Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Simon Hooper

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I sort of semi agree with you that there seems to have been a culture of "let's blame the ref" for the last couple of Defeats creeping in amongst fans.

What I can't agree with is that this was an " inept" performance. I thought is was a great performance.

Brighton v Everton. -. Everton were absolutely Superb. Brighton were very good. To me , Absolutely Superb just shades very good and that was reflected in the final result.

That's the first time I have seen Everton in a full 90 mins this season but I think watching them they are definitely Top 4 Contenders this season. They are excellent with and without the ball.

It's easy when the team plays so we'll like Brighton did today to try and search for a reason for the defeat because it wasn't the players fault. The next port of call is always the Officials.

I think you owe the OP an apology. I think he was only trying to say. " We shouldn't be losing when we play so well.

Play like that every week and all will be fine. Because that wasn't an " inept performance"

I agree with your analysis of the game, but Hooper, from Wiltshire, or Hoops, as the Bournemouth fans call him, has history.
He has given or missed some outrageous decisions in the past ten years.
We’ve also had him as an official in some capacity for three games in a row now.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I agree with your analysis of the game, but Hooper, from Wiltshire, or Hoops, as the Bournemouth fans call him, has history.
He has given or missed some outrageous decisions in the past ten years.
We’ve also had him as an official in some capacity for three games in a row now.

For years refs used to often be bias.

Not so much now especially at top flight level where their performance is analysed as much nowadays as the players.

Refs go out there now seeking approval for doing a good and fair job as opposed to attracting controversy.

Fans on the other hand don't always see it as it is. I always feel hard done by when the 50 / 50 go against my team. I make no apologies for it though. It's a bit like I would never be able to bet against them even if playing against Barcelona. It would feel like I was being disloyal.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I sort of semi agree with you that there seems to have been a culture of "let's blame the ref" for the last couple of Defeats creeping in amongst fans.

What I can't agree with is that this was an " inept" performance. I thought is was a great performance.

Brighton v Everton. -. Everton were absolutely Superb. Brighton were very good. To me , Absolutely Superb just shades very good and that was reflected in the final result.

That's the first time I have seen Everton in a full 90 mins this season but I think watching them they are definitely Top 4 Contenders this season. They are excellent with and without the ball.

It's easy when the team plays so we'll like Brighton did today to try and search for a reason for the defeat because it wasn't the players fault. The next port of call is always the Officials.

I think you owe the OP an apology. I think he was only trying to say. " We shouldn't be losing when we play so well.

Play like that every week and all will be fine. Because that wasn't an " inept performance"

What do you think we did today that was 'very good'? I saw us give the ball away often when not under much pressure. I saw us fail to defend set pieces. I saw us try to trouble a nervous goalkeeper very little and play a lot of set pieces backwards. I'd agree with the OP about the inconsistency of the referee, but we made our own problems, ineffective tactics executed sloppily.

I'm not someone who thinks that these players are not capable of doing well in this division, but Everton really didn't have to be very good to take the points. We've never won at Goodison and I think that anyone moaning that we didn't today is perhaps guilty of over-expectation, but I'm with those who expected a better performance. I got the impression from his comments that Graham Potter is also.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What do you think we did today that was 'very good'? I saw us give the ball away often when not under much pressure. I saw us fail to defend set pieces. I saw us try to trouble a nervous goalkeeper very little and play a lot of set pieces backwards. I'd agree with the OP about the inconsistency of the referee, but we made our own problems, ineffective tactics executed sloppily.

I'm not someone who thinks that these players are not capable of doing well in this division, but Everton really didn't have to be very good to take the points. We've never won at Goodison and I think that anyone moaning that we didn't today is perhaps guilty of over-expectation, but I'm with those who expected a better performance. I got the impression from his comments that Graham Potter is also.

You make a reasonable point - and in the pub, I was RAGING at the short corners we were taking when the box was loaded and Pickford was seemingly in the early stages of having a stroke (I was asked to calm down). The fact we failed to bung it in absolutely defied belief, as we ponced about playing it back to the halfway line. Talk about letting them off the hook.

I'm not going to chuck the baby out with the bathwater though, because at times we played some really good stuff, held possession, found space and asked questions. But I can't defend our defending (abysmal), and I can't discount your point at our sloppiness (Trossard with that pass, and Webster who didn't even glance over his shoulder at the totally unmarked Rodriguez behind him for the 4th).

We played the form team in the league, brimming with confidence. And the season will prove that they ARE better than us. But if we hadn't played like twats at one or two crucial periods, we could easily have got something from this game.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I thought there was some great possession with the ball there was great movement off the ball. I saw the team get themselves into really threatens positions in advanced areas close to the Everton box.

I will concede that all those short corners were a waste when balls should have been thrown in on top of the keeper who looked nervous. But Mina made a lot of last ditch clearances for Everton so there was pressure put on their defence.

The way Potter plays in getting so many players forward. That's always gonna make the team vulnerable to quick counter attacks.

That's the "trade off"

That's what the majority of fans seem to want.

I don't necessarily agree but being brave in attack comes with more risk defensively.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
For years refs used to often be bias.

Not so much now especially at top flight level where their performance is analysed as much nowadays as the players.

Refs go out there now seeking approval for doing a good and fair job as opposed to attracting controversy.

Fans on the other hand don't always see it as it is. I always feel hard done by when the 50 / 50 go against my team. I make no apologies for it though. It's a bit like I would never be able to bet against them even if playing against Barcelona. It would feel like I was being disloyal.

Can you explain how a ref books a player for pulling an opponent back from one team but fails to do the same when a player does the same thing for the other team, twice. Both times a free kick was awarded against Digne so there is no excuse that he didn't see it.

Their performance is analysed but they remain a secretive organization that shun any debate and in some cases make ridiculous anonymous press statements. For example, when Son was sent off last year for the ankle tap on Gomez the released statement, which I think was mirrored by one from the EPL, stated the sending off was correct because of the consequence of the tackle. That was absolute garbage as there is nothing in the rules relating to being sent off because of the consequence of a tackle rather than the tackle itself (not dissimilar to Dean's pathetic display at the Riverside). Of course both statements were garbage and the sending off was correctly rescinded.

Nothing will improve until the refs face the cameras to either justify their decisions or apologise for their mistakes.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
You make a reasonable point - and in the pub, I was RAGING at the short corners we were taking when the box was loaded and Pickford was seemingly in the early stages of having a stroke (I was asked to calm down). The fact we failed to bung it in absolutely defied belief, as we ponced about playing it back to the halfway line. Talk about letting them off the hook.

I'm not going to chuck the baby out with the bathwater though, because at times we played some really good stuff, held possession, found space and asked questions. But I can't defend our defending (abysmal), and I can't discount your point at our sloppiness (Trossard with that pass, and Webster who didn't even glance over his shoulder at the totally unmarked Rodriguez behind him for the 4th).

We played the form team in the league, brimming with confidence. And the season will prove that they ARE better than us. But if we hadn't played like twats at one or two crucial periods, we could easily have got something from this game.

I thought there was some great possession with the ball there was great movement off the ball. I saw the team get themselves into really threatens positions in advanced areas close to the Everton box.

I will concede that all those short corners were a waste when balls should have been thrown in on top of the keeper who looked nervous. But Mina made a lot of last ditch clearances for Everton so there was pressure put on their defence.

The way Potter plays in getting so many players forward. That's always gonna make the team vulnerable to quick counter attacks.

That's the "trade off"

I don't necessarily agree but being brave in attack comes with more risk defensively.

You both make good points about the neatness of some of our football in parts. Perhaps I overlooked this as it seems to be becoming a norm and if that's the case, I suppose its a good sign. For me it didn't make up for our obvious failings in the match. The short periods where 'we played like twats' have also occurred against Chelsea and Man Utd this season and didn't annoy me like they did today.

Perhaps I undervalued Everton's defensive performance, but for all of our neat football, Maupay's goal was our first chance in the first half. We then gave them two goals and didn't really create further chances until the game was already lost. On their forum, the Everton fans are giving Mina man of the match, so perhaps I'm a bit blinded by my frustration. We can do strong professional away performances as we proved at Leicester, Southampton, Wolves etc. That should have been the first priority in today's situation and the repeated incidents of naivety and weakness perhaps annoyed me to the point where I could see nothing positive other than Biss's consolation screamer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You both make good points about the neatness of some of our football in parts. Perhaps I overlooked this as it seems to be becoming a norm and if that's the case, I suppose its a good sign. For me it didn't make up for our obvious failings in the match. The short periods where 'we played like twats' have also occurred against Chelsea and Man Utd this season and didn't annoy me like they did today.

Perhaps I undervalued Everton's defensive performance, but for all of our neat football, Maupay's goal was our first chance in the first half. We then gave them two goals and didn't really create further chances until the game was already lost. On their forum, the Everton fans are giving Mina man of the match, so perhaps I'm a bit blinded by my frustration. We can do strong professional away performances as we proved at Leicester, Southampton, Wolves etc. That should have been the first priority in today's situation and the repeated incidents of naivety and weakness perhaps annoyed me to the point where I could see nothing positive other than Biss's consolation screamer.

I admit that I find that I often get caught up in the narrative and emotion of the game when I'm watching us live on TV. If we're losing - we're shit. If we're winning - we're brill. Sometimes I do need to take a step back, take a breath. Today I saw us play some decent progressive football, but we are so, SO brittle at the back, at set pieces particularly. That needs work. Against a shite team like Newcastle, we'll make hay. Against a decent team like Everton, with talented individuals and a smart manager, we'll often come unstuck. As was the case.

