Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Should Sussex CCC emulate Gloucestershire?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Article in the Guardian suggests that Gloucestershire are thinking of selling their traditional home in Bristol and moving to a new purpose-built 20,000-seat ground. This will be multi-purpose, eco-friendly - and a home for a possible Hundred franchise.

It's only at the 'idea' stage at the moment apparently, but if one of our fellow 'outsider' counties are thinking of doing this, should Sussex consider it as well, or risk getting left even further behind? And yes I'm well aware the big question is 'Where?', but what do people think as a concept?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not sure the 'if they build it they will come' applies to cricket.

When would 20,000 attend.

There are already enough international grounds for test matches and one day games. So possibly an international T20 match once in a blue moon

Do the multi purpose aspect becomes key but what would make financial sense.

A nice idea but can't see it happening.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
No. They’d never fill it unless it was a test match, and the established grounds for those are pretty much set in stone. Even if they did get a Hundred franchise, no way would 20k rock up.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Personally speaking:

I love the County Ground

I don’t acknowledge “The Hundred”

Test matches are stupidly overpriced so I’ve got no desire for us to stage one.

Yup love the county ground.

What’s the Hundred ( rubbish that’s what it is)

I love to treat myself to the first day of a test match at the Oval. ( I feel I deserve it , as in front of me is a long season watching palace 😁)

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I don't even see how this works for Gloucestershire other than a short term plan to raise some money.
If you can't get a crowd in at Nevill Road there's no way you're ever going to persuade more people to go to some site out near Parkway or wherever exactly they have in mind.
It's the same issue Durham have, lovely ground but in the middle of nowhere and they get fobbed off with crap international fixtures and then the ECB act surprised that they haven't been able to sell out. And then it rains.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yup love the county ground.

What’s the Hundred ( rubbish that’s what it is)

I love to treat myself to the first day of a test match at the Oval. ( I feel I deserve it , as in front of me is a long season watching palace 😁)
I do love the Loathing of The Humbug. The only downside is it means there is little cricket in August for those who love cricket.

I've only ever seen one day's play at a Test match in England. The final day of The Ashes series at The Oval in 2009. Cherished memory.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
So the suggestion is they sell the ground to developers, pocket wads of money, then build a new site out in the sticks in the hope of attracting a 'hundred franchise'?

I thought Rob Andrew was going to the ECB, not Gloucestershire.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
So the suggestion is they sell the ground to developers, pocket wads of money, then build a new site out in the sticks in the hope of attracting a 'hundred franchise'?

I thought Rob Andrew was going to the ECB, not Gloucestershire.

It is a good measure of how desperately tough things are for the smaller counties that Gloucestershire are considering this abomination.

We were very fortunate that Sussex received the Spen Cama money and were able to use some of it for development of the Eaton Road site. The next phase of this development will hopefully be funded too (ideally by the rich ECB who should support a national network of centres of cricketing activity to produce their players...).

More than anything it highlights the level of challenge in assuring that we fans, and our children and grandchildren, will continue to watch Sussex players wearing the martlets at Hove.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wouldn't be so quick to write off the idea. A lack of vision, coupled by incompetence at ECB and SCCC level have left the club on their knees. Plus it really hasn't done Hampshire any harm. Sussex CCC look like an absolute village outfit these days. Someone needs to find an answer.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I wouldn't be so quick to write off the idea. A lack of vision, coupled by incompetence at ECB and SCCC level have left the club on their knees. Plus it really hasn't done Hampshire any harm. Sussex CCC look like an absolute village outfit these days. Someone needs to find an answer.
Have you been to the Toilet Bowl for county cricket...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here