Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the Norman Bettison book be banned?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Personally I can't stand the bloke. I have no doubt he lied through his teeth about the fans at Hillsborough, participated in or even led the cover-up from the police, took no responsibility for the victims, failed to take on board the horrific effect on the lives of the families, showed no remorse from the police point of view as to what happened, and was imbued with a culture that prevailed among police at the time, that if they stuck together and lied they could get away with anything.

The fact he is publishing his own account of Hillsborough from the police perspective has understandably provoked fury on Merseyside especially, and it can reasonably be expected to contain spin, excuses and justifications that don't hold any water.

But should the book actually be banned, as Waterstone's in Liverpool have done? Offensive as it certainly will be, is there a free speech consideration in there somewhere?

I don't think it should be absolutely banned, i.e. by the government, but if an individual business decides to not stock it what's the issue?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I understand why you can't deal with the foreign policy point sensibly.

I mention Labour's problem with anti-Semitism and you're the one who seems to want to dismiss it as merely a problem of semantics when criticising Israeli policy. My response to you are actual examples (and there have been many and by a lot of people) of clear-cut anti-Semitism from Labour councillors, MPs and activists. Absolutely nothing to do with Zionism nor with legitimate criticism of Israel and everything to do with good old-fashioned Jew-hating.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It seems you are now branded anti-semitic if you dare to question any aspect of Israel's foreign policy. Not quite what the phrase originally meant, it has to be said.

No, if you confine yourself to criticizing Israeli foreign policy you dont get any such label. However ,if you go on to claim that there is a Jewish media conspiracy or similar then you are propogating ancient propaganda that only 70 odd years ago led to the population being softened up for concentration camps and the murder of millions of people in mainland Europe. The distinction is clear and the defense of 'only criticizing Israel' is a smokescreen. It is truly shocking to see this stuff coming back and that it is being perpetrated by the Left is particularly sad for me. Seems it only takes a couple of generations and then the poison returns.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I mention Labour's problem with anti-Semitism and you're the one who seems to want to dismiss it as merely a problem of semantics when criticising Israeli policy. My response to you are actual examples (and there have been many and by a lot of people) of clear-cut anti-Semitism from Labour councillors, MPs and activists. Absolutely nothing to do with Zionism nor with legitimate criticism of Israel and everything to do with good old-fashioned Jew-hating.

Certainly not my job or desire to apologise for anyone guilty of naked anti-semitism, they deserve what they get IMHO. I just disagree with you that 'legitimate criticism of Israel' is always tolerated, I'm not sure that is the case. You are placed in the pro-Israel box, or the anti-semitic box. And that is clearly ridiculous, and unhelpful for peace and progress. Stupid comments from elected individuals, and there are some Labour activists who have made them, won't help this. I'd still like to believe there is some room between those two positions, maybe that is hopelessly naive and will never happen.

Listen, there has been so much bollocks written about Corbyn and his Labour I have started tuning out to some of the more rabid right-wing criticism but I agree with you - on this one there is an issue and he needs to show some leadership. He has supported the Palestinian position all his life, you can't expect him to change that. He just has to eradicate the anti-semitism, and do a lot more in that area. It undermines anything else he says or does.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The question for me is 'should he be allowed to profit from this'?

Who has the right to decide that? Are we going to set up a committee to determine who is allowed to profit from books they have written. Surely it's up to the consumer to decide whether to buy a book and, ergo, put money into the hands of the writer/publisher for them to do with what they will.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Who has the right to decide that? Are we going to set up a committee to determine who is allowed to profit from books they have written. Surely it's up to the consumer to decide whether to buy a book and, ergo, put money into the hands of the writer/publisher for them to do with what they will.

Slightly different for a public servant?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here