We've had a super-tough start though. I think we'll do enough against the dross to be ok. I reckon we'll beat last seasons total of 41.

There. I said it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

That's the "trade off"

I enjoy your posts. Given your background for being on NSC, you could so easily stick the knife in after results like yesterday. Keep posting your thoughts :thumbsup:

FWIW I am in complete agreement with your posts on this thread.

Re Hooper, like many others I knew he would make sure that he didn’t give us anything, so no surprise when he didn’t. In no way blaming him for the defeat but it must be incredibly frustrating to be an Albion player with him as ref.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This was posted at half time and would have been posted if we hadn’t have conceded bang on half time. And if we’d won. Not everyone is blinkered to a) blame the ref for a defeat (as I clearly said in the title) and b) see them as the same thing. He was horrendously on Everton’s side today but it didn’t make much difference and we got what we deserved (now repeating these words for the 3rd time on the thread).

I do wonder how VAR came to the decision on the first goal so quickly though as as soon as I saw white fall like that I was convinced it would be overturned.

Agreed. We could have started it Friday.

It’s not about performances, it’s about neutrality, which apparently since League 1, when managing our games Hooper seems incapable of IMO.

It simply cannot be a one-off in his case. Even the Complete and Utter Schyster has had some good games for us.

But ‘Hoops’, I honestly can’t remember one reasonable game when we’re involved.

Perhaps I just have blue and white specs...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
We all knew what he was going to be like - poor

What I don’t understand is the whole allocation process, I mean involvement in our games three times in seven days, despite controversial input in the first?

Can the club not appeal?

Is there any transparency as to how it works.

This.

It does seem poor. Is there no accountability for referees anymore?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
100% knew we'd get nothing out of this ref. For some reason he despises BHA and probably resents our presence in the PL. Every single marginal was given Evertons way, which I fully expected from the outset, and so it came to pass.

"Hoops" wasn't the reason we lost. But we were always fighting an additional battle with him in charge. We always are.

Thank you - exactly the point I was making. Every marginal seemed to go there way and no it wasn’t why we lost. Glad the majority could see it. And the fact he got away with breaking the VAR rules last week is typical of the FA. And then reffed our game - ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 2719

Thank you - exactly the point I was making. Every marginal seemed to go there way and no it wasn’t why we lost. Glad the majority could see it. And the fact he got away with breaking the VAR rules last week is typical of the FA. And then reffed our game - ridiculous.

Very accurate, he has had a problem with us for years. I have never seen a ref that so obviously has an issue with a team.

I am trying to think was there a critical turning point a few years back???

Do any statisticians know of all the games he has been involved in officiating the Albion?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Very accurate, he has had a problem with us for years. I have never seen a ref that so obviously has an issue with a team.

I am trying to think was there a critical turning point a few years back???

Do any statisticians know of all the games he has been involved in officiating the Albion?

Poyet’s criticism when he gave a penalty at Withdean?

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
If anyone see’s the lead up to the 4th goal, Alzate is clearly fouled right under the nose of Hooper and Sigurdssons reaction says he knows it’s a foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rinkmaster

Oct 1, 2020
Newhaven
Totally agree that this ref should be taken to task for his bias against bha. If you book a player for an offence then any other player committing the same offence should also be carded. Yellow. Yellow. Red.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If anyone see’s the lead up to the 4th goal, Alzate is clearly fouled right under the nose of Hooper and Sigurdssons reaction says he knows it’s a foul.

Must admit I didn't notice this live (I'd basically given up by then), but on seeing the replay it really was a clear foul on Alzate, and as you say, right under the nose of 'Hoops'. He hates us. He absolutely hates us.

Next time he takes charge of one of our games, I am definitely lumping on the opposition.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Maybe, what the hell did he say to him?!

Can’t recall precisely [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] may remember, but he gave a penalty when Fletcher hand balled outside the area. Think he said the arm was Elphicks but even that was questionable.

Cue inevitable Poyet outburst.

Then there was the great tackle by Calderon at The Amex again vs Bournemouth, that resulted in a penalty.

Edit - not that I’m bitter or ever forget misdemeanours against our great club..... think it was 2010!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can’t recall precisely [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] may remember, but he gave a penalty when Fletcher hand balled outside the area. Think he said the arm was Elphicks but even that was questionable.

Cue inevitable Poyet outburst.

Then there was the great tackle by Calderon at The Amex again vs Bournemouth, that resulted in a penalty.

Edit - not that I’m bitter or ever forget misdemeanours against our great club..... think it was 2010!!

Remember both.....can you see a theme emerging? Now Bournemouth are gone he’s clearly going to favour every team against the Albion :lolol:

I haven’t seen a replay but I could have sworn Alzate was fouled in the build up to the fourth goal. Not booking Digne but booking Alzate so early in the game and numerous other small incidents that always favoured Everton.

I am clearly nowhere as bitter as you :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here