Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Simple straw poll: New Home Shirt - YAY/NAY ?

New Home Shirt

• YAY

Votes: 96 15.8%
  • NAY

Votes: 403 66.5%
  • M-EH

Votes: 107 17.7%

• Total voters

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I have christian beliefs, but find the picture a bit amusing and light-hearted. I do not think it is genuinely making out that Norman Cook is Christ, nor is it saying that he is the saviour of mankind. However, for his part, without the money he ploughed into the club in the dark days we'd have surely gone under, it was a redemption of sorts for BHA and our supporters. The bible actually encourages believers to become more christlike so surely a person becoming more christlike in that they are kind, generous and thinking of others is no bad thing?
But he has been a very naughty boy.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No, you've misunderstood, which is perhaps understandable. I'm not offended on anyone's behalf. I am a Christian, but it goes beyond that.
I just don't like it. It's not that I feel offended, because that would be the wrong word, but there's something I don't like about it. I feel that it is treating as trivial something of great importance. It's a symptom of society, that everything has to be banter all the time, there is no depth, and everything is meaningless and to be mocked. The priorities of society I find strange. One of my son's friends, 17, was stabbed to death recently. There's a lot I could say about this, but I don't think it would be appreciated. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. But I did and now look at us! :lolol:
Anyway, I quite like the current kit.
I take it you didn't click on the Google images link I included, then?

Sorry for your son's loss – in light of that, I'll leave the 'debate' there.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's disrespectful in a general sense. That's how it struck me so I posted it, without reflecting on precisely the degree to which it is so. Weighing it up, I concluded the level of disrespect was low, and probably not intended to be offensive, so I described it as "a bit". Like you say, it's a big topic, probably not best suited to a thread about a football club's choice of strip. I guess that's what can happen on online forums.
Don’t watch Life of Brian whatever you do. And that particular “disrespect” is older than me.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don’t watch Life if Brian whatever you do. And that particular “disrespect” is older than me.
I never have. It is not something I wanted to do.

I posted earlier, he has a point. Nsc has always been open to all sorts of discussion so please can we keep it that way, and allow different points of view without a pile on?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I never have. It is not something I wanted to do.

I posted earlier, he has a point. Nsc has always been open to all sorts of discussion so please can we keep it that way, and allow different points of view without a pile on?
Hardly a pile on to point out this isn’t a modern phenomenon:shrug:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I see it as a take on the statue, rather than Jesus himself.
As to the kit , I have got used to it now but still don’t like it much. I have wondered if the designer factored in the sponsor’s horizontal bar?.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
I think you'll find for most of us Albion IS our religion, so in our eyes its improved :) either way, its photoshop and there are far more things to worry about than a fake shirt over something that can't be proven is real (I'm talking about god, no the statue, obviously!)

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
I take it you didn't click on the Google images link I included, then?

Sorry for your son's loss – in light of that, I'll leave the 'debate' there.
For the record, yes I looked at your link, but the fact remains that the photo-shopped image is a bit disrespectful. It's not the statue that's the issue, but what it represents, ie. Jesus of Nazareth. He is in my opinion and the opinion of many the greatest religious teacher of all time, considered by 2 billion Christians to be incarnation of God. So it's slightly mocking, kind of facetious. Do people who try to mock Jesus think they're being edgy I wonder. The topic of religion has entered this thread because someone brought it here by posting a photo-shopped image of a statue of Jesus.

Yes, I've also seen the Life of Brian. At the time I found it amusing. There are some great scenes in it. For the most part I don't find it to be attacking Jesus directly. It's about an Israelite called Brian whose life ran parallel to Jesus's.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
For the record, yes I looked at your link, but the fact remains that the photo-shopped image is a bit disrespectful. It's not the statue that's the issue, but what it represents, ie. Jesus of Nazareth. He is in my opinion and the opinion of many the greatest religious teacher of all time, considered by 2 billion Christians to be incarnation of God. So it's slightly mocking, kind of facetious. Do people who try to mock Jesus think they're being edgy I wonder. The topic of religion has entered this thread because someone brought it here by posting a photo-shopped image of a statue of Jesus.

Yes, I've also seen the Life of Brian. At the time I found it amusing. There are some great scenes in it. For the most part I don't find it to be attacking Jesus directly. It's about an Israelite called Brian whose life ran parallel to Jesus's.
How very woke. You have turned a kit thread into a thread about being offended about a guy who may or may not of existed hundreds of years ago, who was handy with bread and wine and was the son of a man who lives in the sky! Only on NSC!

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
How very woke. You have turned a kit thread into a thread about being offended about a guy who may or may not of existed hundreds of years ago, who was handy with bread and wine and was the son of a man who lives in the sky! Only on NSC!
Mate, I didn't bring Jesus into this thread so don't blame me. Someone else did and I have every right to respond. Having posted what you just have, you're probably going to complain that I'm responding. I don't mind you posting it, but then don't complain.

Being woke is something I have no particular interest in being, to be honest.
It's weird when people say he may or may not have existed. If you really think like that then I don't wish to be rude, but you kind of don't have a clue.
Perhaps you haven't read much about it, but among serious historians, even hardened skeptics like Bart Erhman, there is no question about it, he is as historical a figure as Julius Caesar.

