Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should David Cameron resign?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
If they hadn't f***ed up so royally with the tuition fees etc, plus how much interest and momentum they were beginning to draw in the election last year, they really could have benefitted a lot from all of this. Shame.

Indeed. I still maintain that they were very unlucky with the election result last year - had Cameron won a majority, or had they the option to choose to form a Lab/Lib coalition they really would be ready to strike gold now - but they had no choice but to form the coalition at the time.

Of course, you're right - they f***ed up big time with the tuition fees etc, and them going for the "we'll say we agree with everything" approach for unity's sake is entirely their fault...

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
I voted tory but never again what a crock of .... .Feel so sorry for this country,Tory and Labour are nightmares

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
At such times it seems the accusations to Cameron are that his friends are bad people so he must be too. I think he is, but not purely by association. Those in power have little choice but to befriend the devils of commerce in order to have all bases covered. Cameron is no sweet-hearted giver to the people, so for him to be morally questionable is not really the opposite of what most already believe.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm on Meado's wavelength (it's a worrry). Cameron should resign for unjustly putting the burden of the cuts on those who can least afford it - not this.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
what we need is a good bloody

Charlie-Gilmour-004.jpg

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
well that doesnt add up with the points he was making in his speech last week saying he would done more about NI but was advised against it. Brown is being very duplicitous on the matter.

It does stack up and Gus O Donnell has confirmed that he advised Brown that what he was proposing to do would likely end in legal action against the Government that would derail any election process. What it shows and O Donnell confirmed this, was that despite his wife's friendship with Brookes (which has since been tested in the last 6 months by information about the level of her deceit to them) he was still viewing with senior civil servants, what could be done to get closer to allegations against News International.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
DCs odds of being next cabinet minister to go now slashed from 100/1 to 12/1. Depressingly, Boris is 4/1 favourite to take over.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't know whether I'd laugh or cry. It'd be like having George Bush in power - terrible for the country, but great for British comedy.

Surely they'd be a vote of no confidence if Boris took over?

deakers

Jul 15, 2008
DCs odds of being next cabinet minister to go now slashed from 100/1 to 12/1. Depressingly, Boris is 4/1 favourite to take over.

Looks like C4 news will be worth a watch tonight. Apparently Boris lost it with Jon Snow at his press conference.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It does stack up and Gus O Donnell has confirmed that he advised Brown ...

im not questioning that, rather highlighting this means Brown knew of an awful lot more than he hiterto acknowledged, and chose not to do more or pursue the issue, the advise aside, and sat on it. his speech has rather boomeranged on him.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

How can Boris take over, he's not an MP? Cameron would have to resign not just as PM but as MP, call a by-election, Boris would have to be selected and win and then win a Tory election. And in the meantime, the party would continue leaderless for a couple of months while all this is happening.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
How can Boris take over, he's not an MP? Cameron would have to resign not just as PM but as MP, call a by-election, Boris would have to be selected and win and then win a Tory election. And in the meantime, the party would continue leaderless for a couple of months while all this is happening.

I'm not entirely sure, but (as crazy as it sounds) I don't believe you need to be an MP to be Prime Minister. I'm basing this solely on not needing to be an MP to be any other minister (see the unelected Darth Mandelson being a minister under Gordon Brown).

There may be tighter rules on being PM that Boris would need to get round, but either way this is what the bookies have...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm not entirely sure, but (as crazy as it sounds) I don't believe you need to be an MP to be Prime Minister. I'm basing this solely on not needing to be an MP to be any other minister (see the unelected Darth Mandelson being a minister under Gordon Brown).

There may be tighter rules on being PM that Boris would need to get round, but either way this is what the bookies have...

Indeed, he could be a peer of the realm but a) there hasn't been a peer as prime minister for more than a 100 years and to do so now would be a gift to Labour and b) Cameron and Johnson do not get on, it would be inconceivable for Cameron to offer a peerage to someone so that he can stab him in the back

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed, he could be a peer of the realm but a) there hasn't been a peer as prime minister for more than a 100 years and to do so now would be a gift to Labour and b) Cameron and Johnson do not get on, it would be inconceivable for Cameron to offer a peerage to someone so that he can stab him in the back

Can you actually sit in parliament if you're not a member though?

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
Sir Alec Douglas Hulme was in the house of Lords when he was appointed leader in 1963.
He won a safe seat at a byelection a few weeks later.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Can you actually sit in parliament if you're not a member though?

No. He'd have to be made a peer and sit in the House of Lords. Lord Salisbury was the last PM to sit there.

All of which is of course virtually impossible, even if constitutionally there's a way. If Cameron gets ousted there'd be a general election called and his successor as leader of the Tories would be landed with a safe seat somewhere.

All very good fun, this. Cameron's just admitted to leaving a social engagement - his birthday party - with none other than Rebekah Brooks off a list of meetings with the media released last week due to an "administrative error". Terrible things when they happen, these administrative errors.

I'm starting to think he's a goner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here