Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should we start paying our best players better salaries in order to compete with the best?

Should we offer our top players more competitive salaries to compete with the best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
Hasn’t Barber recently said publicly that they won’t do that due to the snowball effect. Pay one, next one asks and so forth.
certainly not in our interests to overpay anyone. Especially when we can command a £50m+ fee for almost most of our squad at the moment.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Are we not in genuine contention for Europe at the moment chaps?

...at what point should we try to push on to the next level?
We have been continuously trying to push onto the next level and the level after that and so on and so on throughout the 21st century, never more successfully than the last few years :shrug:

It might make it 25% more likely that we could prevent them leaving for bigger clubs.

And what do you think has been happening to our salary costs since we have been in the Premier League ???

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It might make it 25% more likely that we could prevent them leaving for bigger clubs.
The players that have left us are getting 100%+ pay rises, we can’t compete.

If we were losing players to teams around us I’d agree - but we are selling to Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs etc …

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Is this the Friday drinking thread?
Do you mind?

Interest rates up, inflation through the roof, jobs being shed in massive numbers, but thanks to the return of Mustafa and his posts we mods are now rolling in it. The bonus scheme has never looked so good. I'm not taking that BMW M5 back to the showroom again.

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014
There have been plenty of reports of players for the toxic 6 being on similar or less than many of ours, yes any outstanding and highly valuable players should be paid towards the top end of our scales but lets be honest here 3 or 4 of our outstanding players have come in untried in this league on 3 and 4 year deals, now if they'd failed to impress like Tau or Jurgen with a 3 or 4 year deal and we are unable to offload and end up loaning out but still have to cover anywhere between 50 and 75% of their wages it wouldn't take too many or too long before we'd have to reduce squad size, request Tony to make up the shortfall and potentially find ourselves in the situation that started the downfall of the club in the 90's.
We seem to update deals and give appropriate rises as and when deserved and yes with some they then extend the contract, I think the club treats the players fairly and helps promote them and their talents which means other teams are always going to be sniffing around and waving wads of cash under the nose of the agents while also tempting the player with promises of higher wages and better opportunities of winning medals.

Stick with what we've got and has proven to work for us for the past 5 years

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Shouldn't this read:

Should Tony Bloom start paying our best players better salaries in order to compete with the best?​

The answer is, of course, no. It's only the 'big 6/7' who we can't properly compete with and to get level the club would have to be financially reckless and Tony would need to look down the back of the sofa.

I'd hate for the club to pretend we are something we aint.

The long term aim is to be a sustainable top ten team. They have done rather well so far. These large yearly transfers helping. It would be quite an achievement if the club return a set of accounts showing a surplus and I'd be prouder of that than the club buying a trophy.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The votes for paying ‘competitive’ wages are basically asking Tony to match the spending of petro states and American billionaires. Why should he do that ? People need to get their heads round the fact that we will be relegated again at some point and they should lower their expectations.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Should we start paying our best players better salaries in order to compete with the best?​

I can't see any issues with paying our players the same as the best like City, Liverpool, Real, PSG, United, Bayern, Newcastle etc pay theirs :dunce:

No issues, none whatsoever, shirley doing this simply means that glory awaits :lolol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think some people need to chill out a bit! It wasn't long ago that Potter had gone and fans thought we were heading for the championship. Now, apparently, we're half way through a season and have almost got a European place!

The club's business model is literally what's happening with Caicedo - apart from the eventual sale at a massive profit. Keep doing that and average wages can go up organically, without having to force the issue and put undue financial pressure on the club.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I’m always happy to spend other people’s money so voted yes.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Shouldn't this read:

Should Tony Bloom start paying our best players better salaries in order to compete with the best?​

The answer is, of course, no. It's only the 'big 6/7' who we can't properly compete with and to get level the club would have to be financially reckless and Tony would need to look down the back of the sofa.

I'd hate for the club to pretend we are something we aint.

The long term aim is to be a sustainable top ten team. They have done rather well so far. These large yearly transfers helping. It would be quite an achievement if the club return a set of accounts showing a surplus and I'd be prouder of that than the club buying a trophy.

Would RDZ agree with that?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here