Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shelvey & Dummett's red cards overturned

Yoda

English & European
I thought Dummett's was incorrect. I believe the rule now is if you deliberately stop a scoring opportunity as the last man then it's a red.

If you are the last man and give away a penalty, but it was just deemed to be clumsiness or a genuine attempt then it's not a red (not sure if it's meant to be a yellow?). That was probably correct to overturn.

Shelvey, however, in my opinion is a shocking decision to overturn. All I keep hearing is "he didn't make contact" or "Lansbury made it look worse". Shelvey had the CLEAR intention to kick out and make contact. The fact he was useless and missed shouldn't matter.

What a horrible little sod he is. Brilliant player......but an idiot of a human being.

Deliberate fouls will still incur a red card.

Those include holding, pulling or pushing, not playing the ball, serious foul play, violent conduct or deliberate handball in order to deny a goalscoring opportunity.

Could be argued that he pushed Lansbury (yes he was over balanced in waiting for the ball to drop to strike it) and did not play the ball.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I can guarantee that if those red cards had been given to Brighton players, then they would not be overturned... it is a ****ing disgrace IMHO...

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
"FA in wild inconsistency shock" - Why are people continually surprised?

To be fair, both were very soft reds. A yellow for Dummett and a talking to for Shelvey should've happened. To be honest though, I don't care that much, they don't get the points back, that's the most important thing for us.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
"FA in wild inconsistency shock" - Why are people continually surprised?

To be fair, both were very soft reds. A yellow for Dummett and a talking to for Shelvey should've happened. To be honest though, I don't care that much, they don't get the points back, that's the most important thing for us.

Yes, but they both get to play in games when they shouldn't be playing, so you should care... JJS is an absolute linchpin for then, so it does matter...

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Which doesn't excuse NOT rescinding Stephens' red card.

Entirely correct, the two red cards were dubious, though Shelvey's was borderline. But both were worse than Stephens supposed sin....which I didn't even consider a foul. But I'd be surprised if they'd been overturned if the FA's blue eyed boy 'the Shyster' had been the ref.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As others have said, even if they are soft reds, you have to have a pretty good case for rescinding.

So why was Shelvey's rescinded? If he tried to kick him but missed, it's still a red by the laws of the game. Exactly like that Kompany on Nani challenge a few years ago. Kompany was reckless and out of control. He missed Nani, but was still sent off. And it was the correct decision.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Yes, but they both get to play in games when they shouldn't be playing, so you should care... JJS is an absolute linchpin for then, so it does matter...

No I get that, but that was a rescinded red, correctly in my opinion. So he plays in the next match, and fairly so. They won't get the points back though will they?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
both reds overturned...so the ref will be at barnstable this saturday...life %%%% he will .....utter bollox....imagine if newcastle miss out on the title.....bloody refs ruin the game......twatts.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I thought Shelvey was a red but not a pen. The first foul was by Lansbury and he was retaliating.

I thought Dummett was a penalty, but not a red. Stopping a clear goalscoring opportunity in the box is no longer a red any more I thought. Just a yellow and a pen.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
The Shelvey one was a blatant red, he kicked out. How it has been overturned shows the hypocrisy that exists in football.

Im sure the fact that with it being Newcastle and them being media darlings has something to do about it.

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
From the FA

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned unless:
The offence is holding, pulling or pushing or
The offending player does not attempt to play the ball or there is no possibility for the player making the challenge to play the ball or
The offence is one which is punishable by a red card wherever it occurs on the field of play (e.g. serious foul play, violent conduct etc.)
In all the above circumstances the player is sent off.
Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules...12---fouls-and-misconduct#f4RAQ52Ac3g903Uc.99

Red cards for pushing and pulling!?!? That is a crazy rule given how much it happens and the fact it is usually not at all clear cut

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Red cards for pushing and pulling!?!? That is a crazy rule given how much it happens and the fact it is usually not at all clear cut
Pushing or pulling AND denying a goalscoring opportunity

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here