Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sing along Sussex By The Sea

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The fact that most joined in only when it cut out shows most people (think at least they) know the words, they just can't be bothered to sing it. I reckon cut out the last few lines once the timing is there (as it was terribly fast on saturday). It'll get the players blood flowing.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Keep it simple. They should cut it just for the "Oh we're going up, and we'll win the cup, for Sussex by the sea" line...

A line I wouldn't sing, if it was going to be done properly.

The point Lush was making earlier was spot on.

For example, West Ham and Liverpool have their 'anthems' played before the teams come out, and turn the sound down for the crowd to take over. Funnily enough, this is done without the words anywhere being shown.

I wouldn't mind the Albion coming out to a pre-recorded choral version with the sound turned down at an appropriate point in the way the resepective anthems are done at Liverpool and West Ham. I think it would work, and it would definitely be better than the 'bouncing ball' version.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Do the bouncing ball and the cutting out for the next six matches and then I am pretty sure everyone will agree that's it's excellent and carry it on.

The Derby experience at the end of last season shows how good it can be. And Forest cutting the music as well was really impressive.

The comment about away fans taking the piss is irrelevant, because who gives a shit. Also it's Blackpool up next and they won't have many anyway!!!

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
There are two big differences between how GOSBTS is played and some other teams 'anthems'. Firstly, some other teams songs are not played as the teams walk out. They are either played before the teams walk out or after they have finished the handshakes. I'm not sure if this makes much of a difference or not but fans like to applaud their team as they walk onto the pitch and so the playing of the 'anthem' at this time maybe gets in the way? It also explains the rhythmic clapping which seems to upset some people on here, i.e. I've got to clap the team out so I might as well clap in time to GOSBTS at the same time. Having said that I am a traditionalist and GOSBTS has always been played as the players have walked out so I am not necessarily suggesting it should be changed. The other big difference between other teams songs and ours is that ours is an instrumental version whereas most others are choral versions. If we had a choral version would that make it easier for fans to sing along to? I did think it was great yesterday and I would like to see us getting this right as it would sound amazing..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I emailed Paul Barber and within 5 minutes received this reply:

Dear Bob!

Thanks for your email.

There was indeed a technical issue with the SBTS soundtrack. And, yes, it was great to hear our supporters fill the resulting void so admirably.

I've already remarked to Paul Camillin, our head of communications, that we should cut the soundtrack more often!

Having the words on the big screens has been discussed a few times previously - and it does tend to divide opinion a bit like Marmite...

Nevertheless, it's certainly something we will debate again internally and will take a view on for our future home matches.

Thanks again for writing.

Regards, Paul

Promising.....

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
I emailed Paul Barber and within 5 minutes received this

Having the words on the big screens has been discussed a few times previously - and it does tend to divide opinion a bit like Marmite...

Nevertheless, it's certainly something we will debate again internally and will take a view on for our future home matches.

Let's hope if they do decide to do it they get the right lines. STAND OR FALL, not going up to win da cup...

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Pompey have listed their fallen on their shirts as a WW1 centenary tribute. We should make a big effort for our supporters to know a couple of verses of the original words to belt out as a tribute to the fallen of Sussex. I'm sure they would look down fondly on us trying our best and realising how lucky we are.
I would think that most clubs would love to have an historic song like ours that they could adopt as their own.

I hope we are able to get something on the screen before each game for a couple of seasons so that it eventually becomes automatic just like Jerusalem has done for the Barmy Army. If we could get it learnt by the majority of fans I can think of no finer tribute to the Men of Sussex who gave their lives during the 1914-18 war.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Pompey have listed their fallen on their shirts as a WW1 centenary tribute. We should make a big effort for our supporters to know a couple of verses of the original words to belt out as a tribute to the fallen of Sussex. I'm sure they would look down fondly on us trying our best and realising how lucky we are.
I would think that most clubs would love to have an historic song like ours that they could adopt as their own.

I hope we are able to get something on the screen before each game for a couple of seasons so that it eventually becomes automatic just like Jerusalem has done for the Barmy Army. If we could get it learnt by the majority of fans I can think of no finer tribute to the Men of Sussex who gave their lives during the 1914-18 war.

Agree mate

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I like the pace spurs fans sing oh when the spurs go Marching in, it give the chance for the whole stadium to join in.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
That line doesn't kick in until the 2nd verse, I think that might be pushing it a bit expecting our own fans to learn 2 simple verses.

Pretty sure it's part of the chorus too.

It certainly isn't "going up & win the cup" .... That's for sure.

FWIW My daughter learnt the 1st and 2nd verse when she was 12 because she wanted to sing it at the Amex, so can't see why others can't put in the effort... :)

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
FWIW My daughter learnt the 1st and 2nd verse when she was 12 because she wanted to sing it at the Amex, so can't see why others can't put in the effort... :)

I think it's ridiculous that we don't make more of the song, 2 verses is all it would need and would sound great.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
They should just cut out the sound from the points just before the chorus, then we start singing "Good old Sussex by the sea......... Good old Sussex by the sea". Then just put up the words from that point (no bouncing ball!), "you can tell them all that we stand or fall, for Sussex by the Sea".
It would be immense.
The reason I would put up those words is because most sing the wrong words of 'going up to win the cup' instead of the Stand or Fall line.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There are two big differences between how GOSBTS is played and some other teams 'anthems'. Firstly, some other teams songs are not played as the teams walk out.

WHEN it's played is by the by. If there's rhythmic clapping to the song - great. But people can't even do that in time.

The other big difference between other teams songs and ours is that ours is an instrumental version whereas most others are choral versions. If we had a choral version would that make it easier for fans to sing along to?

MUCH easier.

We had an opera singer a couple of years ago on the pitch who sang the teams out. Those who knew the words sang along. It was brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here