Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shops gone that you miss

longmanofwilmington

Apr 25, 2014
Turns out the Jabba's hut guy fell down the stairs going to his shop and died. I'm not sure he hadn't already relocated by that point, but a sad story none the less.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
R. Soles in Imperial Arcade.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Oh, so many memories in this thread. The coffee shop in Gardner St is a particularly strong memory. And I remember being frightened by the Father Christmas in Wades when I was about 3 :lolol:

Shops that haven't been mentioned yet:

Cottage Records in Church St, I bought so much vinyl there. I worked Saturdays at Jolyons at Old Steine and I could walk to Cottage in my lunchbreak and splurge my money.

Fine Records in Brighton Square. Used to spend ages in there, chatting to Kaz and Paul behind the counter and bought loads of reggae. I remember Kaz opened his own place in Waterloo St which went bust quickly

The alternative bookshop in Market St (opposite Wagon Wheel restaurant). They had a great range of books not found anywhere else. I remember saving up the complete Rimbaud, something that the mainstream shops would never have had. You could also buy Brighton Voice, the antidote to the Argus there.

All the second-hand bookshops in town: the one in Queen's Road where books were strewn all over the place; Holleyman and Treacher in Duke St; several in Trafalgar St and the one on Grand Parade, just down from Swift Sports.

And my favourite chip shop - The Creel in North Road. It was even better than Bardsley's

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Oh yes, spent many a dinner time sitting on sacks of grain in 'Toms' with a bottle of Tizer & a paper bag of lemonade powder. Can still picture Tom behind the counter with his 'Arkwright' brown overall on. Trouble is it's 60 years ago now!

A little less than 60 years for me as not 60 yet. But I also remember Tom exactly as you describe. His shop is my most vivid memory from that little parade including the very same paper bags and dust on the floor from the potato sacks. On the opposite side of the road were Gravelys on the corner were I used to be sent to get a bag of sugar or 1/4lb of Brooke Bond tea with a teacard tucked inside the packaging, and Ogdens the bakers. Biggest treat there would be a traffic light cake if I was very, very lucky. A big round shortcake with round blobs of red, yellow and green jam in a strip down the middle.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Used to love going to Re-Al down the lanes when i had some cash. What was the other place near the level? Pig City Skates or something?

Never forget a shop in shoreham (maybe southwick) - really nice man in a shop full of leads, megadrives, nintendos, and games - and would do amazing deals- he genuinly wanted kids to happy and do deals to help them.

Warwick street in worthing had a decent computer game shop too for spectrum and megadrive.

West of central worthing had an incredible collectors sci-fi style shop - no way can i remember its name.

Boundary rd portslade (west side of road) had a massive shop with magazines and other stuff (large newsagents?)......each week about 20 PC magazine in the early 90s each with free disk on the front (with demos of games/software)......many lunchtimes some of those disks went missing ;-)

Amazing toy shop was in north lancing too - next to the chippy - stuff in there you would not find anywhere else - name forgotten....again.

english high streets were once a place of meeting, hubub, and family....now mostly sanitised and dead.

woolworths was very strange but one of a kind, where else can you buy sweets, a record, a bra, and a wheelbarrow?

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Welcome to NSC!

Used to love Attrix, home of The Chefs and the Vaultage albums! Rick & Julie Blair were Brighton's answer to Malcolm McLaren and Vivien Westwood :lol:

If you liked Attrix, you'll LOVE this...

http://www.punkbrighton.co.uk/

Thanks, THPP, I can see myself losing a lot of hours too that site.

And, does anyone else recall Owen Owen on Western Road? Not even sure what its main line of business was.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Michael barrie was in east st, me thinks the gog shop was in western road part of cobleys run by Michael lowrie

You thinks wrong my friend. Michael Barrie was 100% the one in Western Road and it' s where I bought my first big greatcoat in late 1972. Patterned cloth had just taken over from the military grey fashion from the late 60's and 70/71 which was usually accompanied by the obligatory Led Zep, King Crimson album under the arm as a fashion accessory. These fabulous coats were wonderful that Winter and it cost me almost half a months pay. They were all the rage amongst the North Street bank and insurance staff around town in 72 and 73. In such demand that someone broke in to my newly acquired 65 Mini and stole it. Big event buying that coat and it was definitely Michael Barrie in Western Road. Gog shop was East Street and I used to like Squires for cheaper stuff in Western Road. But they never had the quality in Squires.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Ashplants the cycle shop on London Road near Preston Circus where I got Raleigh bikes throughout my growing up years for birthdays and Christmases.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Some good ones above BUT better ones are still with us...as long as we still use them
Pullingers,
Aird & Co (retirement soon?)
Two Way books
Jump The Gun
Immediate clothing
Infinity food
Yum yum
Dockerills
Kaz systems
Gunns

Quality stuff with staff that know what they're talking about. All going 20+ years within a quarter mile of each other, makes Brighton what it is
Wonderful places

seagullhoop

Nov 6, 2012
Brighton
Vetesse's cafe - bottom of Cranbourne Street great for watching the world go by

Architekt in Queens Road for expensive boys toys

The Astoria cinema just up from the Gloucester Nightclub (saw Jaws there)

Skating on the smooth bit on top of the Aquarium

Ted the oyster man in English's Restaurant

Downbeat, the club round the back of Gamleys

The Frock and Jacket

The Blue Parrot

Fred's barber shop Upper North Street

Oct 25, 2003
David Rose Sports- got my first ever football boots in there

MVC- i think it stood for 'music video club'....you like became a member and got a discount

gamleys/beatties...nice and close to each other

electronics boutique...far better than game

jakarta...was next to debenhams in churchill square and was a games shop...the staff always chose what the demo game was....tended to be a football one

how has game outlasted all these great shops?!

stugbhafc1

Stuie G
Aug 4, 2011
Southwick
Sports corner boundary road a lad in my football team got a job there on a saturday i was gutted at the time as he got discount and stuff from the shop

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Some good ones above BUT better ones are still with us...as long as we still use them
Pullingers,
Aird & Co (retirement soon?)
Two Way books
Jump The Gun
Immediate clothing
Infinity food
Yum yum
Dockerills
Kaz systems
Gunns

Quality stuff with staff that know what they're talking about. All going 20+ years within a quarter mile of each other, makes Brighton what it is
Wonderful places

They are customers of mine :D good to see they are looked at in a good light. I'm not going to tell you what I do for a living though.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Rediffusion in Shoreham, only one that sold vinyl. With Woolworths gone how do kids learn how to shoplift? Both me and my Dad served our apprenticeships there! My daughters will have to learn on the interweb.

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
I think that was the store Peter worked in, He is in his 70's now but can still remember the artist, title, release date, and catalogue number of any record from the 50's to the 70's.
I actually bumped into him this lunch time in the club. Handy bloke to have on your team in a music quiz. Really nice feller

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here