend to drink the Laphroig) so it will be Tullibardine this weekend

I've never had a Campbeltown, it's my birthday next month - that may be on the list. And there's always Christmas

If you ever need help finishing off Laphroig .....:lolol:

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Its Bushmills, same owners.

Bushmills 10 (single malt, the white/red/black 'colour' brandings are blends) can be got for buttons coming up to Christmas and is an exceptional example. No smoke, obviously.

Strange that they keep the Bushmills name off the Sexton bottle.

Agree about Bushmills 10 (currently down to £25 at my local Sainsbury's). I treated myself to the 16-year old recently which is lovely.

Slàinte

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Whilst visiting Craganmore distillery tour last month, they told me that because people no longer drink as much sherry they were running out of sherry casks to finish off whisky. So now the sherry houses are being paid to make sherry and basically pour it drown the drain (or as the lady doing the talk made alcohol hanged with it)

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Any recommendations for Single Malt Whiskey? Am looking to spend anything under £50.
Edit... just noticed this thread is 3 years old, I'll leave this info here just in case.

I am going to recommend three Irish whiskies, as you spelt it with an 'e' .... you have to take my word for it, these are top drawer for mellow, smooth and very drinkable flavours..... easy to drink on their own, no mixers or water needed. I know the last is over your price range, but it'll be worth it as a special occasion tipple.

1) Method and Madness ... Single Pot Still ..... from the famous Midleton producers. £45-50

2) Redbreast 12 Year Old Single Pot Still
£40

3) Bushmills Port Cask 16 Year Old Single Malt ( Steamship) .. £80

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here