Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Shell defends 'difficult' decision to buy Russian crude oil, are they right? discuss

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I won't be shelling out for Shell product anytime soon, either. Is there a list somewhere of which supermarkets they supply?

they exited the refinery business in UK. might still head for one, more likely one of there's on continent.

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
American Express now suspending operations in Russia, are 'BIG' companies doing this as it is the right thing to do or profit protection due to public opinion of them?
AMEX: "In light of Russia's ongoing, unjustified attack on the people of Ukraine, American Express is suspending all operations in Russia. Additionally, cards issued locally in Russia by Russian banks will no longer work outside of the country .." $AXP

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Just highlights that this (alongside previous and other) government(s) have failed to invest in renewables and related green technology, and that there's yet another reason why this has been such a dreadful decision.
It's quite simple: either the hallowed markets are up to the job, or governments need to step in. The time for the government to step in was about 20 years ago. New Labour actually did try to move in that direction, and got somewhere. The three successive Tory/Tory-led regimes have been simply dreadful.

you're right about the long term focus needed, but no point trying to make national party politics out of this. we need change across europe and the world to transistion to nuclear and renewables on a substantial scale to move off hydrocarbons. we're doing as much as anyone on the renewables, more than most on the nuclear. trouble is the population dont like the things being built (wind, solar or nuclear), or the cost of replacing infrastructure and our favourite consumer good the car.

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
Like the people objecting to the expansion of the Rampion Wind Farm, Hideous as it will be, I would rather that than fossil fuelled power stations, apart from that you can only see it on a clear day!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
American Express now suspending operations in Russia, are 'BIG' companies doing this as it is the right thing to do or profit protection due to public opinion of them?
AMEX: "In light of Russia's ongoing, unjustified attack on the people of Ukraine, American Express is suspending all operations in Russia. Additionally, cards issued locally in Russia by Russian banks will no longer work outside of the country .." $AXP

One can never 'argue motive'. Because you are only asking that question because.....

However it all amounts to the same thing - the right direcion of travel for whatever reasons. :thumbsup:

Edit - I hadn't realise quite how well entrenched Russia was in the global financial network.

I wonder if Putin realised ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Like the people objecting to the expansion of the Rampion Wind Farm, Hideous as it will be, I would rather that than fossil fuelled power stations, apart from that you can only see it on a clear day!

The nimbys are up in arms over Graveny way (near me) over a massive solar farm.

As long as its British owned I'm all for it :shrug:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Correct.

If we can divert a mind boggling amount of money to bring a Covid vaccine online, we should now be doing the same with renewable.

It isn't as if we are short of wind in these parts.

I won't be shelling out for Shell product anytime soon, either. Is there a list somewhere of which supermarkets they supply?

I drove past your beloved Macknade today and saw how much the Shell garage opposite was charging, easy to boycott that one!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I shan’t be defending my easy decision to not buy petrol from Shell.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No problem if you want to give me £30,000 to buy an electric car and god knows how much to replace my recently installed new gas boiler.

Actually, that's exactly what should have happened. The amount of money wasted / lost by this government in recent years (e.g. £37 Billion on the Serco Track and Trace) would have funded support for every household to replace their boiler with an electric solution AND provide generous support to buy EVs. Both China (non-democratic) and Norway (democratic) did similar and the EV uptake has been amazing in both countries. Clearly they would have had to ensure the grid was capable of flexing to the demand this would add to the UK system, but it's doable, as long as the government wants to do it. I don't see this Tory government as one that has any interest in Net Zero or divesting our dependence on Russian oil & gas.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I have followed Government advice for the past few years i.e. 10 years ago use a diesel car it is less polluting.

Oh bugger 3 years ago I'm now told it isn't so back to a petrol car.

Latest lease is my first hybrid.

Final one will no doubt be electric...

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I have followed Government advice for the past few years i.e. 10 years ago use a diesel car it is less polluting.

