Should this rule be changed

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
BBC Sport - Wycombe 1-2 Sheffield Wed

Your 15, your starting your first game at home and you score a nice goal, its probably the biggest moment of ya career so you want to celebrate with your family, but you get booked for doing so.

I really dislike this rule. :moo:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
BBC Sport - Wycombe 1-2 Sheffield Wed

Your 15, your starting your first game at home and you score a nice goal, its probably the biggest moment of ya career so you want to celebrate with your family, but you get booked for doing so.

I really dislike this rule. :moo:

I seem to remember Dean Cox getting sent off on his debut for the same thing, second yellow.

Actually, I may have that wrong. :blush: See edit below!!

OK, just looked it up!

Revell scored on his debut at Rotherham, Cox was making his full match debut. Revell scored, him and Cox 'over celebrated'. Both got booked. Cox then committed a foul right on half time for which he received a second yellow and then got sent off!

Last edited:

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
in my opinion:
incitement of the crowd - yellow
celebrating within reason - not a yellow

it does amaze me that everyone knows you get a yellow for taking your shirt off, but people still do it.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
in my opinion:
incitement of the crowd - yellow
celebrating within reason - not a yellow

it does amaze me that everyone knows you get a yellow for taking your shirt off, but people still do it.

This. I can never understand "bright" footballers getting these needless bookings. Some of them must get serious bollockings from their managers afterwards, especially if it leads to a suspension!

This. I can never understand "bright" footballers getting these needless bookings. Some of them must get serious bollockings from their managers afterwards, especially if it leads to a suspension!

Are you allowed to use "bright" and "footballer" in the same sentence?

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Just more sanitising of the game imo. What does it matter if a player pulls off his top after scoring? Ballottei was booked last week just for pulling his shirt up. This boy was doing nothing more than celebrating, after the best moment of his career so far.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are you allowed to use "bright" and "footballer" in the same sentence?

Certainly not especially it includes 'Mark'.
I think there is a world of difference between winding up opposition fans and celebrating a goal. It seems one of the sillier rules and very much open to different interpretations by refs.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I don't see whats wrong in over celebrating. It adds to
the atmosphere. If some knuckle dragging goons are going to take exeption doesn't that make them look a tad stupid. I would have quite happily accepted Glenn Murray doing a lap at the amex given our fans the wanker sign fo rthe treatment he got from them and if soem morons take exception and kick off then ban them for life. It's only a game the fans do it to each other so why shouldn't the players?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Just more sanitising of the game imo. What does it matter if a player pulls off his top after scoring? Ballottei was booked last week just for pulling his shirt up. This boy was doing nothing more than celebrating, after the best moment of his career so far.

Characters are being stamped out of the game, the sanitization of football is so ridiculous, taking their shirts off is not even on the radar when it comes to players bringing the game into disrepute. Thank god for Balotelli, Casannno, Zlatan even Joey Barton et al bringing a little bit of personality to the game.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
I think it was some of the religious beliefs some were stating on there shirts after they scored that was with the issue with taking there shirts off.

Celebrating with your fans i really dont see an issue with at all.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Balotelli stands in the middle of the pitch and lifts his shirt over his head- Booked

Nolan runs down down 2 sides of opposition fans, pointing to his name and generally being a knob- Nothing.

No logic whatsoever.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The FA don't want players to celebrate or fans to make any noise. Perhaps we should join together and do a protest one week?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Balotelli stands in the middle of the pitch and lifts his shirt over his head- Booked

Nolan runs down down 2 sides of opposition fans, pointing to his name and generally being a knob- Nothing.

No logic whatsoever.
This!

If I was president of fifa this would be the first rule I changed.

You should get booked for celebrating in front of the opposing side's fans, not your own.

Second rule I would change would be having to leave the pitch if you get injured. I know it was brought in to penalize the divers and fakers but it doesn't work.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Being 15 doesn't excuse you from following the laws of the game, neither does being a débutante, the game being a cup final, or whatever. People ask for consistency, then demand the laws not always be applied depending on the situation, then act like being a good ref should be easy despite this.

This is the rule:

Celebration of a goal

While it is permissible for a player to demonstrate his joy when a goal has been scored, the celebration must not be excessive

Reasonable celebrations are allowed, but the practice of choreographed celebrations is not to be encouraged when it results in excessive time-wasting and referees are instructed to intervene in such cases.

A player must be cautioned if:
  • in the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative, derisory or inflammatory
  • he climbs on to a perimeter fence to celebrate a goal being scored
  • he removes his shirt or covers his head with his shirt
  • he covers his head or face with a mask or other similar item

Leaving the field of play to celebrate a goal is not a cautionable offence in itself but it is essential that players return to the field of play as soon as possible.

Referees are expected to act in a preventative manner and to exercise common sense in dealing with the celebration of a goal.

It already is mostly up to the ref's judgement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports