Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shops gone that you miss

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I don't think I miss it but I remember buying what I thought was a trendy jumper from a mens clothes shop in George St. Hove. It was on the west side of George Street at the Church Road end. The jumper cost me £60+ in the 80s, by far the most I'd ever spent on an item of clothes. Wore it once and realised buying it was a mistake.
Anyone remember the name of the shop?

bassking

Mar 18, 2011
The Dollar Store
ATTRIX RECORDS.png

Going back 30 odd years now but used to spend my saturday mornings trawling through the vinyl here, down Queens Road, im guessing thats the owner outside.

tedlit

Nov 18, 2006
Scotland (just)
Going to echo a few earlier contributions - the West St Uncle Sams, Beatties, Gamleys, and - especially Gamer down by the ABC. Everyone always crowded around all the fancy Commodore and Atari tat while I could pick up all the old BBC and Acorn stuff that *no one* wanted for next to nothing. Muahahaha.

Will also add Target in North St (the shoe shop), Atomic Sounds in Shoreham where something like half my vinyl collection came from, and the slightly strange record shop on Chapel St in Worthing. Cannot for the life of me remember what it was called, but it was almost on the corner of Chapel St and Wenban Rd. Many a happy lunchtime was spent there flicking through the 1970s in record format, chatting to the owner, and wondering where all the other customers were!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Uncle Sams by the clock tower.

WTF happened to the bloke who owns Uncle Sams? He could have achieved world domination. Instead he appeared to have some kind of breakdown and retreated to a half-dozen randomly/obscurely-sited outlets. Doubt I'd ever have any reason/excuse to go to Burgess Hill ever again if Uncle Sams were to close down.

Put it this way, how many other burger chains have their own dedicated NSC smiley? As the bloke with the heavy suitcase said:I rest my case :unclesam:

Do you mean the Uncle Sams in West Street? Top left hand side of the road going down, i think it had an upstairs seating area.
Have the other Brighton Uncle Sams now closed?
Oriental Place or near there, I think this was the original shop, also York Place another one from years back.
There was or still is shops in Woodingdean and Hollingbury.

I went to an Uncle Sams in Eastbourne a couple of years ago, the burger wasn't anything special.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Do you mean the Uncle Sams in West Street? Top left hand side of the road going down, i think it had an upstairs seating area.
Have the other Brighton Uncle Sams now closed?
Oriental Place or near there, I think this was the original shop, also York Place another one from years back.
There was or still is shops in Woodingdean and Hollingbury.

I went to an Uncle Sams in Eastbourne a couple of years ago, the burger wasn't anything special.

The one by the clock Tower was technically top of North Street. It had a metal spiral staircase and upstairs seating. There was also one in, as you say, York Place. Both now gone. As is the one across the road from Chichester train station. Only ones I'm aware of nowadays are Burgess Hill, the one in Hollingbury on the 5B bus route up to ASDA, and that tiny wee one down an obscure side road between Western Road and the seafront. Beggars belief that a universally-adored burger chain could blow it so badly.
Sake! :unclesam:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
The one by the clock Tower was technically top of North Street. It had a metal spiral staircase and upstairs seating. There was also one in, as you say, York Place. Both now gone. As is the one across the road from Chichester train station. Only ones I'm aware of nowadays are Burgess Hill, the one in Hollingbury on the 5B bus route up to ASDA, and that tiny wee one down an obscure side road between Western Road and the seafront. Beggars belief that a universally-adored burger chain could blow it so badly.

Lancing and Shoreham (opposite old Southlands Hospital) allegedly

Jul 7, 2003
The problem with Uncle Sams is that there is a distinct lack of consistency between shops even though they use the same ingredients. Of the two in Worthing, the original Broadwater one is the better of the two but that is because the Durrington one is awful. Last one I had from Broadwater was pretty tasteless which takes some doing for chilli and bacon burger.

Best one I have come across is in Burgess Hill - quality is always good and the manager keeps a close eye on things.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I'm sure it was West Street ??? between the top and Duke Street, you have described it as I remember, the spiral staircase and seating.
The tiny one off Western Road, Oriental Place ( I think ) always did really nice burgers, in the 80s there wasn't even a choice of milk shakes in this shop, I don't think the shop was big enough for a large machine, and they had 'milkshake of the day'

Is Grubbs burger shop still going?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Going to echo a few earlier contributions - the West St Uncle Sams, Beatties, Gamleys, and - especially Gamer down by the ABC. Everyone always crowded around all the fancy Commodore and Atari tat while I could pick up all the old BBC and Acorn stuff that *no one* wanted for next to nothing. Muahahaha.

Will also add Target in North St (the shoe shop), Atomic Sounds in Shoreham where something like half my vinyl collection came from, and the slightly strange record shop on Chapel St in Worthing. Cannot for the life of me remember what it was called, but it was almost on the corner of Chapel St and Wenban Rd. Many a happy lunchtime was spent there flicking through the 1970s in record format, chatting to the owner, and wondering where all the other customers were!

I see you are saying Uncle Sams was in West St

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I'm sure it was West Street ??? between the top and Duke Street, you have described it as I remember, the spiral staircase and seating.
The tiny one off Western Road, Oriental Place ( I think ) always did really nice burgers, in the 80s there wasn't even a choice of milk shakes in this shop, I don't think the shop was big enough for a large machine, and they had 'milkshake of the day'

Think so, them there Malaysian burgers (peanut butter, chilli and banana) were wholesome fayre after a few beers.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I don't think I miss it but I remember buying what I thought was a trendy jumper from a mens clothes shop in George St. Hove. It was on the west side of George Street at the Church Road end. The jumper cost me £60+ in the 80s, by far the most I'd ever spent on an item of clothes. Wore it once and realised buying it was a mistake.
Anyone remember the name of the shop?

Was it Potters?
It's the only clothes shop I can remember in George Street, they had a shop in York Place Brighton that sold school uniforms, but I also bought Farah trousers there in the early 80s, don't Remember them selling expensive jumpers.

D

Deleted User X18H

Walter Gillet's, Market St, the Lanes
Beals, East St
Lewis G Smith, Grand Parade

From kids to architects, each was a goldmine of stationery and similar, but they variously had other bits like detailed OS maps, and other stuff for kids to nose around.

Gillets was later demolished for the building that now includes Karen Millen etc.

My Mum worked at Gillets and in the factory in Scarbrough Road

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Yup, still a Grubbs in the same place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here