Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we really be upsett if Dunk leaves?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
When Dallison joined the Albion in 2013 the club (Burke) said that if he meets his targets he has every chance to play in the first team. The lad was apparently being chased by a host of Prem and Champ clubs and we got him. TB has invested £60 odd million in Lancing, and for the whole model of the club to work - we have to start introducing academy players into the first team. Dunk (unless he really wants to go because he's being offered silly money) really shouldn't go to Fulham, but if he does then we must look at Dallison or Rea replacing him. GG can play the older statesmen and bark at them when he's caught for pace.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
We will always be a selling club.

Dunk as a homegrown English CB should/could easily command a fee that is appropriate for his standing. £5m plus add ons seems appropriate but I just don't think we should accept that from a Championship club. There is a reason Ipswich think that represents good value for money having lost their own version to Bournemouth for £8m (Tyrone Mings) and that reason is that they think there's value in paying £5m for him.

Surely his ambition can be matched by the Albion rather than either of Dulham or Ipswich?

Edited for accuracy. All teams bar Chelsea, United and City are selling clubs, even arguably they are too once Real or Barca come calling.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Hugely over rated by many on here. If he goes for £5m we have absolutly robbed them.

He made far too many mistakes last year resulting in a lot of weak goals against us, and for some reason everyone was quick to point the finger at Greer.

I think we could replace him with two central defenders, be stronger for it, and still be in pocket. I'd be looking a Curtis Nelson (Plymouth Captain) for a start.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm okay with him being sold as long as he's replaced with another solid mid twenties centre back and we also get in an older replacement back up similar to Hughes, so that Rea gets the chance to progress.

The trouble is given we are still looking for two wingers I have my doubts that the Club are able to do that so it might be best if we hold on to him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd do everything I can to get him to give us one more season. We're a bit light at the back right now, remains to be seen if Rea is ready. No guarantees we'd get someone in who could just slot into the side. Need a bit of stability and continuity in the squad right now. I'd tell him that if he works hard and plays well over the next season, he is more likely to get a decent PL deal, rather than another Championship one.

There is a reason he's being looked at, because he does show a lot of class, and despite a few youthful mistakes, he is turning into a superb centre half. Need to try to keep him.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Don't be silly now. Do you remember when we brought in a better replacement for Ulloa with his £8m?

I think/hope CH has someone lined up to replace dunk ....................but I hope he does not go at all

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Dunk is the only CB we have with any pace.

He also finished top scorer and chipped in with vital goals last season,

He will only get better with age and his minor faults will be ironed out.

Paint it however you like - and I don't give a s**t about the money - losing Dunk now could be a season killer.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
If and only IF Dunk has to be sold. BHAFC know they can sell Dunk for 5 million or so, so go out and spend that money first on players, wingers a CB etc, then Sell Dunk. Firstly if you do the business before you sell Dunk, then other clubs don't know you have 5m to spend and also you already have your replacements. Instead of selling and then all other clubs jack up the prices of potential targets and also know you only have a limited time to replace the Dunk and get more signings in.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Hugely over rated by many on here. If he goes for £5m we have absolutly robbed them.

He made far too many mistakes last year resulting in a lot of weak goals against us, and for some reason everyone was quick to point the finger at Greer.

I think we could replace him with two central defenders, be stronger for it, and still be in pocket. I'd be looking a Curtis Nelson (Plymouth Captain) for a start.

I disagree that he is hugely overated, but your call for Curtis Nelson is a good one. I would be chasing him now regardless of Dunk situation as cover/competition as I think he can be a very good player in the future.

Dunk we should hold out for the £5m and only to a PL club but if it comes then, he should go with our blessing. If we want to attract up and coming players they need to know we will let them go if we get the right offer. Incremental gains is the way forward at this point without parachute payments...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'd do everything I can to get him to give us one more season. We're a bit light at the back right now, remains to be seen if Rea is ready. No guarantees we'd get someone in who could just slot into the side. Need a bit of stability and continuity in the squad right now. I'd tell him that if he works hard and plays well over the next season, he is more likely to get a decent PL deal, rather than another Championship one.

There is a reason he's being looked at, because he does show a lot of class, and despite a few youthful mistakes, he is turning into a superb centre half. Need to try to keep him.

I agree with every word of this.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
£5-8 million Premier League or out of the country fine no problem with that.
However myself I would be absolutely fuming if we sold him to a rival in our division.
That would show total lack of ambition on our part and hand our rivals points too.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
£5-8 million Premier League or out of the country fine no problem with that.
However myself I would be absolutely fuming if we sold him to a rival in our division.
That would show total lack of ambition on our part and hand our rivals points too.

Spot on. It did seem that was the club's stance although I'm not so sure after the forum last night.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
"Albion chairman Tony Bloom has told fans there are no guarantees Lewis Dunk will stay."
So the same situation as before the forum.

He could well go, but he won't be going to Fulham either this week or next week.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
"Albion chairman Tony Bloom has told fans there are no guarantees Lewis Dunk will stay."

Thats Tony Bloom speak for he has already been sold then

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Thats Tony Bloom speak for he has already been sold then

Except he didn't say that , thats the rather overexcited Argus sub/headline.He actually said this...which is a lot more nuanced and pretty much what he would say about any player attracting interest which if they are any good they will be....

"It's not unusual for there to be interest in any club's best players and as we all know Lewis was superb last season.
"We want Lewis to stay for a long time, but it would be ridiculous for me to say that a player is never for sale.
There's always a price for any player."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here