Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sick pay

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
I have been self employed for ages but recently went to work for a security firm
doing nights. Anyway the deal is 4 weeks paid leave and three weeks sick leave.
The guy who works with me considers the three weeks sick leave as part of his holiday.

Is this the norm now days?

I have been self employed for ages but recently went to work for a security firm
The guy who works with me considers the three weeks sick leave as part of his holiday.

A company my mate worked for used to do this until their HR dept realised that people asking for how much sick leave they had left were using it as holiday. It was removed very soon after and now paid at Director/Line manager discretion.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
It depends what industry you're in, I guess. We have six months sick leave I think, then discretionary after that. If it were the norm the building would be empty.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

The guy who works with you doesn't sound like the sort of chap I'd like to work with tbh, people that abuse sick pay cost companies fortunes with that attitude and leave colleagues to do the extra work they can't be bothered to turn up for.

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
It depends what industry you're in, I guess. We have six months sick leave I think, then discretionary after that. If it were the norm the building would be empty.

I bet you will find somebody is "swinging the lead."

If it became the norm, it would take the company I work for down.

But who is the mug me or the bloke having the extra three weeks on the beach?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I get 6 months on full pay then 6 months on 1/2 pay but even then is some circumstances that can be on full pay (for example someone is currently off with cancer as been for 8 months and is still getting full pay). We used to have a group of people who were off work more than they were in. Took our HR department ages to get rid of them, they had to go through so many hoops to avoid the risk of a tribunal.

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Exactly. You can't sack someone for being sick. If they carry out the rest of the job proficiently it is impossible to get rid of them.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Exactly. You can't sack someone for being sick. If they carry out the rest of the job proficiently it is impossible to get rid of them.

I have. Took ages, but because of the amount of time he was off sick, he wasn't able to do the job.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I bet you will find somebody is "swinging the lead."

If it became the norm, it would take the company I work for down.

But who is the mug me or the bloke having the extra three weeks on the beach?

Sure, there will be the odd one or two, I'm sure. But it's not the norm, which was the original question.

You can. I've seen people dismissed for poor attendance.

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Sure, there will be the odd one or two, I'm sure. But it's not the norm, which was the original question.

You can. I've seen people dismissed for poor attendance.

Good. I worked with a guy many years ago who played the system. We were
doing shifts 4 on 4 off. Sometimes, with a bit of holiday, a bit of sick, would go missing for weeks. Nice sun tan though.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
should think himself lucky all i get is ssp since i have been off my wage has gone from 1500 a month to 375 so all my savings gone coz i been ill

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Hows it going soldier. You up on your feet yet?

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
yeah am up and walking about now further each day first round of physio at hospital is next tuesday

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
But that's not true is it. Ive dismissed people for poor attendance records many times

It may depend where you work, but all the companies I've worked for, if they have an issue with your sick leave, before the can get rid of you, they have to monitor you, give you warnings etc, make you prove it, or possibly send you to one of the companies doctors. It's certainly harder now that it used to be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here