Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Silly Season Food Arguments - Part I - Breakfasts

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It means my mistake but presumably you knew that anyway.

I love tomatoes but can take them or leave them when it comes to a fry up. Black pudding is inarguably delicious though and if you're going all out, an essential ingredient in a full English. How can anyone that has tried it not like black pudding?

Wouldn't a Full Welsh have laverbread?
Yeah I knew that about ‘bad.’ It’s banned from my classroom. Annoys me but perhaps wrong thread for that.
I love tomatoes as well. In a salad. In Summer. But fried ?
Black Pudding; we will have to agree to differ on the taste but happy to have it on my plate for the cultural experience.
I’ve not had laverbread yet but as my experience of the country is almost entirely in the Northern bit it’s rare to meet anybody who is actually Welsh.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Going back before the influence of other places, what would a transport/workmens cafe have served in say 1970 in Sussex? My guess would be:

Sausage
Bacon
Fried bread
Tomato
Fried egg

I don't think that down 'ere, it generally included:

Black pudding
Baked beans
Mushrooms
Other types of egg
Hash browns
Toast

They've all crept in since.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s all about what you like, Shirley?

My ideal is a bit of a mash up between my Gran’s Ulster Fry, yank breakfast food and traditional English;

Two poached eggs, runny yolk.
Crispy bacon
Potato cakes, colcannon, or champ.
Decent sausuages x 2
Black pudding
Pot of tea
Toast

Honestly though, I’m happy with a plate of bacon and eggs.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I've nothing against hash browns, but they are a modern addition. When I was kid, my mum would, instead, shallow fry sliced new potatoes. I always missed them when eating breakfasts in cafes/hotels and found that they weren't a staple.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I know it's not a full English but the Market Diner Gutbuster is the closest thing to fried breakfast perfection for me.

Eggs, bacon, fried bread, sausages, burger, black pudding, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes (not for me though) and chips. All with the best cup of tea you'll ever have in your life and I think still under a tenner.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Going back before the influence of other places, what would a transport/workmens cafe have served in say 1970 in Sussex? My guess would be:

Sausage
Bacon
Fried bread
Tomato
Fried egg

I don't think that down 'ere, it generally included:

Black pudding
Mushrooms
Other types of egg
Hash browns
Toast

They've all crept in since.
My Mum in the 1970s did all in bold + fried potatoes and bubble and squeak. I don’t think I’ve had fried bread since I was a kid. Wouldn’t be allowed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You can stil get a very traditional fry up at The Rainbow cafe in Lancing.

As long as you’re not after locally sourced produce or anything fancy.

And you don’t mind sitting amongst some of Britain’s ugliest people.

And don’t go in on a Friday morning.

Just. Don’t.

However, it’s reasonably priced, the owners and staff are really nice people and it’s quick service.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They obviously did!! Coffee up to 2pm for me. Tea then till 6pm . Post dinner expresso.
I’m a big advocate of everyone enjoying what they enjoy without criticism. There’s no room for dogma when it comes to food.

However, for me, you can’t beat a big mug of tea with brekkie.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Since I obviously have very different habits (big, savoury breakfast is the complete opposite of what we have here in the morning), do you guys eat this type of breakfast every day or is it just for Sundays/festive days?

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Was were the hot food alternatives (if any?) assuming the word smashed was involved
Tom Foolery where we went first did lots of different plates but nothing that resembled a full E. The cafe that used to be Toast did an English burrito 🤷🏻‍♂️. I don’t get out much and had been looking forward to a full E all week before looking for an 18th birthday present for my daughter. An expensive morning all round 😢

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Since I obviously have very different habits (big, savoury breakfast is the complete opposite of what we have here in the morning), do you guys eat this type of breakfast every day or is it just for Sundays/festive days?
Once every couple of months for me. Usually before we head out for a good long hike. It’s a tradition for me and my mate.

My daily breakfast is quite different;

Bran flakes
Protein shake
Bowl of fruit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Full English is disappearing from Shoreham. Don’t get me started on the decline of Shoreham. Most cafes are now crammed with yoga mums sipping various coffees and herbal infusions.

The Goerge up by Holmbush does a good all you can eat breakfast buffet with bottomless mug for about £8.

Last edited:

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Two cafes in Shoreham yesterday did not have English breakfasts on their menus anymore! The third one we went into, two English breakfasts and 2 flat whites came to £29.60 !
£12.00 a breakfast & £2.80 a coffee sounds pretty standard to me. I’m more than happy to pay that if it’s good quality, fresh ingredients. Quite easily pay that up here in Cheshire, but the food is usually fantastic. Wetherspoons is always available if you want cheap, but I’d far rather put into a local business who buys local produce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here