Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane Duffy

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
To be fair the tabloids/media generally cause this reaction. People read some bollocks in the daily mail about a potential Duffy deal PAVING THE WAY for a Dunk exit, and believe it.

This is the reason 52% voted leave too.

Cue leave voters to explain their high brow reasons.....

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
To be fair the tabloids/media generally cause this reaction. People read some bollocks in the daily mail about a potential Duffy deal PAVING THE WAY for a Dunk exit, and believe it.

Exactly. And they shouldn't. The work experience kids who work for Mail online know nothing of the Albion and assume we would not be in a position to turn down big-money offers.

But then the work experience kids who compile most of the Sunday Times Rich List have no idea how wealthy uncle Tony really is.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Exactly
Of course Dunk might still get an offer that turns his head or is silly money from a Prem club. Who knows.
But Hughton wants an extra CB and an extra forward. 4 of them. He says it often enough.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Hughton and Barber and Bloom have consistently said this season:
- we don't want to lose our best players and want to keep our squad together - you'd argue that they've demonstrated that they intend to stick to this promise by turning down big bids for our players:
- It was fine margins that meant we didn't go up last season but depth of squad is one of them which Hughton is keen to fix. (he had Greer, Uwe, Goldson and Dunk last season remember)
- Hughton has consistently said we need another CB. He wants plenty of alternatives. Thats why we now have Sidwell, Stephens, Kayal *and* Norwood as competing DMs
- Hughton has consistently said we need a strong u23 squad because the emergency loan system has been abolished . Thats why we have the promise of Ben White *and* the experience of Ben Hall as alternatives as well in case of an injury crisis.

So why when we it looks like we're in for a player or actually sign one then the first reaction is that...
Dunk is off
Stephens is off
etc etc.

Perhaps. or Perhaps He just wants a fourth first choice centre back...Its not hard to work out thats the plan.

Very nicely put! :)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Exactly
Of course Dunk might still get an offer that turns his head or is silly money from a Prem club. Who knows.
But Hughton wants an extra CB and an extra forward. 4 of them. He says it often enough.

The Mirror are quoting £4mill, and even if you halve that it's still too much to spend on a 3rd / 4th choice CB.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Mirror are quoting £4mill, and even if you halve that it's still too much to spend on a 3rd / 4th choice CB.
Especially one who would probably have to be replaced if we do get promoted. I would sooner go down the loan route or a 1 year contract for an oldie to do the job if required at any time. Failing that spend good money on one who will still be good enough for the Premier and offer competition to those we already have.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I don't understand this view. We will have two first choice CBs out at some stage this season. If it stretches to three or four games it could potentially derail our season. We have two quality players for every other position, except Baldock's. we need four centre backs in total. Not three and an old man or an untried youngster if top two is the target.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Especially one who would probably have to be replaced if we do get promoted. I would sooner go down the loan route or a 1 year contract for an oldie to do the job if required at any time. Failing that spend good money on one who will still be good enough for the Premier and offer competition to those we already have.

We will be replacing most of the team if we get promoted. I very much doubt TB is worrying about 2 million for a CB in the grand scheme of things. Your attitude is too penny pinching :smile:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't understand this view. We will have two first choice CBs out at some stage this season. If it stretches to three or four games it could potentially derail our season. We have two quality players for every other position we need four centre backs in total. Not three and an old man or an untried youngster if top two is the target.

Sorry I cannot understand your logic of paying big money for a many who may never get in the first team and has to rely on injury, suspension or loss of form for at least 2 players.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sorry I cannot understand your logic of paying big money for a many who may never get in the first team and has to rely on injury, suspension or loss of form for at least 2 players.

Strength in depth throughout the squad. CH has said it, your view is a bit third division imo

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Strength in depth throughout the squad. CH has said it, your view is a bit third division imo

£4m is by our standards a lot of money 'just in case' and if we spend that amount of money it has to be for a player, in any position, to challenge for a first team spot not simply a back up option. Do you think Duffy as an example would put pressure on Dunk, Goldson or Huenemier. I dont.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Its a very short sighted naive view to be fair. Even coming in as 3rd or 4th choice with a big price tag if the player be it duffy or someone else shows well enough in training they wont be 3rd or 4th choice for long

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
£4m is by our standards a lot of money 'just in case' and if we spend that amount of money it has to be for a player, in any position, to challenge for a first team spot not simply a back up option. Do you think Duffy as an example would put pressure on Dunk, Goldson or Huenemier. I dont.

Seeing as only one of those is the fit and may be transferred before the window closes , yes

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have the need for a 4th CB and also a need for a 4th striker, I would sooner we spent the money either on a striker or CB who would do the job now but also be good enough if we get promoted and get a loan for the other position

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Seeing as only one of those is the fit and may be transferred before the window closes , yes

The other two are due back very soon and unlike last season with the Bong and Rosenior injury we have an adequate replacement in Bruno until then. Plus we do have Hall and White to use interim in a dire emergency either on the bench or if really urgent they could be put up to the first team. This is only for 3 games at the moment before 2 are back. Long term for the season we need a 4th but not this week. If an offer that we cannot refuse comes in for Dunk then it makes the recruitment of the CB more urgent but until then it is just work in progress to get the right one in.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The other two are due back very soon and unlike last season with the Bong and Rosenior injury we have an adequate replacement in Bruno until then.

No point in arguing further, let's revisit this during the season ?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Why not this coming week being its the last full week of the window with no loan option beyond that. Id say this week is the only opportunity left til january.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Why not this coming week being its the last full week of the window with no loan option beyond that. Id say this week is the only opportunity left til january.

Because if the centre backs we have avoid further injury and suspensions BG's cheapskate plan will have paid off :lolol:

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
We have the need for a 4th CB and also a need for a 4th striker, I would sooner we spent the money either on a striker or CB who would do the job now but also be good enough if we get promoted and get a loan for the other position

The way CH is talking Manu up,maybe no 4th striker.........!!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

The 4th choice CB should really be a decent young player coming through the ranks like Dunk and Goldson were. I thought Ben Hall was going to be that player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here