Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we be talking to Argentina about the Falklands?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Vile paper.
I have to say, who the f*** do they think they are? It's one thing for a head of state to be writing provocative open letters, but quite another for a "newspaper" to be doing the same. I have MPs to speak on my behalf, not a shit profit making rag.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
The islands had been completely uninhabited for more than 3 years when the Brits arrived. The Spanish had left.

We didn't forcibly take it. There was nobody there to take it from. We settled an uninhabited island that was claimed by nobody.

You may well be right, but the Argentinians clearly disagree. I don't know what the evidence is for either position, but it would be odd for them to claim something that could be easily disproved. I expect the history is murky, as is usually the case.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I have to say, who the f*** do they think they are? It's one thing for a head of state to be writing provocative open letters, but quite another for a "newspaper" to be doing the same. I have MPs to speak on my behalf, not a shit profit making rag.

Maybe true, but probably more people buy The Sun each day than bothered to vote for our elected politicians.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You're absolutely correct, the nuclear hunter killer submarine permanently on patrol, the fighter aircraft based there, the modern airfield ensuring rapid reinforcement capability and infantry presence would ensure they wouldn't get anywhere near the islands this time, as I said , we hold all the aces.

Hmmm. I admit we're better prepared than 1982, but I don't think we could hold them indefinitely. Firstly from the military perspective there's the logistical re-supply problems, the length of the supply chain and the fact the war would be very much an 'away' fixture. Secondly, even if we were initially winning, there will be the political pressure to reach a compromise, even from our 'friends' such as the USA. (And I'm sure you've seen the released cabinet papers that showed that even with a pro-British president such as Reagan the Yanks wanted to tell the Argies our plans). I'm not saying it could be another Suez - but it could be another Suez!

I'd really rather not get to that stage.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd say the real risk of not coming to some sort of agreement with Argentina is being frozen out of a future fairly powerful South American trading bloc.

This isn't a risk all the while we're in the EU - I doubt the EU would allow the South Americans to cherry pick which EU member states they do business with. However, more and more people in this country are concluding we don't benefit sufficiently from the EU, so if we were to leave and become independent, it would be far easier for the South Americans to boycott UK products, much as the US does with Cuba.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Hmmm. I admit we're better prepared than 1982, but I don't think we could hold them indefinitely. Firstly from the military perspective there's the logistical re-supply problems, the length of the supply chain and the fact the war would be very much an 'away' fixture. Secondly, even if we were initially winning, there will be the political pressure to reach a compromise, even from our 'friends' such as the USA. (And I'm sure you've seen the released cabinet papers that showed that even with a pro-British president such as Reagan the Yanks wanted to tell the Argies our plans). I'm not saying it could be another Suez - but it could be another Suez!

You seem to imply that you wish to re-negotiate something/anything, due Argentinians threat of military action.

Surely if this is your fear then talking and showing ( in their eyes ) a sign of weakness will only prompt any likely action.

Your position is the exact reason we should stand steadfast against their posturing.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

It wont get to that stage, the Argies still have a very limited offensive capacity, they are good at supressing civilian internal unrest, our stand-off capability will render their airfield and Naval bases to rubble before we even get to the questions about resupply logistics etc..... we dont have the aircraft carriers, but we have massive air to air refuelling capability, and plenty of long range missile technology that we didnt have in the 80's. Believe me, we have a very decent capability through the Asencion Island base to keep the ordanance heading in the direction of the Gouchos.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You seem to imply that you wish to re-negotiate something/anything, due Argentinians threat of military action.

Surely if this is your fear then talking and showing ( in their eyes ) a sign of weakness will only prompt any likely action.

Your position is the exact reason we should stand steadfast against their posturing.
No, I'm not implying that at all.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
well from what i can make out after decyphering his cryptic post, i think he's trying to infer that you are a bit obsessed with whether certain newspapers are "good" or "bad".

Thank you Bushy what would i do without your balanced investigative brain!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Er, no. The Sun's average daily circulation is 2.5m, the last GE had a 65% turnout of nearly 30m people.

It was a little tongue in cheek, but you could carry the Suns 2.5 million daily circulation and tear through many of the statistics for elected politicians and parties.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I'd say the real risk of not coming to some sort of agreement with Argentina is being frozen out of a future fairly powerful South American trading bloc.

This isn't a risk all the while we're in the EU - I doubt the EU would allow the South Americans to cherry pick which EU member states they do business with. However, more and more people in this country are concluding we don't benefit sufficiently from the EU, so if we were to leave and become independent, it would be far easier for the South Americans to boycott UK products, much as the US does with Cuba.
This is certainly important, but we are a net importer of goods from Brazil, they wouldnt cut off their nose to spite the proverbial,... same goes for Argentina to be honest, and their economy is shot to pieces.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It wont get to that stage, the Argies still have a very limited offensive capacity, they are good at supressing civilian internal unrest, our stand-off capability will render their airfield and Naval bases to rubble before we even get to the questions about resupply logistics etc..... we dont have the aircraft carriers, but we have massive air to air refuelling capability, and plenty of long range missile technology that we didnt have in the 80's. Believe me, we have a very decent capability through the Asencion Island base to keep the ordanance heading in the direction of the Gouchos.
You've ignored the second part of my post. The rest of the world is hardly likely to stand by a watch us splatter the Argies - again. At the very least they'll insist we talk.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

The only people that matter trade wise in south america are the brazilians , and whilst they pay lip service to support for argentinas claim to the falklands, their relationship is akin to ours with the french, they really dont like each other and certainly wouldnt put themselves out significantly for the argies benefit.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
You've ignored the second part of my post. The rest of the world is hardly likely to stand by a watch us splatter the Argies - again. At the very least they'll insist we talk.
Yes because international pressure has worked so well in syria, iran , israel etc hasnt it ?

PS dont take this personally, its just that i am totally at odds with your position.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here