Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shirt with no sponsor logo

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Wouldn't it be great if you could buy an Albion replica shirt next season with no sponsor's logo on it?

I think there's a case for making shirts available WITH or WITHOUT the shirt sponsor on it. And I don't think this is as dumb as it sounds. Bear with me ...

1. It has happened before. When Athletic Bilbao (with a tradition, like Barca, of not having a shirt sponsor) finally succumbed to sponsorship, fans had the choice of whether to have the Petronor logo on their shirt. So it can be done.

2. I think it would be good for kit sales. Fogeys like me who don't like sponsor logos would shell out for a WITHOUT shirt. Younger fans, I suspect, would stick with the WITH shirt. By giving more choice, you create extra demand.

3. The sponsor (who would, no doubt, be really wary of the idea) could get loads of capital out of this because it would be a real discussion point, they'd be the first company to agree to offer fans the choice, etc, etc. Lots of extra publicity for them.

Anyway, thought I'd post the idea on here to get shot down in flames, as I'm a sucker for punishment.

Could this work?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think almost everyone (young and old) would buy the non logo version.

This season's kit without the logo would look AMAZING.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
whilst it may generate publicity in the short-term, the sponsor would still miss out from loads of people walking around with their logo on their shirts if people have the option not to have it, dont think any sponsor would be happy...

only reason bilbao and barca do it is cos of their tradition, we dont have the same tradition unfortunately

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I think almost everyone (young and old) would buy the non logo version.

Well, my 13 y.o. son thinks a shirt without a sponsor's logo is missing something. He didn't like the WBA no-logo shirt, which I thought was great.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yea, I am sure a sponsor would love it if we sold a shirt without a sponsor :lolol:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'd rather we had a charity than a company, but I imagine we are not quite in the same bracket of clubs that can afford to forgo free money.

I'd also rather have a charity than a blank shirt, but I no longer buy/wear football shirts so my opinion is not that of a paying customer.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If I had a choice between getting rid of corporate-branding for new stadiums and sponsors names/logos on shirts I would go for 'clean' shirts without question. 99.99% of all of them look complete shit and even the odd .01 % (such as our 'Skint' one) are still crap when compared to the unadorned shirts of yesteryear.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
It would be immense but given the thousands It First are paying the club to be shirt sponors i don't think it'd go down too well with them.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I think some teams do this but only when the sponsor is a beer company which is inappropriate for children.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think some teams do this but only when the sponsor is a beer company which is inappropriate for children.

If a team is sponsored by an alcoholic drinks brand, it is now illegal to sell child replicas (this is new in the last year or 2). If the sponsor is a betting company, it is considered good practice to allow the option of unsponsored child shirts. I know that Wolves (sportingbet.com), don't sell child shirts with a sponsor on any longer.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Yea, I am sure a sponsor would love it if we sold a shirt without a sponsor :lolol:

My point was that giving people the choice would attract lots of attention to the sponsor - which is what they're after.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here