Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should Prince Charles be speaking out about the Rwanda deportations?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not convinced the future King should be commenting personally.

How many times has the Queen made comments on her government’s policies in 70 years?

Not saying he’s wrong but it’s a massive change from the norm.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I agree with him - yes.
If I don't agree - no.

That's it works, isn't it?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's very clear from the newspaper front pages that these are private remarks. Is he not allowed to have an opinion?

Of course he is but I don’t recall the Queen’s private conversations making one of the top items on the news. Charles has a history of commenting on things he personally is not happy about and quite a few of them make the news :shrug:

I guess he is taking the lead from his dad

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Everyone is entitled to an opinion - even Prince Charles !

I agree with his opinion anyway. Deporting immigrants to Rwanda is beyond appalling. A profoundly ill-judged, brutal policy.

Imagine the documentaries to come as the immigrants are flown to Rwanda, arrive there traumatised, and forced into an uncertain future.
This will come back and haunt this government and Priti Patel. What were they thinking of?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Is he not allowed private conversations? It’s a pretty abhorrent policy so not surprising really there have been private conversations about it

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Not convinced the future King should be commenting personally.

How many times has the Queen made comments on her government’s policies in 70 years?

Not saying he’s wrong but it’s a massive change from the norm.

EDA87B6F-D250-4488-B2CD-0B7786123713.jpeg

Queen comments on political matters, if you believe the Sun.

BTW, don’t buy the Sun.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Rwanda plan IS appalling.

The Mail's reporting of a private conversation is inexcusable, particularly when they write "Risking a major clash with number 10......". It's like saying I'm risking a major clash with number 10 because I said over dinner that I thought Boris was a bellend. Private conversations should be just that.

Prince Charles has done nothing wrong other than express what any right thinking person would in private.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The Rwanda plan IS appalling.

The Mail's reporting of a private conversation is inexcusable, particularly when they write "Risking a major clash with number 10......". It's like saying I'm risking a major clash with number 10 because I said over dinner that I thought Boris was a bellend. Private conversations should be just that.

Prince Charles has done nothing wrong other than express what any right thinking person would in private.

I think the original story was a Times exclusive pinched by the Mail.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
As Prince of Wales, Charles has a slightly and subtly different role to that of the Sovereign and feels able to support causes or hold views that as Monarch he probably couldn’t.

Of course, he still can’t intervene on political matters and there is no mechanism for him to meet formally with the PM or Ministers to discuss government business in the way the Monarch does. But the Jubilee showed us that Charles is now operating very much as de facto sovereign and if a private conversation criticising government policy has been leaked to the press then of course that was most likely the whole intention all along. Ways and means, and all that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Everyone should be speaking out about the Rwandan deportation scheme, it's both barbaric and completely mental!

This. It’s not “playing politics” to say it’s a ****ing disgusting policy.

It’s just being a half decent human being.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think the original story was a Times exclusive pinched by the Mail.

I'd not seen The Times' report. I imagine if the Royals find out who that source is, he'll be toast. It's still not on.

Nevertheless, their report sets it in far better context than the Mail piece. While the Mail is setting out to cause conflict between number 10 and The Prince, The Times explains the context that it is a worry for Charles who has to travel to Rwanda soon to represent The Queen at the Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
If he wants to be accepted as HMQ's successor, he needs to speak out like this to put the fat messy lying bungle**** in his place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here