Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simon Hooper- referee, cheat or just an incompetent buffoon?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Bob Taylor ‏@BobTaylor19 7m
@FA Will you be calling Simon Hooper in for a chat at the office when you see the #bhafc v #afcb match highlights ? #specsavers

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My sons mate sits in the North Stand and he is the only person who I have heard say it was a definite penalty. Apart from that decision, which I thoughjt was terrible, every time he moved he either got in the way of the players or the ball.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
My sons mate sits in the North Stand and he is the only person who I have heard say it was a definite penalty. Apart from that decision, which I thoughjt was terrible, every time he moved he either got in the way of the players or the ball.

Not being funny but your sons mate cannot have seen it or is on a windup

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Bob Taylor ‏@BobTaylor19 7m
@FA Will you be calling Simon Hooper in for a chat at the office when you see the #bhafc v #afcb match highlights ? #specsavers

Don't expect the FA to act with any more integrity or honesty than that incompetent clown did today. And I don't just mean the penalty decision- we had enough chances to win despite it- but his general failure to control the game, to act on time-wasting and to recognise foul play by both sides, together with his poor positioning, displayed an appalling level of ineptitude. The only thing that performed well was his over-inflated ego!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If we could finish, the decision would have been irrelevant.

We did. We scored. Bournemouth were never going to scored in 10 hours of play, they were utter shit.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Eddie Howe commented words to the effect of "that apart from getting the penalty decision wrong, the ref had a decent game as he normally does when he has our games" in his interview after the game.

Just got a decision wrong today, as human beings are liable to do.

Hmmmm.

I recall a similar inept performance by Simon Hooper last seasonwho has previous with Calderon, having allowed the crowd at Hillsborough to influence him in giving Calde a yellow card and almost a red.

Yet Hooper allowed Sheff Weds to get away with all sorts of crude challenges and gamesmanship. That was the match when Dave Jones and Charlie Oatway had verbals which resulted in a bundle in the dug outs. OK Ashley Barnes had one of his notorious red mists and probably deserved his red card but only after a series of really provocative challenges on him that the Ref failed to act on. Very weak Refereeing was the root cause.

Decent referee for Bournemouth, inept for Brighton?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Anyone remember that one at Withdean against BMuff? Fletcher outside the box, and the ref conspired to think it was Albion who handled inside the box?

BMuff have a knack of getting dodgy pens against us.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
He got the penalty decision BANG ON though, he flagged for a corner and not a foul. Of course the referee was too incompetent.

But then the Lino didn't have the balls to say anything to the ref and he most probably didn't want to make a different decision to the refs (his friend)
He flagged for corner then referee gave pen and he changed his mind.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Incompetent as a glaring error, and breathtaking arrogance from the referee.
We had a great view of it from the front row WSU (north end) and it was fine tackle. After the ball had been clearly diverted by the tackler towards out of play, (which in addition did not endanger his opponent), the opponent fell over the tackler. Within a micro second, the ref had awarded the penalty being 100% certain that it was a penalty. As the ball was dead, he could have taken his time to run all the circumstances back through his mind, and possibly checked with his co-officials, but he did neither. An amateur in charge of a vital professional game.

The polar opposite of the mistakes happening in the EPL at the moment where some clear goals and penalties are not being given, with officials overly concerned the other way about giving an erroneous goal/pen with one eye on making to the FIFA WC.

Don't know which is worse.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Incompetent as a glaring error, and breathtaking arrogance from the referee.
We had a great view of it from the front row WSU (north end) and it was fine tackle. After the ball had been clearly diverted by the tackler towards out of play, (which in addition did not endanger his opponent), the opponent fell over the tackler. Within a micro second, the ref had awarded the penalty being 100% certain that it was a penalty. As the ball was dead, he could have taken his time to run all the circumstances back through his mind, and possibly checked with his co-officials, but he did neither. An amateur in charge of a vital professional game.

The polar opposite of the mistakes happening in the EPL at the moment where some clear goals and penalties are not being given, with officials overly concerned the other way about giving an erroneous goal/pen with one eye on making to the FIFA WC.

Don't know which is worse.

Agree with all of this. Can not fathom as to why he did not check with the Lino, who actually gave a corner!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Anyone remember that one at Withdean against BMuff? Fletcher outside the box, and the ref conspired to think it was Albion who handled inside the box?

BMuff have a knack of getting dodgy pens against us.

Yep. We mentioned that before today's game. 2 yards outside pen box, Fletcher pushed Elphick as they both went for a high ball with seconds to go until Brighton chalked up a deserved win. Due to the push, Elphick's arm flew up higher and touched the ball. Officials gave a pen. Got home from the game which had been live on Sky, and the entire Sky team confirmed it was quite clearly outside the box.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep. We mentioned that before today's game. 2 yards outside pen box, Fletcher pushed Elphick as they both went for a high ball with seconds to go until Brighton chalked up a deserved win. Due to the push, Elphick's arm flew up higher and touched the ball. Officials gave a pen. Got home from the game which had been live on Sky, and the entire Sky team confirmed it was quite clearly outside the box.

That is an accurate description but the referee originally gave a free kick on the edge of the area. The linesman on the north side was waving frantically and then the referee gave a penalty on the linesman's say so.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
When he walked into the tunnel at the end of the game, he had the look of a man who knew he'd had a very bad day at the office!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That is an accurate description but the referee originally gave a free kick on the edge of the area. The linesman on the north side was waving frantically and then the referee gave a penalty on the linesman's say so.

The incident was about 4 years back, but I had a feeling it wasn't necessarily the refs fault, so just said 'officials'.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Curious appraisal. If Barnes had missed the chance that Leo wasted at the end of the first half, you'd have been calling for him to be hung.

Probably....but then he wouldn't have the excuse of months on the treatment table...

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Actually, he was a cheat........

Cheating on my behalf - he won me £10 cash as it was the first goal time :clap:

We assumed he had won himself a £5 club shop voucher as could think if no other possible reason for giving the pen.

I hadn't realised he was the same incompetent clown we had at Hillsborough, but now recognise his "look at me" strut. Guy's a cock.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here