Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Shaving subscriptions - what do you recommend?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I don't shave very often and I've gone through all my old blades, so before I buy something from the supermarket does anyone use and recommend any of the shaving subscription services?

I'm aware of Harry's and Dollar Shave Club, but I imagine there may be others too.
I’ve used Harry’s for years. If you can get an offer then it’s a very good deal upfront (happy to send a referral code to save you a fiver). I find that I don’t get through the blades anywhere near as quick as the longest subscription allows but as long as I remember (I haven’t forgotten yet) to change the date of the next set of blades being sent out then I can keep on top of my routine without really thinking about it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Out of interest, what do you class as artisan coffee?
Amazon product

I have something cheaper (£200-ish) sitting in a cupboard somewhere. It was shit - small cups, never hot enough.

I realise that you can buy machines for thousands, and beans that have all been rolled on the thighs of teenage girls (or is that cigars?) but that is beyong the sanity event horizon so I won't even go there.

I am a mug of hot filter coffee man, with lactose free milk, no sugar. I have a small metal pot that sits on the ceramic hob at #3. Boling filtered water from my on-demand boiling filtered water tap percolates (or is it diffuses) through the ground coffee. From Sainsbury (I tried the cheaper Lidl coffee recently and that was a step too far). A one minute job :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
What mugs are led to believe that shaving is such an expensive process that you need a subscription?
Indeed. Whilst I'm reluctant to line the pockets of Gillette with diligent care of the blade I can make a 4 pack of Mach 3's last 3 months

sir_gullahad

Dec 20, 2013
Cheltenhamshire
The state of shaving is ridiculous now. Vastly overpriced - the supermarkets are putting security devices on packs of blades for crying out loud!

I don't view a subscription service as a solution either for such a mundane activity. What next? toothbrushes? margarine? those air fresheners you hang on your rearview mirror?

It's a safety razor for me. And if you are feeling particularly stingy bog standard hair conditioner instead of foam/gel.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Cornerstone.

I signed up almost exactly 6 years ago and (with an introductory discount) got the handle and 6 razors for £9. I am currently using blade #4 of the original 6... :)

Mostly because I grew a beard at about the same time, so my shaving is just a tidy around the edges once a week...

I really like the blades though - they give a close shave and it's comfortable in my hand too (quit a weighty handle).

I've been toying with the idea of a first proper full-face shave since 2017, but the missus thinks it'd be weird. My daughter has never seen me without a beard, so I'd quite like to see the look on her face.

EDIT:
I've just logged into my Cornerstone account. What I got for £9 (a £10 discount was applied) was actually:
Handle + 1 blade
6 blades
Blade travel cover
Pre-shave scrub

So I've actually used 1 more blade than I thought, but got more stuff. For some reason, I had £5 of credit on the account, so more cheap stuff on the way (and probably another 6 years until my next order :lolol:)

1686241101019.png

Last edited:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Shaving is the biggest rip off going.
I use a shavette to take down the long stuff and a double edge safety razor to finish. Both take the same blades (you have to snap them in half to go in the shavette).
Shavette was £15, Safety razor was £22 and 100 blades cost me £7.49 in 2018 (still got half of them left). Coupled with Arko shaving soap at about £1.50 a bar I reckon shaving costs me about 4p a week.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Buy an electric shaver. No mess, no cuts, less time, reasonably sandpaperish, reasonably cheap.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Amazon product

I have something cheaper (£200-ish) sitting in a cupboard somewhere. It was shit - small cups, never hot enough.

I realise that you can buy machines for thousands, and beans that have all been rolled on the thighs of teenage girls (or is that cigars?) but that is beyong the sanity event horizon so I won't even go there.

I am a mug of hot filter coffee man, with lactose free milk, no sugar. I have a small metal pot that sits on the ceramic hob at #3. Boling filtered water from my on-demand boiling filtered water tap percolates (or is it diffuses) through the ground coffee. From Sainsbury (I tried the cheaper Lidl coffee recently and that was a step too far). A one minute job :thumbsup:

That's anotherr thng I don't understand: the need for such expensive machiness and those piddly pots of coffee. I have a Bialetti stovetop model - cost about £20. Lasts for years and gives a perfect shot of joe every day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just looked on Amazon 20 Blades and holder £15.99
I have been paying £14 on Harrys for 8 blades.....just this minute cancelled the subscription and will buy from Amazon in the future..

Thanks u have saved me money.
Extraordinary that I am one tech (or Mach) step ahead of you for a change ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here