Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shift Work & The Albion

buller89

Aug 9, 2007
Horsham
Hi guys,

A bit of advice is needed here. I have the opportunity to work for a good company with good prospects. The downside is that it would be shift work.

It would be a rota basis of 4 shifts on 4 shifts off; each shift is a 12 hour shift within an operating day of 8.00am to 8.00pm or an operating night of 8.00pm to 8.00am.

My dilemma is the fact I have a season ticket and live for going to Albion games. Has anyone had any experience of this type of shift work. How much did it disrupt you being able to get to Albion games?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I do shift work and have a season ticket. I find I can probably get to about 60% of games. The rest of the time another member of my family uses my ticket, though I appreciate that may not be possible for you. It's OK, I am getting a bit fed up of the shifts though and am trying to get another job sorted out, either with or without my current employers.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I worked that shift for 15 years and it is luck of the draw. I had a season ticket at withdean for 3 seasons but then it just wasn't working out so I stopped it. Last season was great as I worked normal hours so got to every game but I have changed job and that will again be the same shift as you. But I would still have renewed this season, sometimes it's worth missing a few to get to some.

stimpy

Apr 28, 2012
Lancing
I do shift work 4 days on, 2 off. Only 8.5hr days though. It does get in the way a bit but I've managed to book leave meaning I will only miss 1 home game this season.

All depends on whether you would want to use a fair chunk of you leave allowance or if the company would let you.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Worked shift for 33 years before retiring, you just have to accept that you won't be going to games if you're working day shift on a Saturday or during weekdays if it's an evening game. I always went to the game if I was working nights, just means getting up a bit earlier. Your job/career and security comes before anything else, so if you want the job you'll have to bite the bullet and get to as many games as you can. In those circumstances I wouldn't buy a ST unless you can share it with someone (I realize that it's a bit too late for that now).
Good luck if you decide to take the new job.

:thumbsup:

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Ive done shift work for the last 13 years, if its easy for you to swap shifts with other workers at your job it wont be too bad. I think the only home match i missed last year was because i was on holiday and not because of work. Ive already swapped a shift next week so i can go to the Cardiff game but the chances are i will have to miss some games this season. I'd much rather do shift work than 9-5 mon-Fri.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
see how it goes this season ... If not just buy tickets when you know you can go . Somehow i do not think you will miss out on getting a ticket with the new increased caopacity. Other than that , keep ticket and see if you can share it out on the games you cannot go .

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
I do shift work. It's the luck of the draw how the fixtures fall. Last season there were only 4 home games I couldn't make without taking time off. This season I've had to take time off for 8 games. It really depends on what the likelihood is that you will be able to get the time off that you need.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I worked shifts, which were all over the place, for a year. Sometimes early mornings, sometimes day shifts, sometimes nights. Two weekends out of five. I loved the job, absolutely loved it, but I wasn't seeing my missus and I was missing about half the Albion home games.

In the end, I had to leave, for a Monday-Friday, 8.30-6 job. Less interesting, more hours, no weekends, more time with Mrs Herne Hill. Others have said the job comes first. I disagree - work is something you do to allow you to enjoy your life, unless you're in the extremely fortunate position to be doing something you love for a living.

Swindonseagull makes a very good point, though - if you have to take the job to be able to afford the football in the first place, then it'll still be better than no Albion at all.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
About 10 years ago I had a job for a few years that meant I worked split shifts. 6 days a week 10-3pm and then went back in the evening for 6-10pm. I was a season ticket holder at withdean at the time and once I had been at the job for about a month or so and proved my worth, I went and sat down with the boss. I very politely explained the situation that I lived to go to the football on a saturday afternoon and some tuesday evenings, could anything be done with the rota to accomodate this?

If you don't ask you don't get!

He said he understood and appreciated me going to ask him rather than taking 'sickies' in the future. He said he would change things around and saturdays could be my day off. He also said if i gave him enough notice for evening games then he would swap my shifts with somebody else to allow me to go to the game. On the odd saturday that i did work, i went to football and they knew that if traffic was bad leaving the game i might be 10/15 mins late to work.

I appreciate that not all employers can be so flexible and a 4 on 4 off rota is slightly different. However, it may be worth taking this approach once you are settled and if you may get a positive response.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Yep I do 4 on 4 off nights but sell My tickets for the games I can't make to a mate on the opposite shift to Me. Only missing 5 games this season. Or you could always book a day off here and there for the odd game. We can book half shifts where I work so this helps.

Last edited:

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
I work the same shifts, but 7-7.

I've had a look through my roster up until the end of May, and I can physically make it to 10 home games this season with my shift pattern. I say physically, because I'm based in Luton, so it's also a financial/logistical problem (though I can get a day return for £16). I share my season ticket with my family, so when I can't go, one of them can take my place.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I work a mix of early, late & occasional nights. Last season I had a few days leave booked so I was sorted for games, then I moved jobs mid season & my shifts changed, and I ended up missing a couple.

This season I've planned ahead, had to take 3 days leave between now & January to make the home games, plus a few more after that point. So I'm now free for every home game. I'll make fewer away games this season. But I'd rather make the home games as that's what I've spent £500 on.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Ive done shift work for the last 13 years, if its easy for you to swap shifts with other workers at your job it wont be too bad. I think the only home match i missed last year was because i was on holiday and not because of work. Ive already swapped a shift next week so i can go to the Cardiff game but the chances are i will have to miss some games this season. I'd much rather do shift work than 9-5 mon-Fri.

Really?
I worked 7-3 for 3 years and loved it, then my company introduced shift work and I was doing 11-7 every other week. I HATED it, I found myself hanging about killing time waiting to go to work, getting home late, cold, dark etc...
What do you prefer about it? Seriously because although I managed to find a new job I know there is talk of introducing shift work
here in the future ( I knew this before I signed up but better pay/location swung it for me)

Anyone? What are the positives of shift work? I want to psych myself up for the news when it comes...

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Hi guys,

A bit of advice is needed here. I have the opportunity to work for a good company with good prospects. The downside is that it would be shift work.

It would be a rota basis of 4 shifts on 4 shifts off; each shift is a 12 hour shift within an operating day of 8.00am to 8.00pm or an operating night of 8.00pm to 8.00am.

My dilemma is the fact I have a season ticket and live for going to Albion games. Has anyone had any experience of this type of shift work. How much did it disrupt you being able to get to Albion games?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A friend works the same shift hours and is always tired, by the time her body clock has adjusted from one shift it has to reajust to the new shift.Her social life is nonexistant.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I worked shifts, which were all over the place, for a year. Sometimes early mornings, sometimes day shifts, sometimes nights. Two weekends out of five. I loved the job, absolutely loved it, but I wasn't seeing my missus and I was missing about half the Albion home games.

In the end, I had to leave, for a Monday-Friday, 8.30-6 job. Less interesting, more hours, no weekends, more time with Mrs Herne Hill. Others have said the job comes first. I disagree - work is something you do to allow you to enjoy your life, unless you're in the extremely fortunate position to be doing something you love for a living.

Swindonseagull makes a very good point, though - if you have to take the job to be able to afford the football in the first place, then it'll still be better than no Albion at all.

Ooh, I wonder what job that was? :wink:

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Did shift work for 10 years, just tool annual leave for the big games and swapped for others. Word of advice though 12 hour shift work is probably up there with smoking and excessive drinking in terms of damaging some peoples long term health! Controversial I know and employers don't like to hear it but in years to come the effects of our 24 hour culture will come home to roost.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here