[Misc] Sherry’s - Today’s Argus

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Despite its lager boys feel
most nights, Paradox did put on some corking nights..
Babealicious was superb. I was at two of those. Despite being straight we also went to one of the Wild Fruit nights which was off the ****ing scale

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Sorry, you've lost me there. We would occasionally pop in the bar downstairs but if it was 'gay' I wouldn't have noticed. If that's what you're getting at.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sorry, you've lost me there. We would occasionally pop in the bar downstairs but if it was 'gay' I wouldn't have noticed. If that's what you're getting at.
Hungry Years was taken over - not sure when - and the ground level turned into a gay bar and the next level turned into a gay club.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I never went to Sherry's (in any of its guides). Nor did I frequent Coasters, Gloucester, Sloopy's etc. I went to the Years a few times but a little too metal for me. I went to the Curtain Club a few times and various other gay haunts. Despite being straight, I've tended to prefer gay clubs.
But I certainly knew of Sherry's and it's shocking that the Argus got it so wrong.
Me too. Ironically, much less chance of encountering nobs.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I still have a lot of my old gig tickets . . . Weller at the Zap, Jimmy Smith at the (proper) Concorde . . .

Attachments

• IMG_2926.jpeg
    IMG_2926.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2925.jpeg
    IMG_2925.jpeg
    475.8 KB · Views: 35

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hungry Years was taken over - not sure when - and the ground level turned into a gay bar and the next level turned into a gay club.
OK. Long after my time.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
It was the Paradox before becoming the Pink Coconut.
No it became the Paradox after Pink Coconut

I was a regular at PC then the Paradox Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays ! Always made Swifts our last bar before hitting the club so we could keep an eye on the length of the queue ! I also remember they later converted a small part of the front of the Paradox to become Club Barcelona !!!

Last edited:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Could they get it more wrong?

“After Sherry’s closed, it became a roller-skating rink and then a bingo hall before being demolished in the late 1960s”

It’s a big part of Brighton’s history and was still open in the early 80’s. It was then closed for a while, refurbished and re opened as The Pink Coconut.
They demolished the Crystal Room in West Street in the late 60s and that became the entrance to Sherry’s that originally had its entrance in Middle Street. As far as I was aware the guts of Sherry’s hadn’t changed since Pinky got his scar.
The Crystal Room was still there when the Suite opened - bingo and slot machines.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As an aging DJ who frequented Sherrys way back in the late 70's, why has Brighton never attracted a 'super club' to the town. By that I mean a night club putting on star DJ's from around the world. Yes we have/had all the clubs on the beach plus concorde2 and FBS with his nights. I recall a few years ago a big name have an all nighter at the Brighton Centre which sold out (Carl Cox?). But there's no Calvin Harris, James Hype et al.
Honey Club definitely was early 00s !

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Babealicious was superb. I was at two of those. Despite being straight we also went to one of the Wild Fruit nights which was off the ****ing scale
Yes, seen to remember my e I’m
yes, wasn’t that Wild Child who did those?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
They demolished the Crystal Room in West Street in the late 60s and that became the entrance to Sherry’s that originally had its entrance in Middle Street. As far as I was aware the guts of Sherry’s hadn’t changed since Pinky got his scar.
The Crystal Room was still there when the Suite opened - bingo and slot machines.
I’m sure the Crystal Rooms was still there in the early 1980s and I recall using the Middle Street entrance to Sherry’s - with the pool table in front of you as you enter - in the late 70s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here