Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sima

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Well, he has a bad game. He must be useless then? Or perhaps we accept he is a developing young player. Victor to Cov mark 2 anyone?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Have to say if he is poor technically he won’t make it under RDZ tho

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
It's a sport and representative football is part of that which clubs know about when they sign players. It's not like these competitions have arisen out the blue.

And yes, I do think it is right that clubs lose players for tournaments.

I'm pretty certain that players cannot officially retire from international duty. However, the reality is that it would serve no purpose to select players that have no interest in playing at international level.
As long as clubs are compensated wages and loss of earnings or the cost of transfer fees and wages to cover a like replacement it might be ok. But so far I have not seen that is the case.
The nations do not employee the player and so should have no rights to their work.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As long as clubs are compensated wages and loss of earnings or the cost of transfer fees and wages to cover a like replacement it might be ok. But so far I have not seen that is the case.
The nations do not employee the player and so should have no rights to their work.
That isn't he case. I might be wrong but I'm guessing you're American and not an ex pat. Your view of sport might be based on being used to the franchise system that, on this side of the pond, the vast majority object to.

As for your last sentence, the clubs don't own players. The accepted practice here is that if a player get's called up it's an honour. It's part of the deal that if you want success, then you need the best players and that comes with them getting called up for internationals and tournaments. Sign an African or Asian player then you know they might go to their respective national tournaments which, for those two, tend to fall within our season.

I'm guessing you won't change your view but then your view is out of kilter with the real world. Sorry.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
That isn't he case. I might be wrong but I'm guessing you're American and not an ex pat. Your view of sport might be based on being used to the franchise system that, on this side of the pond, the vast majority object to.

As for your last sentence, the clubs don't own players. The accepted practice here is that if a player get's called up it's an honour. It's part of the deal that if you want success, then you need the best players and that comes with them getting called up for internationals and tournaments. Sign an African or Asian player then you know they might go to their respective national tournaments which, for those two, tend to fall within our season.

I'm guessing you won't change your view but then your view is out of kilter with the real world. Sorry.
Hang on a minute I never said they own them. I said employ. I just don't see how a company can be forced to give it's workforce leave to, effectively, go and work for another company for a few months. I don't see why anyone would put that in a contract.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Hang on a minute I never said they own them. I said employ. I just don't see how a company can be forced to give it's workforce leave to, effectively, go and work for another company for a few months. I don't see why anyone would put that in a contract.
If Mitoma did not play for the Japan National team, Brighton would have sold a few thousand less tickets, and a shitload less merchandise this past.18 months. Alexis Mac Allister became a more desirable player to have by achieving at international level. The awareness of our club in countries where we are trying to recruit is made better and reputation enhanced by having International players, and if it looked like we were blocking players from taking part it would not help in signing the next Caicedo, Mitoma, Adingra etc. So regardless of FIFA rules, we would release players for tournaments, maybe the biggest clubs could afford to refuse, but they would lose a nation of people that might otherwise buy their shit, find it harder to recruit v clubs that would release players and probably lose current players too.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You may not see how, but that doesn't matter; in football it's simply a fact. It is how it is - clubs can be forced to release their players.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

As i said previously clubs are compensated when their players are called up to play in a tournaments finals, most of these happen in our close season but some because of where they are played have to be ran at a different time because weather conditions don't allow for football to played in our summer break.

No player is going for a couple of months. The most anyone will be away for the AFCON or Asia Cup is 6 weeks and that's only if their nation gets to the finals. Some will be back before the end of January and given the winter break may only miss 2 PL games.

As others have pointed out clubs benefit massively from exposure of having players at these tournaments/playing international football. We get huge coverage in Japan because of Mitoma, that is worth the inconvenience of losing him when the Aisa Cup takes place. Previously players like Bissouma, Mwepu and Percy Tau have seen our profile in Africa rise (although the last one of that list might not have been that positive).

For a player representing their nation is the ultimate honour and achievement in football. No club is going to stand in the way of that or they wouldn't be able to attract the right caliber of player to keep them at the level they are at for a start (not that they can as FIFA don't allow it).

This is nothing new, its a risk that all clubs are well aware of, when signing players that represent nations in those regions. The AFCON has pretty much always been played in Jan/Feb, we've had Bissouma going to that before mid-season. Mat Ryan went to the Asia Cup while playing for us too.

We allowed Alexis Mac Allister to play for Argentina in both the qualification and the finals of the Olympic Games (we didn't actually have to let him play because its an U23 tournament and FIFA alllow club to refuse call ups to the Olympics). The qualifiers delayed him returning to Brighton from Boca Jrs after we ended his loan and the Olympic Games could have clashed with the start of our season but Alexis has always spoken how grateful he was to the club for being allowed to take part in those two events as it was an honour to represent his Nation and that we took what he wanted into consideration. That's why clubs see the value of having players at international tournaments from both a commercial sense and from doing what is right for the player.

Last edited:

Jimmy Grimble

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Becasue all UK football clubs are members of an organisation called the FA and the FA is a member of UEFA and that is a member of FIFA. And if you want to be in those clubs, you agree to play by their rules. If you don't like the rules, that's OK - you don't need to be a member. But you won't be allowed to play in the Prem our Europe.

So it's not like going and working for another company. It's like going and working for your country and your employer agreeing to give you the time off.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Does that goal sum him up?

Did he intend to chest the ball straight down to his foot, turn and try and get a shot in? I suspect so.

Instead, it goes miles in the air but he then has that x-factor, quick thinking and strength to make something happen and score a goal.

The pressure will be on Rangers to cough up the readies now. Good stuff.

Edit: That number 4 defender’s reaction is hilarious as he looks around. He has no idea where the ball has gone! 😂

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Becasue all UK football clubs are members of an organisation called the FA and the FA is a member of UEFA and that is a member of FIFA. And if you want to be in those clubs, you agree to play by their rules. If you don't like the rules, that's OK - you don't need to be a member. But you won't be allowed to play in the Prem our Europe.

So it's not like going and working for another company. It's like going and working for your country and your employer agreeing to give you the time off.
Sounds like it would be a good idea for the clubs to band together and challenge that then. None of the structures work without the clubs so they have a collective strength. Plus with players and managers complaining about the number of fixtures I can't see them being against it - less games for the same wage sounds a good deal.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Sounds like it would be a good idea for the clubs to band together and challenge that then. None of the structures work without the clubs so they have a collective strength. Plus with players and managers complaining about the number of fixtures I can't see them being against it - less games for the same wage sounds a good deal.
Err. I think you don't get it at all. I won't try to explain.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Does that goal sum him up?

Did he intend to chest the ball straight down to his foot, turn and try and get a shot in? I suspect so.

Instead, it goes miles in the air but he then has that x-factor, quick thinking and strength to make something happen and score a goal.

The pressure will be on Rangers to cough up the readies now. Good stuff.

Edit: That number 4 defender’s reaction is hilarious as he looks around. He has no idea where the ball has gone! 😂
I don't think Sima knew where it had gone either - he just spotted it quicker than the defender!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here