Oh bugger 3 years ago I'm now told it isn't so back to a petrol car.

Latest lease is my first hybrid.

Final one will no doubt be electric...

diesel was pushed through 90s' and 00's because it produces less CO2 per mile. focus changed, but it was always known that there were a ton of other pollutant. now the electic is pushed, and we'll find out the drawbacks in the coming decade (which are already known, i.e. production of the batteries, deterioration, shorter life, massive generation capacity required). we still need to change in that direction, just not pretend its simple or without drawbacks.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Actually, that's exactly what should have happened. The amount of money wasted / lost by this government in recent years (e.g. £37 Billion on the Serco Track and Trace) would have funded support for every household to replace their boiler with an electric solution AND provide generous support to buy EVs. Both China (non-democratic) and Norway (democratic) did similar and the EV uptake has been amazing in both countries. Clearly they would have had to ensure the grid was capable of flexing to the demand this would add to the UK system, but it's doable, as long as the government wants to do it. I don't see this Tory government as one that has any interest in Net Zero or divesting our dependence on Russian oil & gas.

You have the right idea but before we pay everyone to buy electric cars we need to provide the infrastructure to support that. The charging point issue has to be cracked first.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You have the right idea but before we pay everyone to buy electric cars we need to provide the infrastructure to support that. The charging point issue has to be cracked first.

70% of households have driveways, so they can charge at home.

Workplaces need to provide charging infrastructure for people who drive to work or drive FOR work can change there.

All car parks need to include charging facilities.

The Fast Charge network, like GridServe's Electric forecourt in Essex need to to be increased. https://gridserve.com/braintree-overview/

With the latest EVs able to take 200+ kwh DC charging, you can charge to 80% in 15 minutes at these high capacity chargers - the fact that Tesla are allowing non Tesla owners to use there network in some territories is great news, as they have great coverage.

For the rest, those who don't charge at work, and don't have a drive, perhaps 'ownership' of a car is an outdated way of looking at it - perhaps car sharing will be the way to go in the future - where you only have a car when you need it. That would resolve most of the problems.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
70% of households have driveways, so they can charge at home.

Workplaces need to provide charging infrastructure for people who drive to work or drive FOR work can change there.

All car parks need to include charging facilities.

The Fast Charge network, like GridServe's Electric forecourt in Essex need to to be increased. https://gridserve.com/braintree-overview/

With the latest EVs able to take 200+ kwh DC charging, you can charge to 80% in 15 minutes at these high capacity chargers - the fact that Tesla are allowing non Tesla owners to use there network in some territories is great news, as they have great coverage.

For the rest, those who don't charge at work, and don't have a drive, perhaps 'ownership' of a car is an outdated way of looking at it - perhaps car sharing will be the way to go in the future - where you only have a car when you need it. That would resolve most of the problems.
That's your solution? You have a drive, so people without drives can use the bus? I don't have a drive, my workplace doesn't have a drive. I dare say the time will come when the electric car technology improves to the extent that it will be practical for all, but it isn't yet.

As for Shell, they shouldn't be buying from Russia. Russia needs imports to fund the war. When we buy from Russia, we help the war effort.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
What annoys me is that they are buying it at rock bottom bargain prices from a corrupt dictator but charging the earth for the end product.

Not defending Shell but the profit margins in refining and fuel distribution is close to didly squat - most of what we pay at pump is tax. I don’t think She’ll or BP have any refining capability in uk anymore.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

you're right about sharing, but its a couragous policy to sell to the public cutting 30% off from ownership, especially given the demographics it would effect. on other hand, the urban terrace dwellers have most access to public transport. also those high power chargers will need most domestic supplies to be upgraded, probably local substations and cabling to support too.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What annoys me is that they are buying it at rock bottom bargain prices from a corrupt dictator but charging the earth for the end product.

Its at a 15% discount to Brent crude but >USD100 / barrel isn't a rock bottom price

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here