"Every week I receive two or three e-mails asking me whether Jesus existed as a human being. When I started getting these e-mails, some years ago now, I thought the question was rather peculiar and I did not take it seriously. Of course Jesus existed. Everyone knows he existed. Don’t they? But the questions kept coming, and soon I began to wonder: Why are so many people asking? My wonder only increased when I learned that I myself was being quoted in some circles— misquoted rather—as saying that Jesus never existed. I decided to look into the matter. I discovered, to my surprise, an entire body of literature devoted to the question of whether or not there ever was a real man, Jesus. I was surprised because I am trained as a scholar of the New Testament and early Christianity, and for thirty years I have written extensively on the historical Jesus, the Gospels, the early Christian movement, and the history of the church’s first three hundred years. Like all New Testament scholars, I have read thousands of books and articles in English and other European languages on Jesus, the New Testament, and early Christianity. But I was almost completely unaware—as are most of my colleagues in the field—of this body of skeptical literature. I should say at the outset that none of this literature is written by scholars trained in New Testament or early Christian studies teaching at the major, or even the minor, accredited theological seminaries, divinity schools, universities, or colleges of North America or Europe (or anywhere else in the world). Of the thousands of scholars of early Christianity who do teach at such schools, none of them, to my knowledge, has any doubts that Jesus existed....What I do hope is to convince genuine seekers who really want to know how we know that Jesus did exist, as virtually every scholar of antiquity, of biblical studies, of classics, and of Christian origins in this country and, in fact, in the Western world agrees. Many of these scholars have no vested interest in the matter. As it turns out, I myself do not either. I am not a Christian, and I have no interest in promoting a Christian cause or a Christian agenda. I am an agnostic with atheist leanings, and my life and views of the world would be approximately the same whether or not Jesus existed. My beliefs would vary little. The answer to the question of Jesus’s historical existence will not make me more or less happy, content, hopeful, likable, rich, famous, or immortal. But as a historian I think evidence matters. And the past matters. And for anyone to whom both evidence and the past matter, a dispassionate consideration of the case makes it quite plain: Jesus did exist."

Last edited:

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Mate, I didn't bring Jesus into this thread so don't blame me. Someone else did and I have every right to respond. Having posted what you just have, you're probably going to complain that I'm responding. I don't mind you posting it, but then don't complain.

Being woke is something I have no particular interest in being, to be honest.
It's weird when people say he may or may not have existed. If you really think like that then I don't wish to be rude, but you kind of don't have a clue.
Perhaps you haven't read much about it, but among serious historians, even hardened skeptics like Bart Erhman, there is no question about it, he is as historical a figure as Julius Caesar.

"Every week I receive two or three e-mails asking me whether Jesus existed as a human being. When I started getting these e-mails, some years ago now, I thought the question was rather peculiar and I did not take it seriously. Of course Jesus existed. Everyone knows he existed. Don’t they? But the questions kept coming, and soon I began to wonder: Why are so many people asking? My wonder only increased when I learned that I myself was being quoted in some circles— misquoted rather—as saying that Jesus never existed. I decided to look into the matter. I discovered, to my surprise, an entire body of literature devoted to the question of whether or not there ever was a real man, Jesus. I was surprised because I am trained as a scholar of the New Testament and early Christianity, and for thirty years I have written extensively on the historical Jesus, the Gospels, the early Christian movement, and the history of the church’s first three hundred years. Like all New Testament scholars, I have read thousands of books and articles in English and other European languages on Jesus, the New Testament, and early Christianity. But I was almost completely unaware—as are most of my colleagues in the field—of this body of skeptical literature. I should say at the outset that none of this literature is written by scholars trained in New Testament or early Christian studies teaching at the major, or even the minor, accredited theological seminaries, divinity schools, universities, or colleges of North America or Europe (or anywhere else in the world). Of the thousands of scholars of early Christianity who do teach at such schools, none of them, to my knowledge, has any doubts that Jesus existed....What I do hope is to convince genuine seekers who really want to know how we know that Jesus did exist, as virtually every scholar of antiquity, of biblical studies, of classics, and of Christian origins in this country and, in fact, in the Western world agrees. Many of these scholars have no vested interest in the matter. As it turns out, I myself do not either. I am not a Christian, and I have no interest in promoting a Christian cause or a Christian agenda. I am an agnostic with atheist leanings, and my life and views of the world would be approximately the same whether or not Jesus existed. My beliefs would vary little. The answer to the question of Jesus’s historical existence will not make me more or less happy, content, hopeful, likable, rich, famous, or immortal. But as a historian I think evidence matters. And the past matters. And for anyone to whom both evidence and the past matter, a dispassionate consideration of the case makes it quite plain: Jesus did exist."

Fair play to you matey! Up to you if you wanna believe a load of fiction and i have no issues with that👍 I am not sure the New Kit thread is the place for a theological debate!

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Fair play to you matey! Up to you if you wanna believe a load of fiction and i have no issues with that👍 I am not sure the New Kit thread is the place for a theological debate!
That's a fair comment about the thread, perhaps there should be a separate one since this thread has been somewhat derailed by this discussion. About fiction, who do you think has looked into the question of whether it's fiction more, me or you? Since you say you don't know whether or not Jesus really existed it's obvious that you have done zero research on the matter. Virtually every scholar, be they believers or atheists, knows that Jesus was a real historical figure. If you at least learn that then you will be one step closer to the truth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here