Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Singers who can't sing (or those whose voices you can't stand).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You lot are all mad.

Six pages in and dissing of greats like Stevie Wonder, Buddy Holly, Toots Hibbert, Billy McKenzie, Willie Nelson and Lemmy and still nobody has mentioned Sir Reginald Pub-Sings-Through-His Nose.

View attachment 95553

Fair point about Tina Turner though Buzzer.
Elton lost it about 20 years ago, however when at his peak, the albums, Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy and GYBR are masterpieces.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Add Tina Turner to my list of voices that grate.

The only track of Tina Turner, I like is Nutbush City Limits, although I can tolerate River Deep, & Mountain High.

I cannot stand Adele, who screeches. I switch the car radio off when she comes on.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If we're doing voices that grate, then my list that immediately springs to mind includes:

Joe Cocker
Van Morrison
Tom Waits
Tina Turner
Bon Jovi bloke ( living on a prayer on repeat would make me confess to anything!)
Radiohead bloke

Reggae wise, I've always struggled a bit with Bim Sherman and Toots Hibbert.

I can't stand Bruce Springsteen in rock mode, but I once saw on tv a bluegrass session he did and I actually quite enjoyed it.
Some very good shouts there.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I imagine I'm probably going straight to hell for this musical sacrilege, but....
:eek:

spm1_thumb.jpg

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I hate the miserable sound of Morrisey- reminds me of northeners

& chris martin & paul McCartney can't sing

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Paul McCartney deserves to be in this thread for still referring to himself as a songwriter despite having written nothing but rubbish since Live And Let Die.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
If we're doing voices that grate, then my list that immediately springs to mind includes:

Joe Cocker
Van Morrison
Tom Waits
Tina Turner
Bon Jovi bloke ( living on a prayer on repeat would make me confess to anything!)
Radiohead bloke

Reggae wise, I've always struggled a bit with Bim Sherman and Toots Hibbert.

I can't stand Bruce Springsteen in rock mode, but I once saw on tv a bluegrass session he did and I actually quite enjoyed it.

Toots Hibbert, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
(I quite like his voice)

Not sure if mentioned already but the bloke from Suede wins this hands down for me

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Bob Dylan, great songwriter, but I can't stand his voice

He couldn’t sing, play mouth organ or guitar but he played all three brilliantly.

I wish I could remember where that quote came from.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
So many and so little time:

Tunde from Lighthouse Family
Morrissey who only has three notes and makes them boring
Famously flat singer Carol Decker from T'Pau
Michael Ball who can bore up any song despite his cheeky face
Alfie friggin' Boe

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits. He usually talks through the songs. Great guitarist though.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I hate this thread, as I've now got Pipes of Peace reverberating round my head :nono:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You lot are all mad.

Six pages in and dissing of greats like Stevie Wonder, Buddy Holly, Toots Hibbert, Billy McKenzie, Willie Nelson and Lemmy and still nobody has mentioned Sir Reginald Pub-Sings-Through-His Nose.

View attachment 95553

Fair point about Tina Turner though Buzzer.

One of the few artists I actually turn the radio off for three minutes when one of his songs come on.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Who was the lead singer of the Beach Boys? Brian Wilson?

Him.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Elton lost it about 20 years ago, however when at his peak, the albums, Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy and GYBR are masterpieces.

Nice try, but this was 34 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB86UzewPdo

He never could sing, not even in the seventies*, not even when he was gurning his way through hack cover versions of 1970's big hits. His version of Signed Sealed Delivered may even have Buzzer begging for Stevie Wonder back:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/char...om-1969-70-as-sung-by-elton-john-mw0000905534

* and Bernie Taupin's lyrics are utter drivel.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Paul McCartney deserves to be in this thread for still referring to himself as a songwriter despite having written nothing but rubbish since Live And Let Die.

You are having a great night in trying to be controversial, first Madonna's 3rd album, list of singers and now this.

Band on the Run, which is acknowledged as his post Beatles masterpiece was written after Live and Let Die, but why worry it's only personal views.
And a rubbish single which which was double platinum in the UK alone.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A few controversial entries from me.

Stevie Wonder
Bruce Springsteen
Paul Simon
Tim Burgess (Charlatans)
Paul Heaton (Beautiful South)
Seal
Phil Lynott
Steve Harley
Lisa Stansfield
Willie Nelson
That singer from Mott The Hoople

I know most of those are bloody great singers but their voices just make me want to reach for the fast forward button.

Agree with all except Ian Hunter. All the Young Dudes version better than the writers. Wife saw them in 1974 when Queen supported.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Who was the lead singer of the Beach Boys? Brian Wilson?

Him.

No.

You might mean Mike Love or Carl Wilson.

Art is always subjective. There is no right and wrong and everybody's opinion is equally valid*

* - Yours is all kinds of wrong though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here