Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should voluntary euthanasia be legalised?

Should voluntary euthanasia be legalised?

• Total voters

I read the word selfish on here everytime the trains are screwed because of a jumper, selfish to not take into account family and friends, and heaven forbid the commuters.

I firmly believe to deny someone the right to die, with dignity, is the more selfish act.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
The current system works.

Due to the high rate of depression amongst the elderly (and those that have had frustrations due to physical limitations put upon them) i think it would be a bad idea to 'allow' euthanasia. Some people will inevitably feel pressure imagined or otherwise to end themselves.

The current system works, just do it and break the law. I think i'm right in saying that no one has been punished of the crime of helping people end their lives.

This should in my opinion not become routine to the point that some people feel pressure to do so - which inevitably it would - we should err on the side of preserving life. In exceptional circumstances people can end their lives and the law can judge, as it has so far on the matter.

It seems preferable that a few should go through the pain of the law not fitting them, than many vulnerable elderly people go through the euthanasia conversation with resentful children.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why? It's not you that I'm asking to take them!

My ex husband's family had a suicide. It is not pleasant to deal with on a psychological basis even when you know the person wanted to go. It affects the whole family.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I don't think I could handle being in Stephen Hawkins state, but I'm sure he wouldn't opt for euthanasia. He is treated like a God and still has a purpose though.
Is he suffering so badly, that he doesn't want to be here now?

I don't think so, and he continuously puts out scientific papers in recent years, without pity for his condition.

Incidentally, he is amazing to have lived as long as he has with motor neurone disease, as most people don't live more than 2 years with that condition.

I would say he is an example for no change on the laws for euthanasia.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My ex husband's family had a suicide. It is not pleasant to deal with on a psychological basis even when you know the person wanted to go. It affects the whole family.

Not suicide; voluntary euthanasia. In that situation I'm dying anyway, and soon, and painfully - in those circumstances I'd like to go at a time of my own choosing, with the knowledge of my family.

Interesting that it's starting to happen by the back door, so to speak. Better to formally set out the terms and conditions and safeguards, I think.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ide-cases-since-CPS-guidelines-published.html

Palliative care I'm sure has improved, and will doubtless continue to do so, but the medical profession are not qualified to tell a terminally ill patient what their quality of life is - it is 100% a subjective judgement.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I don't think so, and he continuously puts out scientific papers in recent years, without pity for his condition.

Incidentally, he is amazing to have lived as long as he has with motor neurone disease, as most people don't live more than 2 years with that condition.

Yes, it certainly appears that he wants to carry on living - and he seems to be doing a damn good job of it, and good luck to him! Why do the people opposed to changing the law seem to so easily forget the significance of the word VOLUNTARY?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Yes from me. Nothing worse than having someone beg you to end there life due to unbearable pain. Sadly too much money involved. The giant pharmaceuticals would probably put up a fight

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

No he seems fine but he also has a lot of support in his environment. He is the person every student wants to meet and he has lots of banter, innuendo and one liners at a twitch of an eye. Yes remarkable that he has reached 75 and is still going strong.

Christopher Reed never adapted to a life incapacitated and it was only hope for a cure and a supporting wife that kept him going. Maybe in this day and age as bio science advances it can give people hope to carry on.

There are so many scenarios of people coping and not coping. Eddie Kidd has been strong with what happened to him, but Robin William couldn’t face his future illness.

The law is probably left best as it is and we know that people are helped to die whether with a DNR, withdrawing fluid or giving them more morphine.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Should make it law that travellers have the injection at birth and for the adults asap . imho

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes, it should be legal. it kind of is in a way in the UK already. When say a cancer patient is terminal and in pain I strongly suspect the nurses will up the dose of painkillers until their heart stops. I've seen it done a few times and I'm certain that was what happened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here