Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should England go it alone?

Scottish Independence, what would you do?

• Let them go

Votes: 63 58.9%
  • Fight for the Union

Votes: 44 41.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
If Scotland then rejoined the EU independently we'd have more borders, more trade restrictions. It's all just fantastic.

There's absolutely no way the Spanish would allow Scotland to join the EU.

A friend of mine, somewhat cynically (and also joking), quipped that the fastest way to take Scottish independence off the agenda would be for England to hold a referendum on whether we still wanted them to be part of the Union :lolol:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Not sure how Scotland can afford to leave the U.K. and thrive with their small population and ongoing dependence on trade with the rest of the U.K. But, hey, Sturgeon knows best and, like a dog with a bone, will get her way and the Jocks will end up just like the rest of us wishing they hadn’t been so stupid as to listen to an idiot who provided a one sided argument and not all the facts.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
They wouldn't go alone as they depend a lot on the defence budget at Faslane etc.
The UK did look at Falmouth for its SSBN base before going to Faslane as it's a deeper harbour etc than Faslane but it's a longer trip to go up North and out into the North Atlantic etc, but no doubt it could be used of the Sweatys do decide to leave us.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How can England go it alone if Scotland get independence? There is Wales and Northern Ireland.

For one thing, it will no longer be called United Kingdom. All that expense to change number plates from GB to UK, and the UK is falling apart.
It can be called the UK.

Not the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
OK, fight is the wrong word maybe. Would you be disappointed if they left? Should Westminster politicians campaign against it?

I'd be very sad. But I would also understand it. The behaviour of the current government will only have fueled nationalist sentiment.

But my concern would be more based in effects on the English political system. My concern about BREXIT was less leaving the EU and more the pending break up of the Union resulting in right wing populism in England. I predicted the Scots would vote to leave the Union by 2025.

I'm not an especially bright chap, but I worry this is one thing I may have called correct.

The thread I started in 2014

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...ntry-Outside-Of-The-European-Union&highlight=

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It can be called the UK.

Not the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The Kingdom passed from Queen Elizabeth 1 to her cousin, James VI of Scotland (James 1 of England) because she didn't have any children.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They wouldn't go alone as they depend a lot on the defence budget at Faslane etc.
The UK did look at Falmouth for its SSBN base before going to Faslane as it's a deeper harbour etc than Faslane but it's a longer trip to go up North and out into the North Atlantic etc, but no doubt it could be used of the Sweatys do decide to leave us.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

It is a shame Portsmouth council banned nuclear vessels.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Given Johnson's desire to override the Brexit deal on the Northern Ireland protocol, there will within a very short space of time be a united Ireland, with Scotland following.
So as well as going down in history as the worst PM, Johnson will forever be remembered as the person who broke the Union up.

I would expect that by 2030 it will either be England and Wales or just England depending on what way the Welsh want to go.
Actually it is more likely that whilst Johnson will be the one responsible for destroying the union, it'll actually happen under the unfortunate sap who comes next ( who will get the blame in the history books - another "Lord North" ).

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would your government accept the outcome of such a vote?

All fun and games until they want some stuff in the North Sea.

I can field that one.

Mophead would negotiate a "great deal" with the Scots. 6 months later he would realise that he didn't understand the "great deal" he negotiated and renege on the deal, probably breaking international law.

It would be OK though as the Mail, Express and Sun would show him at various construction sites/factories/schools wearing suitable workwear looking as if he is auditioning for The Village People. :thumbsup:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am glad I have one foot in the grave, to be honest. I hate what has happened to this country in the last 12 years. I feel for my children and grandchildren.

It's a strange one isn't it? The Albion's best years coincide with some of the country's worst years.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
To me the current system is unfair on everyone (including England) - but we make ourselves poorer when we seek to split ourselves off from others. If we’ve cut ourselves off from Scotland, the haters won’t stop, they’ll start on those from Wales, or the North, or South, or Midlands, or South-West.

If we keep going we’ll hate county to county, and if we keep giving them their way, we’ll be hating town to town eventually. I think if we kept following this path to its logical conclusion, it would end in my family vs your family.

So for that reason, I’d rather we built something fairer together than waved goodbye. Reform rather than complete separation.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I am glad I have one foot in the grave, to be honest. I hate what has happened to this country in the last 12 years. I feel for my children and grandchildren.
England doesn't have to be a world power now.

A cross between a little Tolkien-esque Hobbiton world backwater and an Airstrip 1 outsourcing its protection to the USA is where we are heading.

And then it is up to the individuals to make their best possible lives. And to kick out any criminals running us.

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I have given this some thought in recent days.

I genuinely think we are better together and would be sad to see Scotland go. However, if I were Scottish, I would probably be voting for independence for all the reasons previously mentioned in this thread.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To me the current system is unfair on everyone (including England) - but we make ourselves poorer when we seek to split ourselves off from others. If we’ve cut ourselves off from Scotland, the haters won’t stop, they’ll start on those from Wales, or the North, or South, or Midlands, or South-West.

If we keep going we’ll hate county to county, and if we keep giving them their way, we’ll be hating town to town eventually. I think if we kept following this path to its logical conclusion, it would end in my family vs your family.

So for that reason, I’d rather we built something fairer together than waved goodbye. Reform rather than complete separation.

United we stand, divided we fall.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I don't think it will be too long before Northern Ireland goes and is reunited with the Republic. Already Nationalists have taken the most seats in the Assembly for the first time and I think there will be a referendum in the next 20-30 years.

Now that the Unionists have lost power and are unlikely ever to regain it because of the demographics, I suspect that their refusal to allow the Assembly to operate is more a case of them having their ball taken away then anything to do with the NI Protocol.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think we are going alone given the latest government briefing, oh, apart from North Korea, Russia and Syria.. .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here