Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Shetland series 5 starts tonight...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I’ve read all the books, and all the Veras. They all seem to start quite slow, but are unputdownable from about half way through.

I like the Shetland series on TV better than Vera, but like the Vera books better than the Shetland books.

Ann Cleves new series of books is set in North Devon, an Inspector Venn, I’ve read the first, up to her usual high standard.

It will also be made into a ITV series starting in the near future

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I really enjoyed the latest series of Shetland, it is an underrated watch and Douglas Henshall is excellent as Jimmy Perez.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The beloved show is about to drop its seventh series, but something else dropped on Wednesday… a real bombshell: star Douglas Henshall has quit the series.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Last one with Perez however Tosh the beauty remains

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yeah Dougie is in this series. But for the last time.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
They have run out of books by the author so this series has been credited with " Based on the characters created by...... "!
They did that with Morse as well. A dozen or so books, 90-odd TV episodes before they even went on to prequels and sequels. And with Jack Frost - 6 books, 13 series.

What put me off the books is the one I read. A child disappeared, and no-one in the village remembered that another had child had disappeared the same way 20 years earlier. In a small, relatively static community like the various towns and islands of Shetland, it would still be a main topic of conversation,not a lost memory.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
They did that with Morse as well. A dozen or so books, 90-odd TV episodes before they even went on to prequels and sequels. And with Jack Frost - 6 books, 13 series.

What put me off the books is the one I read. A child disappeared, and no-one in the village remembered that another had child had disappeared the same way 20 years earlier. In a small, relatively static community like the various towns and islands of Shetland, it would still be a main topic of conversation,not a lost memory.

That's interesting. I find Ann Cleeves books to be extremely well written, and the Shetland one I have just finished had the opposite - they were still hung up on a girl's death from over a hundred years ago!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
https://metro.co.uk/2022/09/19/queens-funeral-shetlands-douglas-henshall-slammed-for-tweet-17408833/

Shetland.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The BBC has confirmed that actress Ashley Jensen will replace Douglas Henshall in forthcoming series of Shetland.

Thought she was good in Afterlife.

View attachment 153942

No thanks. I shall leave Shetland behind now Dougie has left. Afterlife was crap. Mawkish, unfunny, obvious, nonsense. IMO.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
Enjoyable series, did worry about Alice's accent in the last scenes with Perez on the beach, thought it sounded odd to say the least. So, checked up to find that Catherine Walker ( Alice) is in fact Irish! So, could they not get a Scottish actress to play a Scottish girl? odd.
I thought the actor who plays Sandy had a shit Scottish accent, until I visited Shetland and discovered that's exactly how the locals talk!

EDIT the actor Steven Robertson is actually from Shetland, so that's his natural accent.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
? Why - what's the point in replacing the main character in a series which has already outrun the books written by the creator? They should just end it there.
Have to say, having just finished reading the books, I think Ashley Jensen looks more like how I imagined Jimmy Perez than Douglas Henshall did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here