Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we be talking to Argentina about the Falklands?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
This, the oil and its strategic location.

I see their PM wants to talk to Cameron about it, but I'm not sure what there is to discuss? Their economy is f***ed and they're trying to avert attention.

Carry on as usual I say.

Well said sir

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Absolutely in my opinion.

Why would we refuse to talk to them?

We cannot continue to bear the costs of maintaining our military presence on a bunch of rocks 8000 miles away in the South Atlantic, so we may as well start talking to the Argies and agreeing a workable solution.

The Argies are not cannibals. They are unlikely to put the Falkland Islanders in pots, boil them, and then eat them. What's the worst that could happen if some kind of joint sovereignity was agreed?

Jaw, jaw; not war, war.

I think we should talk to them...

Us: Hi Argies, what do you want to talk about?

Them: The Falklands

Us: Oh yes. That was a bit of a show wasnt it. Really tore you apart didnt we. Thats what happens when you let militaries run your country. Now we get to keep all that lovely oil!

Them: But its ours!

Us: Says who? Certainly not your military because they are all a bunch of poofs. You didnt get anywhere trying to look Italian, having long greasy hair and eating lots of garlic and expect to beat us did you? This is not football, you know! You know what we say about Italians? Liliy-livered surrender monkeys with only reverse drive on their tanks. Just like you in the Falklands really. Why dont you go back to Tangoing or we really will Tango you!!

Them: You are not listening!

Us: Why should we, you ponces? We're bigger than you so just shut your mouths and concentrate on breeding cows for us to eat. We'll look after the sheep... oh, and the oil [sticks out tongue] nah nah nah nah nah!

Alternatively, we could behave like adults.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I fail to understand why we should talk to a country who invaded and started a war ? I guess Germany might be wanting discussions with France soon about getting back the parts they managed to invade in WW2 ?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Negotiating isn't the same as just giving the islands up. We should definitely be talking about how to enable the islanders to stay British as they wish, while potentially negotiating over the oil etc.

Why ?? It's ours , why would you want to negotitiate giving away something that is valuable and owned by us ? I dont understand the reasoning behind it .

We do not need to talk to Argentina about the Falklands. Argentina need to be talking and listening to the Islanders themselves...it is their decision and no one elses.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think we should talk to them...

Us: Hi Argies, what do you want to talk about?

Them: The Falklands

Us: Oh yes. That was a bit of a show wasnt it. Really tore you apart didnt we. Thats what happens when you let militaries run your country. Now we get to keep all that lovely oil!

Them: But its ours!

Us: Says who? Certainly not your military because they are all a bunch of poofs. You didnt get anywhere trying to look Italian, having long greasy hair and eating lots of garlic and expect to beat us did you? This is not football, you know! You know what we say about Italians? Liliy-livered surrender monkeys with only reverse drive on their tanks. Just like you in the Falklands really. Why dont you go back to Tangoing or we really will Tango you!!

Them: You are not listening!

Us: Why should we, you ponces? We're bigger than you so just shut your mouths and concentrate on breeding cows for us to eat. We'll look after the sheep... oh, and the oil [sticks out tongue] nah nah nah nah nah!

Alternatively, we could behave like adults.
Presumably sully you class " behaving like adults " as negotiating the handover or joint soveriegnty of islands that have been ours since 1830, have never been owned by the argentinians and are populated by islanders who steadfastly maintain they want to stay british , i'd call that stupidity .

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Talks opened

Johnny British: "Hello Mr Argy what's your beef? Geddit? Beef? Chortle, chortle..."
Mr Argy: "Can we have the Malvinas back please?"
Johnny British: "No f*** off, next question?"

Talks closed

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Presumably sully you class " behaving like adults " as negotiating the handover or joint soveriegnty of islands that have been ours since 1830, have never been owned by the argentinians and are populated by islanders who steadfastly maintain they want to stay british , i'd call that stupidity .

I advocate nothing of the sort... the question is 'should we talk' and the answer is 'yes'. Should we hand anything over is a completely different question and not one I would fully subscribe to. My entry was predicting the type of response our good friend Mr London Blue supplied us with... the difference between mine and his being that mine is ironic.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I advocate nothing of the sort... the question is 'should we talk' and the answer is 'yes'. Should we hand anything over is a completely different question and not one I would fully subscribe to. My entry was predicting the type of response our good friend Mr London Blue supplied us with... the difference between mine and his being that mine is ironic.
My contention is that there is nothing to talk about , its ours, the people who live there want it to stay ours , end of discussion.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

And mine is succinct and to the point.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

....and your irony was laid on so thickly that only the thickest of the thick could fail to realise. Surely nobody could be that thick. Oh, wait a minute!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
....and your irony was laid on so thickly that only the thickest of the thick could fail to realise. Surely nobody could be that thick. Oh, wait a minute!
Perhaps the thickest of the thick are the people who failed to spot that I only commented on his assertion that " Alternatively, we could behave like adults. " , rather than the " ironic " part of his post.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
My contention is that there is nothing to talk about , its ours, the people who live there want it to stay ours , end of discussion.

No... thats jusy bully boy inthe playground behaviour. We agree to talk but if soverienty comes up we say that is non-negotiable. We open up avenues for discussion that may result in something beneficial for both countries while not forgetting our respect for the wishes of the people living there and the future of the islands. Thats responsible behaviour. Anything else is just childish.

It is quite common in diplomacy to start with your maximum demands and end with something much smaller, say the right of any Argentinian families with proven connection to the Falklands having the right to buy land in return for the abnadoning of soveriegnty demands by Argentina (this is just an example).

Kempo

Nov 3, 2012
No, purely because of the hundreds of men that gave their lives defending it and the hundreds more that subsequently died due to PTSD. The Argentine president will keep banging on about this until they get rid of her. Soon hopefully.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its really up to the people of the islands and they dont want to be ruled by Argentina. Its quite hypocritical that Fernandez is playing up on "colonialism" when her nation was built as a spanish colony, she wants to replace our colonialism with theirs. history (well the wiki page version) tells us that they had attempted to run a penal colony there, suffered a mutiny and left when a British expedition asked them to the next year. hardly displacing "settlers" as she is claiming today.

eventually, the Falklanders will realise the best path forward is to declare independence, ending the Argentinian claims for good.

Last edited:

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
I fail to understand why we should talk to a country who invaded and started a war ? I guess Germany might be wanting discussions with France soon about getting back the parts they managed to invade in WW2 ?

Why ?? It's ours , why would you want to negotitiate giving away something that is valuable and owned by us ? I dont understand the reasoning behind it .

Define 'ours'. If China invaded the Scilly Isles tomorrow, kicked off the islanders and put lots of Chinese on there, how long before we gave up and said 'okay I guess they belong to China now'? Five years? 180 years? This is why negotiation is appropriate.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Define 'ours'. If China invaded the Scilly Isles tomorrow, kicked off the islanders and put lots of Chinese on there, how long before we gave up and said 'okay I guess they belong to China now'? Five years? 180 years? This is why negotiation is appropriate.
The difference is that the Falklands were uninhabited when the British rocked up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here