Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham air disaster

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Five years on.....

Sat Aug 22, 2020 marks the anniversary of that terrible day at Shoreham airport, when 11 people died and 16 were seriously injured.
This still affects all in and around Sussex, especially the Albion.
Thoughts with all who have and are still suffering.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
218359966.jpg.gallery.jpg

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Still remember it as if it was yesterday - sitting in the Stand before the match and getting the text from my wife: are you ok? Something has happened at Shoreham.

And I had driven along that bit of road a few minutes before it happened. There but for the grace of God go I. ....... and loads of others.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Still remember it as if it was yesterday - sitting in the Stand before the match and getting the text from my wife: are you ok? Something has happened at Shoreham.

And I had driven along that bit of road a few minutes before it happened. There but for the grace of God go I. ....... and loads of others.

Feel exactly the same.

Those poor people and their families. Truly horrific.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Feel exactly the same.

Those poor people and their families. Truly horrific.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It brings a lump to my throat just about every time I hear a mention of it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Still remember going to the end of my road and seeing smoke rising in the distance ...

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Me and the Mrs were at the airshow. Absolutely horrific day and something neither one of us will ever forget.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Mrs Zef, Zef jr, the neighbours and their kids were up on the Downs watching it all . . . I was walking up Mill Hill and jut head the bang . . . . Then saw the smoke.

Has to be the biggest **** up in Sussex ever. How the guy isn't behind bars for manslaughter I don't know. He should never fly again unless its off beachy head with heavy boots on.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I had just picked up Mrs BB from Sainsburys Lyons Farm and was driving back along the Sompting By-Pass towards Lancing at about 13:25, when we saw a large plume of black smoke in the distance hanging in the air drifting very slowly northwards. My wife said "perhaps there's been an air crash", I said "no, they re-enact an attack on the airfield with loud bangs and explosions and loads of smoke, I saw it at the Airshow last year". We arrived home a couple of minutes later and heard a load of emergency sirens going off, I ran indoors and looked on NSC and there was the main thread 'Plane Crash at Shoreham Airshow'.

:down:

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I remember waiting to get on the bus at the race course, watching it do the loop, It then disappears behind the hills, next thing the plume of smoke. Me and his driver just looked at each other. By the time we got to Warren road, a lady on the bus said that it had crashed on to A27.

Thoughts are with all the families and friends this has affected.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Remember that day very well, I live just across the fields from the airport. we had just got home from visiting the Grandkids and as we got out the car i could hear a jet going around. Mrs B decided to say hello to the neighbours and I said I'm going to watch the jet from the back garden. As I went up the hallway there was some kind of boom and it felt like the house shook, by the time I got to the back garden there was no jet just a big plume of smoke and 11 poor souls had lost their lives.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Similar. My ex and I were planning on shopping in Brighton and the time we were planning to get there, would have meant we would be driving through at that time.

Sad for everyone else involved, not just the families of those affected, but all those involved in the recovery process. Can't have been easy to deal with at all.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
As someone living overseas, I heard about the tragedy through NSC and the various media channels.

What became apparent very early on was the fantastic reaction from the club, it's employees and the local populous.

One player in particular (and often derided on here) David Stockdale, was a knight in shining armour. Per my understanding, he spent time comforting family members of those affected, as did numerous club employees including Paul Barber.

A very sad day Indeed, but it showed the very best of Brighton and what we're all about.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Maurice the chauffeur who was killed only a year earlier had taken me and the wife from St Helens down to our reception at the Grand, he was a true gentleman, I still have a picture of us three on our wall at home.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Still remember this, I have a mate in Windsor who supports Blackburn and he always used to watch their games at the Amex with me. Was a hot day, we’d be down at the Prince Albert before the game and we started to hear about it just as we were leaving the pub I think it was

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We were at a funeral In Hove that day wondering why some of the family were late. Didn’t find out what happened until later in the afternoon. Dreadful day all round. A terrible thing that should never have happened. Whether it was the pilot’s fault or not, in hindsight it seems inevitable that if you play games with real aeroplanes over crowds, buildings or roads, an accident will happen. If the legacy of this is to make air shows safer, then some good can come of disaster.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I was working as a conductor on a Brighton to West Worthing service at the time, heard some kids talking about a crash and just thought they were having a laugh, then when we came back through on the return to Brighton I could see the smoke in the distance. It really is one of those days that will stay with you for a very long time.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I was on the train from Hove to Portsmouth during the crash, I didn't see anything but as I was checking my phone en-route, various bit of news popped up and I just felt pure dread over the next few days.
The club's reaction was just purely emotional. Even though I had no personal connection to anyone involved, I felt it big time, a real connection to home, especially with how the club reacted.
Utterly overwhelming pride, sadness and resilience.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I had said to my son the day before that we’d better leave 10 minutes earlier to go to the Amex cos if the air show. We went past the lights at Shoreham exactly 10 minutes before the plane came down. On the way home, the clutch cable broke on my car and we had to wait until 20 pat midnight for a tow truck to get to us.

I still feel I got lucky that day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here