Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Should fireworks be BANNED for the general public?

Should purchasing fireworks be BANNED for the general public?

• Yes it should, licensed events only

Votes: 83 55.0%
  • Sales hould be allowed on 5th November only

Votes: 13 8.6%
  • No, the public should be free to purchase them all year round without restrictions

Votes: 55 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don’t like anything being banned generally (unless it’s mint oreos and people eating chinese takeaway on a packed train) - I do think there is an argument for limiting the disruption of noise for people with pets though - and reducing disturbance to wildlife. (When I lived in Brighton, kids/adults even would deliberately target gull roosts around October/November and you know fireworks have just gone on sale - even if you can’t stand gulls, that’s insanely cruel.)

I could support a smaller window in which fireworks should be allowed to be let off and when they are on sale - does it really need to be from 15 October to 10 November - fair enough keeping pets indoors for 2 or 3 nights but 27 days?

During which time, kids, anyone lets off fireworks any day or evening but it’s anyone’s guess when and where they will exactly - years ago, our cat bolted at fireworks going off and landing at the bottom of our garden - she ran straight onto a railway line and was killed by an oncoming train - I had a dog, that ran across a busy A road after some kids let off a rocket in the local park one evening - it was around 5.30 (after I’d finished work) and if I recall at least 8-10 days before bonfire night - it took me over an hour to catch her and could see her meandering through traffic way ahead of me - Ive never felt so scared in my life.

Conversely, a few years of going to the Lewes firework display, never again! Let people have their own garden parties but ffs not for the duration of a 3 week period - let others plan sensibly around it if they need to,
Have to say I'm not aware of fireworks being set off every day they are on sale for.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
At the moment I am trying to persuade my dog to come out and have a crap but he's shivering in the corner of the kitchen. Unfortunately, there is nowhere you can get away from the bangs.
This is the argument that makes sense to me. The noise from fireworks affects people's pets over a large radius.

Limiting fireworks to organised shows mean that pet owners can be forewarned and take steps

I am all four protecting people's freedoms but when your freedoms impinge so negatively on others it has to be considered.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I think that fireworks should be accessible for the general public during a shorter time period around fireworks night (3-5 days)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think that fireworks should be accessible for the general public during a shorter time period around fireworks night (3-5 days)
Sounds like a sensible and well balanced suggestion that ticks lots of boxes and offers a sound compromise to all viewpoints.

This kind of thing has no place on NSC and will be reported immediately!

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
This is the argument that makes sense to me. The noise from fireworks affects people's pets over a large radius.

Limiting fireworks to organised shows mean that pet owners can be forewarned and take steps

I am all four protecting people's freedoms but when your freedoms impinge so negatively on others it has to be considered.
Yet by limiting them to solely organised shows means that children will never experience the pure joy of a garden bonfire, a guy, baked potatoes in foil and a dazzling display, courtesy of Brocks or Standard.
I fully agree they should be limited to sales only around the 5th November.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Did you miss my post (or maybe ignored it 😉)

I said just a few posts back that:

“ I could support a smaller window in which fireworks should be allowed to be let off and when they are on sale - does it really need to be from 15 October to 10 November - fair enough keeping pets indoors for 2 or 3 nights but 27 days?”
Yeah missed it. I don't always go back and read all the overnight (for me) posts on threads when I read in the morning.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yet by limiting them to solely organised shows means that children will never experience the pure joy of a garden bonfire, a guy, baked potatoes in foil and a dazzling display, courtesy of Brocks or Standard.
I fully agree they should be limited to sales only around the 5th November.

A fair point.

Agree on the limited sale around November an excellent solution all round.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
A fair point.

Agree on the limited sale around November an excellent solution all round.
Yeah agree its an excellent solution all round 😂 I only posted a few hours ago - is it really morning already in Swindon? 😉

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
When it comes to these things there's a substantial proportion of people who claim "one death is one too many".
The odd thing is how many of these same people find the idea of raising taxes on the richest, or corporation tax, or a whole variety of other measures that could be used to vastly reduce the excess deaths in the country, to be totally unacceptable.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We have to get sedatives from the vets for our dog as I’m worried she will have a heart attack which can happen with dogs as they get older. It makes you think of poor dogs in Ukraine and Gaza.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Still letting them off in Portslade/Hove ffs, 16 November ffs
It's probably related to Diwali rather than bonfire night. That's why there have been fireworks here over the last few nights.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yep WTF was that about? Was out with the dog. I keep him in on 4/5/6 but you’d think it’d be ok to walk them in the evening on the 16th. Grrr.
Beginning to think the post above yours now might be the clue, im absolutely done with fireworks, our dog gets so distressed

You must have heard the ones I was on about, sounded like is display??

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Beginning to think the post above yours now might be the clue, im absolutely done with fireworks, our dog gets so distressed

You must have heard the ones I was on about, sounded like is display??
Yeah I think it was a display. Went on for ages, finished with loud bangers. Mine hates them too, spent half an hour calming him down.

They should be much better advertised with start and end times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here