Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Simone Pafundi

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
He's quite weak physically, and if he's still too weak for Serie A I don't imagine he's anywhere near Premier League-ready. Plus it's an area of the pitch where you don't exactly lack players. There's been lots of talk about him because in the future he could be a good Italian attacking talent, but imo he's not worth that kind of price from you right now.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Isn't 18 until next March, so I think that rules out DeZerbi caching him for another season at least, doesn't it?

Would probably need to be either loaned back or spend a season at USG.
Technically you’re correct. But, there are ways around the U18 FIFA rule, clubs in some countries like the US do it regularly.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Party in the USA - Miley Cyrus

I throw my hands up, a player song?
The doubters can go away
Nodding my head like yeah
Moving my hips like yeah

I throw my hands up, the player song
I actually think it is ok
Yeeaaah
It's Parfundi and he's here to play

Last edited:

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
He looks a real talent but €20 million at his age that’s the sort of risk the big boys clubs take not sure we are in that group yet
Conversley selling clubs will look at us sitting sixth in the EPL, above the likes of so called top six clubs like Tottenham and Chelsea, so will up the price of their players.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Conversley selling clubs will look at us sitting sixth in the EPL, above the likes of so called top six clubs like Tottenham and Chelsea, so will up the price of their players.
Indeed I am sure that will be the case into the future but do we have the financial clout to compete if we move away from not buying unproven low cost talent to established Italian international players all be it aged 18

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is De Zerbi now identifying the players he wants and telling the recruitment team he wants them? - instead of the recruitment team (and the algorithms) identifying players and offering the manager the final say yay or nay. Hope not - if that is the case and leads to a clash it isn't going to end well.
Reading the interviews posted today, RDZ is cock-a-hoop over how the club does what he asks.

I see no clash. And as for London Calling, they can f*** off ;)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's quite weak physically, and if he's still too weak for Serie A I don't imagine he's anywhere near Premier League-ready. Plus it's an area of the pitch where you don't exactly lack players. There's been lots of talk about him because in the future he could be a good Italian attacking talent, but imo he's not worth that kind of price from you right now.
Enciso was quite weak physically, 6 months ago.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think it'll just be a mixture. Some RDZ will identify, some the club will indentify, but yes overall RDZ has final say. I'd think the only way we sign a player that RDZ hasnt given the green light on is if they're so young they feasibly wouldnt be involved with the first team anytime soon. We arent going to force players on him. Its collaborative effort these days to find players, with no one avenue discounted, and from what RDZ has said he seems fine with it.
Not sue that's right. I don't think RdZ identifies targets. But he definitely gets to say if he wants the ones the team heave identified.

He might add new intelligence to the assessment through his own experience of managing a player or having seen them play but he's not spotting talent in the way managers used to.

And from what we read, he's comfortable with that, now.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I can see your point however since TB has been in charge we have tended to buy players for a one or two million or less this if true is a big step up and I am not sure we are financially at that level but then again why would I know TB has never phoned me with any update
Have we? I recall Kozlowski, Enciso, Bissouma, Ali Mac all young players costing serious wedge.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Summertime
And we're lovin' Pafundi
Fans are jumpin'
And the match is on fire
Oh, your daddy's rich
And your ma' is good lookin'
Play on
Our Pafundi
Don't you tire

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Pafundi don't play for shows
Pafundi don't play for clothes
Pafundi just plays for me
Pafundi don't play for cars and races
Pafundi don't play for high-tone places
Pafundi just plays for
Pafundi just plays for
Pafundi just plays for me

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Not sue that's right. I don't think RdZ identifies targets. But he definitely gets to say if he wants the ones the team heave identified.

He might add new intelligence to the assessment through his own experience of managing a player or having seen them play but he's not spotting talent in the way managers used to.

And from what we read, he's comfortable with that, now.
Although RDZ won’t be identifying targets as part of his everyday role he’ll still have the remit to suggest targets to the recruitment team. Chances are we are already aware of them but no club would totally stop a manager/coach from being able to suggest targets.

We are said to be very interested in Mykola Matviyenko from Shaktar, a lot of that is down to RDZ having previously managed him. How much he was on our radar before last September we will never know but both RDZ and Bloom/PBOBE know that there needs to be fluidity in the recruitment process and it can’t just be all our algorithms.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We are said to be very interested in Mykola Matviyenko from Shaktar, a lot of that is down to RDZ having previously managed him. How much he was on our radar before last September we will never know but both RDZ and Bloom/PBOBE know that there needs to be fluidity in the recruitment process and it can’t just be all our algorithms.
Not disagreeing with you, but by whom?

This could be the result of a rumour started by someone putting 2 and 2 together. Has anyone credible mentioned this? In which case, if not, that doesn't support your argument.

I agree that if there are players RdZ likes, they will be on the table automatically I would think. Then the data and the numbers will be crunched.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

This could be the result of a rumour started by someone putting 2 and 2 together. Has anyone credible mentioned this? In which case, if not, that doesn't support your argument.

I agree that if there are players RdZ likes, they will be on the table automatically I would think. Then the data and the numbers will be crunched.
Absolutely.

RDZ is at the table, but he doesn't have a special 'in'.

The club ain't going balls deep on the whim of a manager for whom they're already lining the replacement.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

There were plenty of reports we’d bid for him in the mainstream UK Press. Ornstein and Naylor both confirmed our interest in The Athletic too although I’m not sure they ever confirmed a firm bid.

Of course we won’t sign a player just because RDZ wants them but he’s going to be able to add someone to be looked at and analysed deeper even though chances are we would be well aware of these players already.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Mentioned again...

Italy talent Simone Pafundi continues to struggle for playing time at club level and is therefore considering a departure from Udinese, as Napoli and Brighton are interested.

The creative midfielder is only 17 years old, but already has one senior cap for Italy, as well as impressing for the Azzurrini in the Under-20 World Cup, where he scored a sensational free kick.

Despite all of that, he has only nine Serie A appearances under his belt for a total 99 minutes of football and is getting frustrated with the lack of progress at Udinese.

According to Sky Sport Italia transfer expert Gianluca Di Marzio, Pafundi is giving serious thought to a move this summer.

Among the clubs linked with a possible swoop for the teenager are Napoli – where some of his relatives already live – and Roberto De Zerbi’s Brighton and Hove Albion in the Premier League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here