Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

single malt whiskey

Feb 12, 2012
Talisker bit too peaty for me... I prefer Auchentoshan (aged 12 years). Visit the Whisky shop in East Street for a few tasters!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
cheers for all the advice . looks like i may plump for the auchentoshan(sp) one or the jura as hes a bit of a novice

I'm a novice, and both the Jura and the Auchentoshan have been great for me - too great. The Auchentoshan is really smooth, ridiculously so.

Domsdad

brother of Patch
Sep 24, 2003
Its grim up north
When I first went to Scotland I made the mistake of asking for a good whisky. The obvious answer was "they're all good, they're Scotch whisky".
I'd recommend Highland Park if you want to start on something not too extreme.

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
single malt is crafted by a single distillery from a single water source, usually a spring in some highland glen.

blended is mass produced in a large city based distillery using water from the tap.

You don't actually know much about whisky do you? Yes, Bells and Teachers might be what you describe, but most blended malts are a blend of a few single malts and can be amazingly complex in nature picking up some of the characteristics of each malt included. Try a Blue Label Johnnie Walker (around £200 a bottle) which includes in its blend a single malt from 1876 from a long since closed distillary - probably the best whisky I've had, but not surprising at that price. However, I usually prefer drinking lots of single malts seperately. My favourite entry level would be Ardbeg - preferably the 15 yo but 10 yo if not. But it is VERY peaty / smoky and certainly not for everyone's tastes. Whoever mentioned Japanese whiskies - spot on too, they're currently some of the best around - they even import some of the old distillary equipment from Scotland to ensure they get the older characteristics embedded in their newer whiskies.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You don't actually know much about whisky do you? Yes, Bells and Teachers might be what you describe,

nope. i'd have thought it was clear from the desciption i was refering to the Bells of the world. if there are well made blended that are nice, its a shame they havent found a different name by which to call themselves, to seperate them from the cheap harsh industrial rubbish.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
nope. i'd have thought it was clear from the desciption i was refering to the Bells of the world. if there are well made blended that are nice, its a shame they havent found a different name by which to call themselves, to seperate them from the cheap harsh industrial rubbish.
I like Bells :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You don't actually know much about whisky do you? Yes, Bells and Teachers might be what you describe, but most blended malts are a blend of a few single malts and can be amazingly complex in nature picking up some of the characteristics of each malt included. Try a Blue Label Johnnie Walker (around £200 a bottle) which includes in its blend a single malt from 1876 from a long since closed distillary - probably the best whisky I've had, but not surprising at that price. However, I usually prefer drinking lots of single malts seperately. My favourite entry level would be Ardbeg - preferably the 15 yo but 10 yo if not. But it is VERY peaty / smoky and certainly not for everyone's tastes. Whoever mentioned Japanese whiskies - spot on too, they're currently some of the best around - they even import some of the old distillary equipment from Scotland to ensure they get the older characteristics embedded in their newer whiskies.

I think you'll find a blended scotch made up solely of other single malts is called a vatted malt (if it doesn't contain grain whisky). A blended whisky will often include a grain whisky in the blend which is cheaper to produce than a single malt that uses a single type of malted grain such as barley or sometimes rye.

Dandyman

In London village.
Laphroig and Lagavullin are great, powerful, peaty and smoky malts.

If you're looking for something more aromatic and fruity try a Macallans 10 year old finished in sherry casks
If you want something light and quaffable go for a Dalwhinnie 15 year old.
You can pick both up for around £30

Amen to all of those. Great choices.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Lagavulin and Talisker - both are nectar of the Gods but if buying for someone else, especially for someone who is new-ish to single malts I would opt for a Macallan or Highland Park rather than one of the peatier jobs. I could understand someone might be put off if their first experience is Laphroig, however special it may be.

I was always a real ale man but first acquired my taste for malt whisky with those smooth Irish Whiskeys, then moved on from there. A nice single malt is a lovely way to end an evening.

Might have to have a medicinal dram or two later.....

Jul 7, 2003
I'd go for Highland Park - great taste but, as others have said, not too peaty compared to some of the other malts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here