Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Shock Absorbers - How long should they last?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Here's the thing. I have a 66 plate Peugeot with 42,000 miles on the clock. Out of the blue, it started knocking somewhere around the wheel arch on the drivers side. Diagnosed as an issue with the shock absorber which needed replacing and I should replace the other one at the same time. £505! I've never had to replace a shock absorber in 50 years of motoring and the age of the car and the mileage makes it seem premature to me. I wrote to the Chief Executive of Peugeot to express my point of view and they offered me 50% off, so about £250 for two new shock absorbers from a main dealer . Should I bite their arm off and accept their offer or push for more?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Unfortunately the state of the roads and many speed humps do wear all suspension components quicker than you’d think .

6 year old car done 42k isn’t that excessive, however be prepared for a call saying that you need droplinks replacing too.

There’s some really good independent garages about that don’t charge main dealer prices. Bear in mind most dealers labour rate is around £100 an hour plus vat

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Call into Rapid Auto Centres in Portslade, get a quote from them. Big BHA fan, Gary Stephens, and brilliant service from an independent, more traditional, non corporate garage.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I swear every time I hear a story likely this it's a French car, yet they're still incredibly popular. :shrug:

My sister in law's Peugeot (similar age to yours) had its exhaust fall off on the M1 recently. My sister's had no end of problems with her Renaults.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
What was the warranty that came with the car? When the likes of Kia , Hyundaii etc offer a seven year warranty, it makes you wonder why other brands offer far less……..

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I swear every time I hear a story likely this it's a French car, yet they're still incredibly popular. :shrug:

My sister in law's Peugeot (similar age to yours) had its exhaust fall off on the M1 recently. My sister's had no end of problems with her Renaults.

I sell a lot of suspension parts, French stuff does seem popular

boik

And yet our Renault Scenic lasted 10 years with only the usual wear and tear items.

Do French cars use different shock absorbers to the rest of the world maybe.

We imported a Toyota Alphard because various people we knew with VW transporters had a ton of problems, and yet they're supposedly reliable? Luckily the Toyota is superior to a VW in almost every way so we're happy with our choice.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Here's the thing. I have a 66 plate Peugeot with 42,000 miles on the clock. Out of the blue, it started knocking somewhere around the wheel arch on the drivers side. Diagnosed as an issue with the shock absorber which needed replacing and I should replace the other one at the same time. £505! I've never had to replace a shock absorber in 50 years of motoring and the age of the car and the mileage makes it seem premature to me. I wrote to the Chief Executive of Peugeot to express my point of view and they offered me 50% off, so about £250 for two new shock absorbers from a main dealer . Should I bite their arm off and accept their offer or push for more?

Peugeot has an issue with shocks. Lots of stuff on Peugeot forums.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
And yet our Renault Scenic lasted 10 years with only the usual wear and tear items.

Do French cars use different shock absorbers to the rest of the world maybe.

We imported a Toyota Alphard because various people we knew with VW transporters had a ton of problems, and yet they're supposedly reliable? Luckily the Toyota is superior to a VW in almost every way so we're happy with our choice.

You're talking to a Toyota fanboy here.
I've done 250000 miles in a Yaris and Verso, combined and only had to replace brake discs.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003

Yet she continues to buy them. Women eh.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Get an alternative quote from. It's not hard.

Indeed it isn't. But my question was whether I would be pushing my luck by trying to get a greater contribution than 50% or are Peugeot being generous for the age and mileage.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Indeed it isn't. But my question was whether I would be pushing my luck by trying to get a greater contribution than 50% or are Peugeot being generous for the age and mileage.

Super generous? Definitely not. Generous? Maybe, if it is outside the warranty period. But it would be stupid not to get a quote on middle range aftermarket shocks, you might get better and/or cheaper.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
unless there's been some new tech in shock absorbers thats pretty outrageous.
that said, with labour for both sides the 50% discount rate isnt terrible. they arent being generous, just charging near fair price.

boik

You're talking to a Toyota fanboy here.
I've done 250000 miles in a Yaris and Verso, combined and only had to replace brake discs.

Me too. Impressed with the Alphard so bought a cheap Auris as a runaround. Doesn't alter the fact that our Scenic lasted 10 years without issue as did the Peugeot 306 for 8 years before that.

People love to generalise to fit their argument. One of the many curses of the modern internet. Someone reads a story and then assume that its the same for everyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here