Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Shops re-open on Monday - are you up for it?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Sports direct has always confused me, it’s not even cheap. Stuff that is normally cheap is cheap and the usual popular brands are still well overpriced. Plus I wouldn’t buy anything in there given it’s owned by that t*at mike Ashley.

Amazing how quickly people forget how Ashley treated his staff at the start of this and were saying sports direct should be boycotted.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Amazing how quickly people forget how Ashley treated his staff at the start of this and were saying sports direct should be boycotted.

Probably not.

There'll be a group of people who probably never shopped at Sports Direct, thought Ashley was a ****, his actions reinforced that view, and still won't shop at Sports Direct.

There'll be another group of people who don't really care, or might be able to afford to care, where they can pick up sports gear.

Added into the mix, today at least, will be NHS workers who had the opportunity to kit themselves and their kids out and save a few quid. Given some of the low pay scales in the NHS, I'm not sure I can blame them for their choice, even if it's not one I'd make myself.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Why would anyone shop I Sports Direct when there is a far, far, far superior sports store right next door. Decathlon.
Cheaper, better quality, cleaner, brighter, staff with knowledge, much better range of goods.

Common people really are a curiosity.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Probably not.

Added into the mix, today at least, will be NHS workers who had the opportunity to kit themselves and their kids out and save a few quid. Given some of the low pay scales in the NHS, I'm not sure I can blame them for their choice, even if it's not one I'd make myself.

We avoid SD as much as possible, but my missus has finished her shift at the RSCH and headed up there for a few bits. Usually go to Decathlon for our sports gear (which had no queues outside at all apparently - SD queue was up North St and round the corner) but the lure of half price stuff today for NHS staff has proved too strong for her, and saved my card a walloping...fingers crossed.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The showroom is open today, and we have had three people in, not one of them under 60 years old. Showing and describing pros and cons of flooring is very difficult keeping a 2m distance, no one really knows what to do, it is very awkward, I don't like it at all.

I really do not understand the alleged ques for such places as sports direct and other fashion outlets supposedly parents getting school uniforms etc.
With a second wave probably around the corner, some schools not even having kids back yet, (we have been told they won't be back full time in September !!) why rush out and buy shit..
I don't get it, the smart thing is to wait and see for three or four weeks, and see if there is a peak again, not splash out because there is an alleged bargain to be had.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I mean this in the nicest possible way but the real world is very different to the NSC bubble, and to some degree The Peoples Republic of Brighton & Hove.

Do you lot PM each other to agree the annoying trope of the day or are you really only capable of copy and paste?

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Why would anyone shop I Sports Direct when there is a far, far, far superior sports store right next door. Decathlon.
Cheaper, better quality, cleaner, brighter, staff with knowledge, much better range of goods.

100% on all of that, Decathlon is excellent, plus if you’re busting for a J Carol Naish in central Brighton their toilets are 5 star hotel standard, and the best kept secret on North Street...oops.

Sports Direct is where the Football Lads Alliance chaps get their grey flannel jogging bottoms. Avoid.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
My family got back some of the Amex experience today in their first shop visit, to Cuckfield Candy Store & More (from which Kevin "no relation" Barber provides Stadium Sweets):

4ed8b58a9aa7bc9c27970f30455cd871.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The example given was Sports Direct Worthing. There is no Decathlon here.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What do you object to in Chicken's post?
It seemed an eminently reasonable position to take.

His lack of originality.

This is exactly why I always describe NSC are in a bubble, they need to look at the bigger picture.

Although they will still slur me in one way or another, I live in the real world, like yourself, some could say we are the voices of reason.

Posted at 13.34

I mean this in the nicest possible way but the real world is very different to the NSC bubble, and to some degree The Peoples Republic of Brighton & Hove.

Posted at 13.54

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
yeah good news.

Busier it is the better .

Much needed sense of normality finally returning

Yup...The virus is here, its not going away via a vaccine any time soon. So lets just crack on, be careful but crack on and live life. If you feel vulnerable, stay in, but let others enjoy their 3 score years and ten.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here