Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simple question really

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Not what I was hoping to hear.:( I have been approached by a very persistent but good scammer who claims to be calling from Boston USA. I can hold a phone conversation with him as if he were in the UK and i was hoping the absence of a delay would catch him out.

This is his Web site
www.globalasboston.com

Latency from East coast USA to UK is about 35-50 ms, depending on carrier/route.

Yes. Radio waves have to travel to a satellite and be reflected back. This makes a tiny, but noticeable, amount of time.

Or electrical signals travel through cables on the sea bed of the Atlantic Ocean. This also takes time.

Electrical ???

Everything is fibre optic now.

Who puts in softphone without the required bandwidth to support it??!! �� ��

It’s not the telephony bandwidth that’s the issue, it’s people connecting to youtube/facebook etc. on work computers.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Crappy headsets rather than the software usually??

it can be, often they are relying on the built in mic. then other software can impact performace especially on older laptops. thats the issue really, lots of different factors effect softphones, when phone has dedicated hardware for single purpose.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Latency from East coast USA to UK is about 35-50 ms, depending on carrier/route.

Electrical ???

Everything is fibre optic now.

It’s not the telephony bandwidth that’s the issue, it’s people connecting to youtube/facebook etc. on work computers.

Probably has an impact......no access to facebook on our work systems so that helps. Softphone generally works very well - I am using it at home 2-3 days a week and abroad at least one week a month and it's usually ok. My company laptop isn't particularly flash either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here