Jul 13, 2003
rents has loked by far the better player this season

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Re: Re: Should Mayo get a new deal

Del Boy said:
Thread opened and closed in one swoop. I am better than mayo.
You're not as intelligent as him.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Yorkie said:
It's appearances related not performance related. If the manager picks him for the team enough times then he gets an extension.
Perhaps you should all save your moans for Wilkins for selecting him?

It not moans, its the reality of the situation that we are in.

Kerry got a game because there was no one else to fill that position, is it fair that he is rewarded with a new contract pretty much by default ?

I think not

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No more contracts for Mayo. Far too many more negatives than positives. He's past his sell-by date. Don't care if he is 'only 28' or whatever it is his apologists always come out with. It's not supposed to be a job for life. The testimonial should be the parting of the ways IMHO.

And no more automatic contract extensions for ANYONE based on playing a certain number of games in a season. What's THAT all about? ???

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Tom Hark said:
And no more automatic contract extensions for ANYONE based on playing a certain number of games in a season. What's THAT all about? ???

It was a valid atempt by Dick Knight to reward some of the stalwarts of the last few seasons, but with such a small and depleted squad, its totally unrealistic and unworkable.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
B.W. said:
The simple answer to that simple question was "NO"
That's a bit black and white.

It works out cheaper in the short term for a club to offer the 'appearances-related' clause in any given player's contract. It may be seen as a false economy, but in that way, it is then down to the club (or rather the club's manager) as to whether that clause is initiated the next season or not. McGhee and/or Wilkins could easily have left Kerry behind in order to not allow that clause to kick in.

The point is - they didn't. They picked him.

The principle reason could well have been 'there was no-one else'. If this was the case, not a great deal has changed just yet, because Sam Rents is by no means the automatic first-choice left-back. Until he is, Mayo's services will still be required.

But, at the risk of repeating myself ad nauseum, this is academic - he IS being offered a new contract.

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
People have been writing Mayo off for years but he's still here and he's still getting contracts so he cant be that bad!

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
The Large One said:
But, at the risk of repeating myself ad nauseum, this is academic - he IS being offered a new contract.

You are of course right, but there is a relatively strong feeling that he shouldnt have been offered one hence the debate that has ensued.

I' will of course be 100% behind him when he turns out next season with a sneaky hope that I am wrong.

I take it Sporting Colours are sponsoring him next season ? :jester:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
British Bulldog said:
People have been writing Mayo off for years but he's still here and he's still getting contracts so he cant be that bad!

Indeed. He has been promoted three times (forgetting the relegations). He is not the only Brighton player to have had a poor season. Think of Hammond and Butters. They both came back stronger than ever and took 'player of the season'.

Football is a confidence game and we should get behind Kerry. Ideally, I would rather we had someone like Harding back or sign someone like Alan Wright (in his prime), but having Kerry will be useful. We have two decent left backs (Rents & Cobbs) to blood, without having to put too much pressure on them.

As far as performance related contracts are concerned, they are a useful tool. I would rather we have a player, playing for another deal than someone on a two year contract with that extra cushion of security. I fully expect Mayo to get stuck in and show his worth.....I hope.

We can start out showing our appreciation to his contributions and giving him that confidence, by turning up in our droves to watch him, single handedly, dismantle Reading.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Rougvie said:
I take it Sporting Colours are sponsoring him next season ? :jester:
Unlikely. I'd have to get past Mrs Superphil first.

I've got to talk to Doug yet, but seeing as the 40 Notes coffers are empty, we may well divvy up our shirt sponsorship on Dean Cox again this season. No-one had picked him up until very late on.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
The Large One said:
Unlikely. I'd have to get past Mrs Superphil first.

I've got to talk to Doug yet, but seeing as the 40 Notes coffers are empty, we may well divvy up our shirt sponsorship on Dean Cox again this season. No-one had picked him up until very late on.

I'm waiting to see who we sign to see if we are going to splash the cash, 4 tickets for the North Stand to justify out of next years budget !

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
Mayo is a long-serving member of this squad and can give the young players the benefit of his experience.

We don't have the money to attract decent players, and our squad does not have strength in depth to weather too many injuries.

It was only 2-3 weeks ago that people on here were saying that our young players were showing their frailty towards the end of a gruelling season.

He is also the last player from the Goldstone era left. Surely a 1 year extension is not too much to ask for a player who has given us good service over the last 10 years?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Large One said:
I really don't know why this question keeps coming up. He IS being offered an extension to his current contract, and that's the end of it. If anyone doesn't like it, that is, as they say, tough shit.

And why keep deabting the merits of Kerry's contract? There are 14 other players out of contract, and they don't keep getting debated. ...

Something must be wrong with me I am agreeing with TLO again.

I would hope that people would shut up about Mayo and let him get on with what he can do and that is provide experience as a left back,. Yes he is getting older and slower but lets give him a chance to prove he is worth an extention to his existing contract and if the clause is still in there and he plays enough games next season good luck to him.

If, as most on here say, he is rubbish do you think DW will keep playing him. Most certainly not, but he is a good back up to Rents, who will probably be first choice, when he needs a rest, which he will do.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
But Nsc is right and the last 4 'permanent' managers are wrong.

:jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here